Tsunami

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was reading quickly some of the threads and I think This is not the time to argue about who is doing what when and all the other crap that some people wrote. But lets just do what we think has to be done and help them. This is why we have so many problem in the world is because people just can't help each other they alwasy have to argue about it so lets just SHUT UP and HELP who ever needs it.... (if the hat fits wear it if not then you will understand.)

yes, i pray for them every night...and i was really happy when i heard that the country giving the most money for relief is germany...with 679 million dollars! my family donated like 200 dollars ... did u know this is the worst natural disaster ever recorded?!

You might want to go back to the links someone posted on the previous page. IN 1931 there was a flood in China that killed 3.7 million people. That was probably worse.

China also had a pretty bad earthquake in 1976 by the looks of it.

R..

jewelrox1:
did u know this is the worst natural disaster ever recorded?!
Well, it certainly has had more media coverage than all other major natural disasters combined.

Actually, some dude on the O'Reilly factor just stated that this is the largest mass mortality of people since Nagasaki. So much for reporting the facts.

I would just like to point out that the money the US has pledged will be paid unlike so many other countries. Case in point, Iran and it's big earthquake a couple of years ago. One Billion was pledged by various countries, 17.5 million has been recieved. In addition, the relief effort so far by the US is NOT part of that money. Got any idea how much it costs to run and aircraft carrier every day? I believe at this point we have 10 boats with more on the way and a bunch more helos going too....I see a bunch of countries trying to make the US look bad. BFD, let em try, just show them the money not your mouths. It would be nice to have a little world help for a change.

The U.S. helicopter presence is supposed to be doubled shortly. I guess they'll stuff 'em aboard the Lincoln or the assault carrier on station. Helicopter assets are critical; only they can easily get to those hard-to-reach areas. Many of the airstrips are unusable on the littler islands, so supplies can't be flown in by fixed-wing aircraft. I'd assume runway repair is a number one priority.

There is always nice pictures of US's army helping the people in Aceh in local newspaper - the helicopter effective supplies save lot of life. I believe everybody here highly appreciate the US aid now. Singapore army is helping to repair bridge and runway. French is providing clean water, and more and more nations working very hard there but Mr. Powell still become the star

Sylvain:
I was reading quickly some of the threads and I think This is not the time to argue about who is doing what when and all the other crap that some people wrote. But lets just do what we think has to be done and help them. This is why we have so many problem in the world is because people just can't help each other they alwasy have to argue about it so lets just SHUT UP and HELP who ever needs it.... (if the hat fits wear it if not then you will understand.)

I have a hard time dealing with all this. Why, by the grace of God/Allah/Creator, do we in the US have the luxury to argue about who gives the most, or point fingers at those who don't, when we are ALIVE. We are the ones who have the luxury to spend our spare time diving - not for survival, but for fun. We are the ones who have been spared the droughts, the genocides, the floods, the ebola virus, the tsunamis which we see happening on CNN. Why? Don't get me wrong, as individuals we do deal with the tragedies of life, including 9/11. But as a country, we keep pouring our resources at a billion bucks a pop into a missile - spending mega bucks killing a few people - when we could bring peace, health and prosperity to the rest of the world including our own.

I don't want to deal with a guilt complex about this - I'm grateful to be enjoing a life where the most likely way of unexpected demise is a car wreck, or for you divers the compression factor, rather than some soldiers descending on me and my family or a wave taking my loved ones - but I just haven't figured out the scheme of things?

Anyone there who has the answers?

In the meantime, I'll go along with Snowbear. I'm going to send my bucks to where the people on site in Sri Lanka can fill the need without Ms. Dole of the Red Cross getting her $300,000 plus a year pay out of my hard earned cash.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom