TSA Locks, issues ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

muzikbiz22

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Greetings all,

Has anyone ever had issues with TSA locks / padlocks on their bags, either coming from or going to Cozumel ? Didn't know if the Mexican version of our TSA, also "has a key" for TSA locks.

Comments appreciated, thanks in advance !

109 degrees in Los Angeles today :depressed:

Muzikbiz22in SoCal

The only times my bags have been opened is by TSA agents in the states. I have had my bags searched after scanning in Cozumel going through customs. They took away my contraband dog treats! Apparently you can bring in chicken dog treats as long as they were made in the US. Mine were made in Canada and so they told me they were illegal. TSA has always left a note letting me know they looked into my bag and nothing was ever stolen.

I traveled to Mexico with a bag with a TSA lock once. I flew into Cancun then out of Cozumel for the trip back home. No problems at all. That was about 1.5 years ago. I'm not sure if they also have their own keys, but I think they search everyones' bags just before you board the plane when you leave. It's done right in front of you, so there isn't much to be concerned with in that regard.

Apparently you can bring in chicken dog treats as long as they were made in the US. Mine were made in Canada and so they told me they were illegal.

In Xmas of 2008 my grandmother and I "smuggled" a metric ton of various kinds of dog treats into Cozumel for my mom and stepdad's dogs. I think we got away with it because the night before we left we dumped all of the treats into ziploc bags. That way they couldn't check the ingredients label (meat products aren't allowed as far as I remember), and if they asked us what they were, the plan was just to say "cookies" (and hope they didn't respond by saying, "prove it, take a bite").

Sorry for going a little off topic, but I thought someone might get a kick out of that. We definitely got a good laugh out of the whole thing.

I dont use them but a couple of friends of mine do and they have had them cut off a couple of times.

I use the standard electric ties. They are cheap and keep honest people out just like TSA locks do but much cheaper. Neither will keep out anyone bent on stealing your stuff. I have had my bags opened and the first thing they see is a big piece of paper indicating who the bag belongs to, ph #, and spare ties with the request to re-secure the bag.

They have always left a note when opening my bags and so far always re-secured it for me.

I wouldnt waste the money on the locks.

I dont use them but a couple of friends of mine do and they have had them cut off a couple of times.

I use the standard electric ties. They are cheap and keep honest people out just like TSA locks do but much cheaper. Neither will keep out anyone bent on stealing your stuff. I have had my bags opened and the first thing they see is a big piece of paper indicating who the bag belongs to, ph #, and spare ties with the request to re-secure the bag.

They have always left a note when opening my bags and so far always re-secured it for me.

I wouldnt waste the money on the locks.
Thanks RICHinNC,

You're about the 3rd person I've "talked to" using zip ties or cable ties, and leaving a note in the your bag for them to re-secure. Seems like that just makes total sense. Great logic.

I didn't lock mine, but on the way back on the 23rd someone tossed my bag. They opened my shave kit and broke the protective case on my electic razor and left the shave kit open. They also pulled my spare prescription glasses out of the case and left them laying in there. There was no note about who was in the bag. I am all for security, but this annoyed me a bit. Do they leave a note on the MX side of things? I figured it wasnt TSA or CBP as they always leave a note right?

In Xmas of 2008 my grandmother and I "smuggled" a metric ton of various kinds of dog treats into Cozumel for my mom and stepdad's dogs. I think we got away with it because the night before we left we dumped all of the treats into ziploc bags. That way they couldn't check the ingredients label (meat products aren't allowed as far as I remember), and if they asked us what they were, the plan was just to say "cookies" (and hope they didn't respond by saying, "prove it, take a bite").

Sorry for going a little off topic, but I thought someone might get a kick out of that. We definitely got a good laugh out of the whole thing.

Thats exactly what I am going to do this trip. My friends dogs were so disappointed that I did not have their treats. Happy to hear it worked for you.

i use them. no problems.

I didn't lock mine, but on the way back on the 23rd someone tossed my bag. They opened my shave kit and broke the protective case on my electic razor and left the shave kit open. They also pulled my spare prescription glasses out of the case and left them laying in there. There was no note about who was in the bag. I am all for security, but this annoyed me a bit. Do they leave a note on the MX side of things? I figured it wasnt TSA or CBP as they always leave a note right?

In Mexico, the only times that they have gone thru my bags is in customs. That was right in front of me. I travel to Mexico 3 times a year and always use a TSA lock and it has never been cut. I have used the plastic ties before I got my new (over 3 years old now) luggage and started to leave a note and a spare tie just in case they went thru my bag it could be secured again. Honestly, I would secure any bag I travel with using any means I am comfortable with and hope for the best.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom