Tsunami

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jepuskar:
This may be the highest death count via a single incident that we may ever experience, but you cant tell that from the media.
Actually, some of the more sensational media wackos's are doing just that. However, there are plenty of natural disasters in history that top this. Oh how easily we forget our past.

here's a website of the worst disasters due to earthquakes and volcanoes. Check out the year 1976.
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0001439.html

here's listing of disasters from avalanches, flooding, and tidal waves. Check out the year 1931.
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0001440.html

Archman,

When I posted that, I meant my lifetime....obviously some here are older than others. :)

I did not know about the earthquake in China in 1976.

Also, NIMBY refers to physical location. It is a term frequently used by Environmental groups and others who realize the necessity of potential hazardous waste dumps, but just don't want them anywhere near where they live. As long as it is 'Not In My BackYard', than I don't care. I guess I could have been more clearer.

:)

For the record...

J... we're glad you stopped trolling too! :D

I also agree with your three statements.

So, just because we disagree on what we think are "obvious issues" we don't have to flame anyone. We are dangerously close to the "no politics" line here, and perhaps edged over a bit.

However, we need to talk through our feelings about this and how the international community is serving the needs.

On a side note, we sould like a FIRST HAND report on the tsunami for our portal. Being a diver would be awesome, but not essential for what we have in mind. Please PM me is you know of anyone. Thanks in advance.

As it was so well put earlier, the scope of this disaster is so huge that it is taking time to absorb & react- our military did react quickly, & will continue to do a great job. But, Americans have always reached out to those in need & this is no exception. Along with the US Government, the Red Cross, & other relief organizations, churches are already doing their part. My church updated their website at least three days ago to include a way to contribute- here's a link: https://www.activeword.org/Tsunami-Relief/index.cfm? Rest assured that our church is not the only one doing this- just call any of your local churches & ask- then, please contribute to some relief organization. Also, rest assured that there will be many Americans who give to the Red Cross & turn around & give to their churchs as well. I'll not be surprised if many employers set up funds for their employees to contribute to also. Although I don't watch TV, I'm actually very glad to hear that CNN & Fox are both reporting extensively on the tsunami- I hope that they continue to do so, keeping it in the forefront of everyone's minds. My prayers are with all of the people who were affected & my prayers will also be that we all are able & willing to contibute in some way.

Regardless of what country any money or supplies come from, it wouldn't surprise me if the donations from the general public don't match or exceed what the governments put out.

Much will be said about various countries sending military personnel etc, etc, but, how much will be said about the local people and even many tourists that have and will work tirelessly for little or no recognition or compensation.

When things calm down a bit more, the media will bless us with images of various leaders riding in helicopters surveying the damage and then telling us how tragic and substantial the damage is, as if we didn't already know.

In the end, it will be all about public relations and photo ops for the worlds politicians.

archman:
Actually, some of the more sensational media wackos's are doing just that. However, there are plenty of natural disasters in history that top this. Oh how easily we forget our past.

here's a website of the worst disasters due to earthquakes and volcanoes. Check out the year 1976.
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0001439.html

here's listing of disasters from avalanches, flooding, and tidal waves. Check out the year 1931.
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0001440.html

Looking back at the ancient events with 200,000 plus deaths--just think---there was no worldwide response to help the survivors. The was no worldwide news media there to focus on and second guess every little mistake or misjudgment made by any person there that may have been trying to help. The people affected by the event coped the best they could and went on with their lives.

Here is a quote from MSNBC, the entire page with its credit can be found through the link below. Can you imagine this?

"On the resort island of Phuket, Thailand, Wut Salika stood on a quiet beach. He was loading up his boat with five tourists in scuba gear when something happened that he had never seen before: From the shore on which he stood to a row of yachts moored a quarter-mile out, the sea simply vanished. It happened in less than 30 seconds. Salika and his clients were more confused and surprised than frightened, he recalled. Some picked up fish that were flopping in the newly exposed sand. They took pictures. They laughed."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6776425/

archman:
First off, there are at least a couple thousand americans unaccounted for, so the NIMBY analogy doesn't hold water. Second, I haven't seen much on Fox News that wasn't tsunami-related for the last few days, 'cept the New Year's junk. CNN's website is similarly chock-full of tsunami news... its hard to filter it out and see what else is happening worldwide (which is a LOT by the way).

I wouldn't view a delay in a public press release as a sign that the government response was slow. The U.S. military had significant assets in play the morning of December 28th... that's a VERY fast response time.

Note the many "if's" in this quote from from a Department of Defense press release. At the time, even they weren't sure what was going on. Yet they were mobilized anyway. Hooray for our side. Nobody else's relief efforts come even close in actual on-site assistance. I think an entire Marine brigade is even shipping out to Sri Lanka.

Donating money for humanitarian relief is fine and dandy, but what really counts right now is getting people on the ground to assess damage and directly help, and transport necessary cargo. The U.S. is definitely doing a bang-up job in that regard. I keep close tabs on the military deployments, and they're considerable and growing. Here, visit the U.S. Navy's newspage to see what's going on with just that branch of the military. There are even two oceanographic survey ships heading out to check out the earthquake site.
http://www.navy.mil/

Very well put, archman.

I understand that people are very upset about the tragedy in Asia. However I think that we would all do better to keep our energy and love directed towards those that need it at this time - rather than allowing our frustrations to surface in fighting here. I have now deleted several posts to prevent this fighting. If anyone attempts to restart this fight I will immediately take further action.

My sister sent this email. She works for USAID in DC and was stationed in Jakarta for ~4 years. I met Jim and Laurie while I was there - way cool folks. The site has the donation info and that the money will be used mainly for post-emergency rebuilding and restoration projects.
Jim & Laurie's web site
If you are thinking of donating to the disaster, the below information is from close friends of mine who work in Sri Lanka (I knew Laurie and Jim in Indonesia, and now Laurie runs our contractor office in Sri Lanka and Jim is helping out with the disaster directly). I trust these two implicitly. Any funds transferred to their account (found on their website they just threw together) will go directly to help victims, and will be monitored by Laurie and Jim. They are doing this on the side (apart from their current work). K and I are donating $500 to them.
Another idea for medical supplies. There is an ER nurse here in Anchorage who is a one woman clearing house for getting unused medical supplies to needy places. The hospitals all have an incredible amount of waste - if a "package" gets opened for a patient, nothing in there is allowed to be resterilized and used for a different patient, even if it didn't get used - this includes things like unused suture materials, bandaging materials, tape, drugs, syringes, even brand new instruments like scalpel handles, blades and forceps!! So she collects these things and boxes them up or puts them in donated suitcases. There are a couple of airlines that will donate cargo space as available to go as "extra baggage" with someone travelling. Might be something for you medico types to consider coordinating in your local areas?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom