Tubbataha trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

. I have dived all over the world this is the only time that I have experienced a company that would be willing to have a man who had only one week of prior experience at a site lead dives on that site. If they can not find qualified help, they souldn't be there!

Just as an example, this dive master tried to dive shark airport 5 times. He never found the site??!!!

Jeff, sorry you had such a bad time on your trip. I think you have adequately expressed your displeasure. I have also dived in many places and I have to take exception to your above statement, because in most companies what you describe is exactly what they do.. They give a week or so of training to a DM/Instructor and then set them free to conduct U/W tours. Any other business model would require the business to carry someone on overhead for an unacceptable period of time..

Again I am truly sorry that your trip s u c ked.

Cheers,
Roger

I have also dived in many places and I have to take exception to your above statement, because in most companies what you describe is exactly what they do.. They give a week or so of training to a DM/Instructor and then set them free to conduct U/W tours. Any other business model would require the business to carry someone on overhead for an unacceptable period of time..

It's unfortunate, but it's all too often true. It's simply the more profitable route for short term gain. And after all they are businesses... Luckily, i've ahd the pleasure of using a few dive ops where cutting corners wasn't their way of seing things. Often, these are the places that charge a little more, although price is definetly not a guarantee for quality...

Cheers!:coffee:

It's unfortunate, but it's all too often true. It's simply the more profitable route for short term gain. And after all they are businesses... Luckily, i've ahd the pleasure of using a few dive ops where cutting corners wasn't their way of seing things. Often, these are the places that charge a little more, although price is definetly not a guarantee for quality...

Cheers!:coffee:

Guess I've just been lucky. This is the only time I've experienced this. Everywhere else I have been was run by people who had spent significant time in the area.

Jeff, sorry you had such a bad time on your trip. I think you have adequately expressed your displeasure. I have also dived in many places and I have to take exception to your above statement, because in most companies what you describe is exactly what they do.. They give a week or so of training to a DM/Instructor and then set them free to conduct U/W tours. Any other business model would require the business to carry someone on overhead for an unacceptable period of time..

Again I am truly sorry that your trip s u c ked.

Cheers,
Roger

I only responded to this thread which is a year old because someone else brought it up again.

Of course I wouldn't expect a company to carry a DM until he became familiar w/ the reef. I would, however, expect a company to hire locals who are already familiar with the reef. I would also expect a DM to ask for advice if he didn't know what he was doing. There was a DM on the boat who had 10 years of experience diving the reef. His name was Danny. At one dive site, Danny actually spoke up and said he had never heard of anyone diving there. Surprise, surprise, the site was lame.

I would also expect a live aboard company not to crash their boats into the reef. But hey, that's just me.

Do all of you people work for expedition fleet or something. I've been on other liveaboards, and trust me, these guys are sub par.

I could come up with thousands more examples, but nobody wants to hear me rant. If you want to give your money to people who suck, go for it. I won't be giving another penny to expedition fleet.

....Do all of you people work for expedition fleet or something....
Hi Jeff, I do not work for expedition fleet. I appreciate your information and you have valid points.

This is not the first time Scubaworld has been discussed in this manner.

I only responded to this thread which is a year old because someone else brought it up again.

Do all of you people work for expedition fleet or something. I've been on other liveaboards, and trust me, these guys are sub par.

I could come up with thousands more examples, but nobody wants to hear me rant. If you want to give your money to people who suck, go for it. I won't be giving another penny to expedition fleet.

Not affiliated with them whatsoever.. I told you I felt bad for your sucky trip..

My point is they are not the only ones who adhere to that business practice...

Came across this post and found it very interesting, i note that the thread is a year old (MARCH 2008) and has been brought up again (not sure why), thought i should reply as i know Stella Maris very very well as i am the current Boat Manager on Stella Maris and i can assure you Stella Maris 2009 is in great working order and the current Tubbataha season is going well with some awesome diving being had, (some of the photos we have should be in magazines) its a shame you had a bad trip back in 2008 Jeff. Sorry about that but please refer to any comments about your trip here as (March 2008) so people know your talking about a previous season... If anyone is thinking of Joining Stella Maris Explorer this season, please do, the diving is great, the boat is in great shape and I as the Current Boat Manager of Stella Maris will endeavour to make sure you have a great time. Just for the record Jeff, if you come back i will take you to a manta cleaning station on the shark airport. ....... Safe Diving Everyone

If you are Axelle, or new boat manager of the Stella Maris, please tell the World your policy of dumping trash into the Tubbataha Marine Park - i.e. under what circumstances you deem this OK/legal?

Also please cite ordinances/laws which allows you to do this re Philippine and International laws.

As boat manager, I expect you to reply to this as I witnessed the crew of the Stella Maris dumping trash (in 15 to 20 black plastic bags) within the Tubattaha MPA last year.

Further, I took GPS positions of garbage disposal and can post these on this forum and the WWW incuding detailed maps (Google Earth, Blue Charts) should you wish.

How do you feel about this?

Maybe I ought to post this information regardless to raise awareness of your unethical and illegal practices to destroy one of the finest marine environments in the World.

Please post your viewpoint soon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom