Mex Rent A Car in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HoosierDiveBuddy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
This will be our third time staying on the Island. When we go, we stay for two weeks and always rent a car. We have rented cars from Dollar, and Budget. We have had decent luck in getting good cars. But at higher prices... I was looking at Mex Rent A Car through discovercars.com and Mex Rent a Car is WAY lower than Budget or other car rental places. Just wondering if anyone here has used Mex Rent A Car or has anything to say about them. Or if anyone uses someone else? We just want a good dependable car since we are renting it for two weeks.

Use a local shop. I use ISIS.

I don't know about Mex Rent a Car but I did recommend Emily Car Rental for my Canadian friends when they were here last year for two weeks. For a Nissan Versa, additional driver, full insurance (liability, collision damage) for $35/day (then; Same now ?). Good deal for a clean car. I think the owner Abdias, works for Pepe Scuba. If interested, google Emily Car Rental. I use whatsapp to talk with them. Owner did not seem to have any issue with salt being in the trunk from gear.

Never heard of Mex Rent a Car on Cozumel. Looks like their Cabo location has almost all 1 out of 5 stars reviews on TripAdvisor -- so not looking too good: Mex Rent a Car - San Jose del Cabo | Tripadvisor

We used Budget in the past and it was fine, but I believe Budget actually closed on Cozumel a year or 2 ago.

We have had good experiences with Isis and HTL Rentals a number of times. We started preferring HTL because their cars were generally in better condition. Also, the owner/principal of Isis (who was very nice) passed away a year or so ago, and I have unfortunately seen some reports online of people allegedly being hassled for illegitimate damages by those who are now in charge.

I've also heard good things about Fiesta rental cars, but have not used them. We've used HTL 3 or 4 times now and all has gone smoothly, they will bring the car to you and pick it up if you wish also, so we'll probably keep using them.

Never heard of Mex Rent a Car on Cozumel.
They have a site Rent a car at Cozumel Airport with Mex Rent a Car and Expedia books them.

This site MEX RENT A CAR at Cozumel Airport Reviews: Rating 5/10 | Discover Cars claims that a shuttle picks you up to take you to the location, but the comments there complain about long waits.
I use ISIS.
Isis and Fiesta are the most popular I think.
I've also heard good things about Fiesta rental cars

Used Fiesta too, many times. No complaints.

I’ve used Mex in Cancun before. They are part of a bigger Mexican group that owns a few other rental businesses, like Fox and Más. I used them twice through the Rentalcars app, it all went fine. Neither better nor worse than any other budget car rental service. The cars were your standard rental fleet Aveos, Versas and the like.

Enjoy Cozumel!

I’ve had good luck with Mex on the mainland for cave diving trips - nice folks, really helpful when I had a flat tire, and they include the cost of insurance in their quotes (as does Isis).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom