Tubbataha trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jefffalcone

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just got back from a liveaboard to Tubbataha. I was diving aboard the Stella Maris operated by the Expedition Fleet.

All in all, I was pretty disappointed. The boat manager who chose all the dive sites and lead the dives had very little knowledge of the area. He had a total of about 2 weeks diving experience on Tubbataha, and he quite obviously didn't know how to dive the reef. He frequently would miss the site that he was trying to bring us to. He was dead wrong about the currents on every single dive. At one point he chose a site that the second mate (a local familiar with the reef) said he had never heard of anyone diving and he thought it would be good. Guess what? The second mate was right.

In defense of the boat manager, he was trying his best, he just suffered from lack of knowlege. The company should be responsible for training him better.

The conditions were terrible. The seas were very rough, and visibility was comparable to New England (50 feet max). The liveaboard company advertises that they usually experience 200 feet of visibility, but I found out that poor vis is typical for this time of year. Vis doesn't clear up for a couple of weeks still. I could tell that the diving would be excellent if conditions were right, but the vis sucked, the currents were dead (so the big stuff wasn't around) and the dive master didn't know what he was doing. The coral was spectacular. More healthy gorgonians than I've ever seen. Several varieties of coral that I'd never seen. Nice diving, just not as nice as I expected.

If you're planning a trip to Tubbataha, I suggest trying later in the season and NOT using the Expedition fleet.

oops! Fair post though. I actually heard from a friend who just got back from 2 weeks that the viz was better the first week and that this last week was bad due to low tides...I assume he knows what he's talking about as he is a diving pro.

But then so am I :D

and no-one has ever accused you of knowing what you're talking about...:D

Sorry to hear about the trip, Jeff. I've been twice and both times it was between great and excellent. Lucky me, I suppose.

wow, your trip report scare me!!!, I hope this is just your hit and miss!!!, after most of the liveaboard companies stop operate, I join the expeditionfleet yearly (last six years) most of the trips, I select the transition trip, first it is cheaper, second, you get to dive more sites, third, of cause it will be more choppy sea,transition means either the start or the end of a weather pattern, change of heavy under water moment, only this way, you get to see more big school of fishes, more sharks even a whaleshark! I saw manta fly out of the choppy sea when our rocking liveaboard boat reach Apo reef island. during transition if the current are super strong, the visibility is best for u/w photo, one of the diver guest shoot me postsing with a nurseshark, this photo even appear on a Russian dive mag. you can visit yvette's Site, this year my trip will be on the last transition, and I expect choppy sea, rocking boat. of cause I choose and prefer Pilipino dive guides., than a foreigner dive instructor level boat manager to be my dive guide. my last few year groups even have language barrier, and we don't have problem in communication with hand sign to indicate we want to eat MORE!!! thats why, this year I choose transition again with the Expeditionfleet.

and no-one has ever accused you of knowing what you're talking about...:D

Sorry to hear about the trip, Jeff. I've been twice and both times it was between great and excellent. Lucky me, I suppose.

Like I said, I could tell that the diving could be excellent provided better conditions. The dive guide was referencing written materials provided by the expedition fleet to try to predict tides, and currents, and the information he had was consistantly wrong. He was doing the best he could and really trying to please the guests, he just didn't have the experience he needed.

I still had a great time. Just didn't live up the the very high expectations I had. Any time under water is great, right?

You called it how it was Jeff. Good to know you still had a good time, despite the explorer fleet wasting your time and money. Do a search on them here, and see what you bring up. People here have mix feelings about them.

When you do come back, try to not go with a liveaboard and be based at a dive resort in one of the many beautiful locations we have here. With the amount a tubbataha liveaboard costs, you can go diving in 3 different dive locales for that price. Or for the same time you spend on the liveaboard (one week), you can spend half the amount it costs. Some people will argue the liveaboards are worth it, but I'm still enthusiastic about diving and travelling to different places in the PI for a fraction the cost. Maybe when I'm older and get serious about making money I'll drop the cash for it! :D

...after most of the liveaboard companies stop operate, I join the expeditionfleet yearly...

Hi Guys, update me, I've been out of the RP liveaboard diving loop for a while. It sounds like Scuba World has almost cornered the market on Tubbataha liveaboards. Is that the case? Monopolies are never good, especially when the monopolizer has a spotty record.

Drew

correct drew. There are other liveaboards that are based in Palawan and Mindinao but do not advertise or have an international (or manila even) presence the way Scubaworld does.

correct drew. There are other liveaboards that are based in Palawan and Mindinao but do not advertise or have an international (or manila even) presence the way Scubaworld does.
Thanks Chip, that's too bad.

The only boats I know in the Philippines with a worse reputation than the Scuba World liveaboards are Sulpicio ferries.:11:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom