TSandM -- Lynne Flaherty

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I missed this until a few days ago. Upon realizing that Lynne was indeed missing I was stunned. My wife who never posts but reads this board was shaken. We pray for her beautiful soul and offer our condolences to Peter and family and friends who knew her and counted upon her love and friendship.

James (N)

Over 400 posts in tribute to Lynne I think that says a lot about her character and how many people and has affected.

Today is Lynne's memorial and not a day has gone by since her passing that I haven't thought of her and Peter. I have written and rewritten several "posts" to try and express my feelings and every one of them has fallen short of what I wanted to say... Which, ironically, is one of the things I respected most about Lynne. She seemed to have the ability to put fingers to keyboard and almost effortlessly get her point across with just the tone she intended. She truly had a gift. At any rate, it's past time to say something so I'm just going to push through it and hope it begins to convey my feelings.

To start, I want to just get this out of the way: For whatever reason, I feel like it is important to add my voice to the dozens of others who dove with her, to say, she didn't just talk the talk, she walked the walk.... She was the most safety-conscious diver I have ever dove with. I can't imagine this was anything but an accident that occurred while diving.

Now, about Lynne: The reason I am where I am in my diving is because of Lynne, more than any other individual. She introduced me to GUE and encouraged me through some rough times. I have had some great mentors in the past few years, but I wouldn't be in the position to have had those mentors were it not for Lynne and her support and direction. I am very grateful I had the opportunity to spend a long weekend diving with her in FL caves. We had talked about me visiting WA and coordinating timing for our trips to Mexico (seems like we always missed each other by week or two) and I still am in disbelief that is not to be.

Another one of her gifts was that Lynne was a "connector" - she brought people together. Off the top of my head, I can think of four or five people that I've gotten to know well, that I may never have known had Lynne not introduced us. I can only imagine how many others are in the same position!

Finally... and most importantly... the loss that everyone else is feeling can be but a fraction of what you are going through Peter. I know we are just acquaintances but if there is anything I can do please let me know. I am so very sorry for your loss.

Lynne you will be missed.

We never met Lynne, therefore never dove with her. However, we were in Puerto Aventuras, Mexico this past week, and she and I had respectively posted about our experiences there.

We did six dives in the ocean (which wasn't her preference) and two in cenotes (Car Wash and Temple of Doom). Neither my wife nor I are cave certified, and did our cenote dives with a fully cave-certified guide, staying well within the constraints for non-cave divers. After the cenote dives, we both acknowledged that we thought about her presence while we were in the water, and how much of a contribution she had made to diving and ScubaBoard.

I am not active on this forum these days. But a good friend that I was diving with over the weekend mentioned Lynne's disappearance, and my recollections of her contributions here were enough for me to realize that this community has suffered a loss.

My deepest condolences to those that were close to her, you have lost much more. If it helps at all, she left a very positive impression everywhere she went.

I am in total shock over this loss. My sincere condolences to Peter, I am so sorry. And to her friends and family. And to this board, who has suffered a tremendous loss and a voice silenced far too soon. Rest in peace, Lynn, and know you touched so many people.

Lynne was my favourite person on SB and one of the few I was actually looking forward to meet some day. This forum will never be the same without her. My condolences to Peter and the rest of her family. May she have fun with Sheck on the other side.

Another one of her gifts was that Lynne was a "connector" - she brought people together.

The church where her memorial service was held seats (according to their website) about 460 people. It was packed ... to the point where they had to open up the back, put folding chairs in the aisles, and there were still people standing. There were maybe 50 or more people who flew in from various locations for her memorial service. As Peter was introducing them I was struck by how many of these people I've met ... and that I'd met all of them through Lynne, including several who I have considered dear friends for years.

Come to think of it, Kate ... I met you primarily because of the trip Lynne made down to Florida to dive with you, and the subsequent discussion on ScubaBoard about that trip.

She was, indeed, a "connector" ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I'm so sorry for your loss Peter. I wish you and your families my deepest sympathies. May you find peace in this time of loss.

Having been away from SB for a little while now, I was absolutely shocked to read of Lynne's passing / accident when I logged on today. I'm probably in the same position as a lot of people on here who never met Lynne in person, but really appreciated her calm, always helpful and cheerful contributions on here. She came across as a person with a beautiful soul, I can only imagine that those who knew her personally must have a large hole in their lives.

Last edited:
Eternal Father, strong to save,
Whose arm hath bound the restless wave,
Who bidd'st the mighty ocean deep
Its own appointed limits keep;
Oh, hear us when we cry to Thee,
For those in peril on the sea. . .

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ic8zMkYwnq8[/video]

Back
Top Bottom