Tubbataha, Philippines liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with everybody, much better to get your AOL first, there are some dives with currents that will certainly 'test your ability'!!!

I just did Tubbataha in April.... I would not recommend it for a beginner or newly certified diver. As has been mentioned, conditions can change rather quickly. You're out in open ocean (close to a 100 miles away from Puerto Princesa). Currents can change direction (more than once during the same dive) It's mostly wall and drift dives, lots of deep dives... Our entire group dived Nitrox (Tubbataha lends itself to that especially if you want to dive 5 times a day)

Maybe your girlfriend would be fine and maybe not. No way to know really. It's very isolated.... not a good place to find out if she is ready or not.

Why Tubbataha? My recommendation is to go to Puerto Galera or Anilao and enjoy the diving there. El Nido although isolated was also very nice and underated as a dive destination. I've enjoyed Malapascua and Moalboal as well. All these places have a variety of sites that are better suited for a beginner. I'm sure that there are other places that others would recommend here.

Save Tubbataha for another trip when she has more experience. Just my two yen's worth :)

Last edited:
Tubbataha is not a place to take an open water course as it is not a controlled environment (mostly strong currents) and you may not have time to finish the course in a liveaboard to really enjoy the sightseeing. I highly recommend getting certified before going there, get some dive experience in Anilao, Batangas for about a week, then board the liveaboard that depart from Anilao to Tubbataha. This will give you 7 nights in the liveaboard for the same price as 5 nights with diving along the way, till you dive in Tubbataha. There are number of liveaboards departing from Anilao in March.

sorry I have to respectfully disagree with a few of my friends here :)

IMHO even spending a week getting certified and a few dives in first will not be adequate preparation for Tubbataha. If they're comfortable in the water they would "probably" be okay, but is it worth the risk?

Yes, the guides and other divers would watch out for her and help. No doubt of that. But when they're so many other great places to dive in the Philippines with sites more suitable for someone who will still be a beginner why not do that instead?

I've just noticed that the OP started this thread 3 weeks ago and hasn't commented back.... you still there roolins? Please don't think anyone is trying to discourage you from diving in the Philippines :) We're just being safety conscious :)

I greatly enjoyed Tubbataha, but there are other places in the Philippines I would go back to before making another trip there :) If you have any questions please feel free to PM me. Many of the posters here would also I'm sure be happy to help or advise you privately if you prefer it.

If we didn't think so highly of Philippines diving we wouldn't be here :)

Hi,

Thanks everyone for their responses. I have been keenly reading everyones views and really appreciate it.

I don't think Tubbataha will be part of the trip becuase of the good reasons that its not for beginners etc. I am also pretty limited on time (and its pretty costly) so maybe a good reason to come back in the future!!!

I really like the look of the wreck diving available near Coron and we were thinking about the Apo Reef too as an alternative as we liked the idea of Mindaro and heading to Pandan Island just off Sablayan for a few days. Any thoughts on that? I think I can get to the Coron wrecks from that area too.

Were thinking about heading to Boracay too, I know its not supposed to be a particularly good place to dive but it seems like a philippines 'must see'. I was a little worried it would be the philippines version of Phuket which is definately not what I am after!!

Thanks again for all the thoughts, its difficult trying to plan the best of what seems like an awesome country in such limited time (10days) so all the comments help a lot

I've heard good things about Apo, but haven't dived it myself. I liked Coron, but you really have to be into wrecks. Be prepared for poor visibility. The worst that I've experienced in the Philippines. Not that I didn't enjoy the diving though :wink: There are other things to see and do in Coron too besides dive.

Puerto Galera is good and also a good place to gain more experience as they have a wide variety of diving there. Anilao is great and nice if you want a "quiet" vacation. You don't have the night life that you have in PG.

You might consider Malapascua Island also. Good variety there also, just a little isolated :wink: Not as isolated as El Nido which I also liked and wished I had more than one day to dive at. I also enjoyed Moalboal and consider Pescador Island to be one of the top places that I've dived in the Philippines.

I've never been to interested in Boracay because it seems there are so many other (better) places to dive. It's one of those places I'll get around to at some point. I do hear that it's a fun place though :wink:

I know from personal experience how hard it can be to narrow everything down when planning a dive trip :)

Bottom line, you'll have a hard time going wrong diving in the Philippines. I'm sure you'll have a great time! :)

Roolins, from what I know Apor Reef is similar to Tubataha. Liveaboard diving (although on occasion you can find a day boat; but it,s a long boat ride), on a reef that has lots of changing currents. Not beginner material, as with Tubba.

Really, the other places you've mentioned will givbe you much much more experience and fun for your money.

Just my 0.02$:coffee:

Hi,

Thanks everyone for their responses. I have been keenly reading everyones views and really appreciate it.

I don't think Tubbataha will be part of the trip becuase of the good reasons that its not for beginners etc. I am also pretty limited on time (and its pretty costly) so maybe a good reason to come back in the future!!!

I really like the look of the wreck diving available near Coron and we were thinking about the Apo Reef too as an alternative as we liked the idea of Mindaro and heading to Pandan Island just off Sablayan for a few days. Any thoughts on that? I think I can get to the Coron wrecks from that area too.

Were thinking about heading to Boracay too, I know its not supposed to be a particularly good place to dive but it seems like a philippines 'must see'. I was a little worried it would be the philippines version of Phuket which is definately not what I am after!!

Thanks again for all the thoughts, its difficult trying to plan the best of what seems like an awesome country in such limited time (10days) so all the comments help a lot

Hi Bill, I've dived Puerta Galera and twice at Dumaguette. Loved the diving there and am considering Tubbataha for what I hope to be even more diversity and "big stuff." You say you probably wouldn't go back to Tubbataha. Why not? Is it over rated? Is it too isolated and too weather dependent? Too expensive? Which boat were you on? Thanks.

... I greatly enjoyed Tubbataha, but there are other places in the Philippines I would go back to before making another trip there :)

Hi Bill, I've dived Puerta Galera and twice at Dumaguette. Loved the diving there and am considering Tubbataha for what I hope to be even more diversity and "big stuff." You say you probably wouldn't go back to Tubbataha. Why not? Is it over rated? Is it too isolated and too weather dependent? Too expensive? Which boat were you on? Thanks.

What I liked about Tubbataha was lots of sharks, more than I've ever seen in one area (including a hammerhead which I had never seen), big schools of fish, marble rays, turtles, big tuna, biggest titan triggerfish I've ever seen, biggest lobster I've ever seen (plural).... you get the picture :)

As I said, I greatly enjoyed Tubbataha :) I met a guy last month in Southern Leyte who dives it every year. That should tell you something :wink:

In answer to your questions, no I don't think it's over-rated. I saw the things I expected to see (see above). It IS isolated which is why we're able to see the things we see there, so that is a plus.

It is weather dependent which can be frustrating for some. The weather wasn't exactly cooperative for us when I dived there last year. All this meant was that we had to do some adjusting. We only had one dive cancelled the week I was there and they made it up on the last day for the people who weren't flying the next day.

I did not think it was too expensive. Bang for the buck is probably a big reason that many people dive in the Philippines :wink: I dived with the Borneo Explorer.

I'm sure I will dive Tubbataha again some day, but I only have so much money to spend on dive trips and there are lots of places on my list to dive yet :)

Back
Top Bottom