Trying to select Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To say you don't like split fins is fine To condemn them to others says a lot about you.
Personally, I don't care for them, but I've tried splits and have to admit they do work.
------------------
D.C.C.

people are going to use what they want to use. I just posted my opinion. the guy did not seem happy with the split fins he had, and I think he is making a bad decision buying another set just to be un-happy again.

that does not say anything about me, other than my opinion

Erik I noticed that you have been alive about as long as I have been diving, what a coincidence. If you don't like split fins or can't use them because of the technique required than say so. I have a pair of Atomic split fins as does my wife ( also an inst. w/ 1000+ dives) We love them. Now, I also dive a pair of SP jet fins when I'm cave diving, and I use a pair of MAres when I'm wreck diving in warm water. But whenI'm diving a warm water reef I love my splits. I did my own little test with several pairs of fins that we own. Blades, Avanti's and Quatros, Jet's & Splits. To keep this short, the splits won, not even close. I have also dove my splits in some incredible currents and they have performed well. Split fins aren't for everyone and may not be for every diving condition, but for MANY of us they are good fins. To the original poster. If your buying splits the 2 best are either the Apollo's or the Atomics, good luck.

I love my Apollo Bio's. My dive buddy who's been diving ten years longer than I have dove with Turtles he tried my Apollo's on our last dive and couldn't believe it. He constantly had to look back at his feet to see if they were still there. I dove his Turtles and couldn't keep up. Of course I've only been diving about a year.
Tomorrow were diving the Yukon, guess what fins he's diving with. A pair of Apollo's , blue to match his suit. I think the blue ones are stiffer and don't perform as well as the original floppy's. Contrary to popular belief. My other dive buddy who I wen't through OW/AOW class ended up buying Sherwood Trek's because he was having problems in class. Instructor let him try his Trek's and voila another satisfied customer. I tried his Trek's but they were to stiff for my liking my next set will be Atomics split fin to compliment my gear bag.

Jeff Gray

There are good runners and mediocre runners...Why? Leg Strength, build, Stamina, training, We are not all equal in the water either. Remember this. Just for the record, I've gone thru a couple of different types in My day as well. I currently use SP Jet's here...they rock..Current , Surge, and Surf..Different Strokes for Different Folks. Thumbs up for em' in my book...

erikharwell:
split fins stink

I have been diving since 1970 and for most of that time I only used jet fins. A couple of years ago I decided to try split. I opted for the scuba pro twin speeds. They are much stiffer that the others on the market. I mostly frog kick (I grew up cave diving and almost never scissor) and can keep up with anyone I dive with. I had a buddy that tried to prove they were slower that jets and he tried to outswim me. I kept up using much less effort than he did. I can back up just fine. I don't know why others can't seem to do it. I dive mostly in PNG in very high currents. Again, I keep up with the others with less effort. I hate to say it, but I recently gave away my old jets. I just wasn't using them anymore.
BTW, they do just fine in caves, folks.

Originally Posted by erikharwell

"that does not say anything about me, other than my opinion"

Actually, it speaks volumes....

Back
Top Bottom