TSandM's Panic in the experienced diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think it's great to bring up these "old" posts, I never saw this one before.

And to contribute, after thousands of dives as a guide and having a number of, ehm... "oh duck" moments concerning me or customers It took me switching to underwater construction to figure out why people panic.
It was one of my first working dives, I was clearing a ledge of debris and after lifting my first rock the visibility went to 0. Before this I was caught up in cave and wreck siltouts where i was under the impression it was 0 vis but apparently I was wrong. In my head at that moment the situation was not "oh duck" but "oh duck this, I'm out". I can completely understand how someone would react badly to a similar stressor, and I'm a better diver for going trough it.

Now I even enjoy working in 0 vis.

And to contribute, after thousands of dives as a guide and having a number of, ehm... "oh duck" moments concerning me or customers It took me switching to underwater construction to figure out why people panic.
It was one of my first working dives, I was clearing a ledge of debris and after lifting my first rock the visibility went to 0.

Acclimatizing to zero vis was discussed in considerable detail in this thread:

Aside from being a common condition for commercial and military divers, panic control is why our early training begins in black water.

I reread the entirety of it again. Really a thought provocing question and a good read. Recognized quite some names from days past..and even didn't realize some were banned? (dumpsterdiver, Kevrumbo).

Cheers!
Why was Kevrumbo banned?

Back
Top Bottom