TSA Locks, issues ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In Mexico, the only times that they have gone thru my bags is in customs. That was right in front of me. I travel to Mexico 3 times a year and always use a TSA lock and it has never been cut. I have used the plastic ties before I got my new (over 3 years old now) luggage and started to leave a note and a spare tie just in case they went thru my bag it could be secured again. Honestly, I would secure any bag I travel with using any means I am comfortable with and hope for the best.

Well, nothing was stolen. At least I have figured out anything that was missing. I guess I need to buy some TSA locks...... It was a direct Airtran flight. They said they would send me $25 coupons for both of us. I was more concerned that they figure out where it happened.

I've been using the TSA locks for years. Never had any problems in or out of Coz; never had a lock cut off; but have had the bag searched stateside without TSA leaving a notice a few times.

There are a number of types of locks you can get - key or combination. Of the combination locks, one type is just a basic TSA approved lock, the other actually has a small indicator that lets you know if your lock was opened. If the indicator is green it hasn't been opened, if it's red the bag has been opened. These are the kind I use so I always know right away if the bag has been opened. I don't have to wait to see if TSA left a notice or not.

I figured it wasnt TSA or CBP as they always leave a note right?

Mostly they do,sometimes not. As with everything to do with TSA it just depends on the phase of the moon

I've had bags arrive with locks,without locks and once with the locks INSIDE the bag! Gave up on them after that and went back to zip ties.

Locks on your bags are something of a moot point, since anyone with an ink pen can open a suitcase...

I have used them for years with no problems....I bought mine at WalMart or Target can't remember which store. I use the small ones and they are inexpensive..they have been all over the Caribbean and to Fiji w/o any problems

Use them all the time, world wide, never a problem and always a note inside the bag with housings, strobes and sync cords from the TSA when we arrive at our destination. At most locations in Mexico, you push a button and if you get a red light, you open up your bags for inspection at customs and when you leave, you open your bags for inspection right before you check your bags.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom