Trying to select Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mgnau

Registered
Reaction score
I've settled on one brand. They have 2 fins that I'm interested in. The Apollo Bio Split Fin and the firmer Apollo Bio XL Split Fin. I'm moving up from the Scubapro JetFin.
Does anyone really know the difference in using?

Mgnau:
I've settled on one brand. They have 2 fins that I'm interested in. The Apollo Bio Split Fin and the firmer Apollo Bio XL Split Fin. I'm moving up from the Scubapro JetFin.

If you can try them before you buy them, or at least return them, then that would be your best bet. Keep in mind that there is a learning curve with splits. You will have to retrain your legs to use them correctly

My preference would be the firmer fins. Splits are notoriously "floppy". I have Zoom splits, and had I known better at the time, I would have gone for the black ones. They are firmer..... but, no.... I had to listen to my wife.... "the blue ones will match the blue on your wetsuit".... stupid me... live and learn :wink:

You are reading my mind and your wife sounds just like mine.
I was leaning toward the firm fins and needed just a little convincing.

hodgson:
Keep in mind that there is a learning curve with splits. You will have to retrain your legs to use them correctly

what is the difference in the kick? All I know is that split fins are useless in cave diving b/c you can't "cup" to swim backwards...

PolsVoice:
what is the difference in the kick? All I know is that split fins are useless in cave diving b/c you can't "cup" to swim backwards...

With splits you kick within your profile slipstream. In other words smaller kicks. Some people say they don't work in currents. That is probably because most people (myself included) instictively kick "harder" when in a current. The trick is to keep the same kick and just fin a little faster. I still have to think about it when I hit a current. Big kicks and you almost go nowhere.... small quick kicks and you go like a bat out of ****

You can swim backwards, just not as well. Frogs are also harder to do, but can be done with a little practice. Helicopters.... don't get me started.... I haven't figured out how to make them work for that yet. I probably look like I'm having a seisure when I practice that :wink:

I like my splits (Zooms), mainly cause I'm getting older, and don't cave dive. Most wreck dives for me are non-penitration dives and I don't get the chance often anyway. And most of the time, I'm just putting along enjoying the scenery.

Mgnau:

Let me be the first to correct you - you're moving down from the JetFin. Way down.

Are you selling your Jetfins now?

Boogie711:
Are you selling your Jetfins now?

Yeah, do they have spring straps? I could always use a spare pair of jets...

I know I'm going a take a hit here, but I have split fins (Atomics) love them. I also have jet fins, had them 20 years ago too. I dive the jet fins in caves with my drysuit. I use a pair of Mares when I dive wrecks in a wetsuit. Although there a divers who don't like splits, they do work well. I have dove my Atomics literally hundreds of dives and in some ripping currents, with no problem,at all. A very good and experienced diver friend of mine (25 years of diving, all over) and an Professor of Archeology U/W has Apollo's, loves them. If you have "strong" legs, dive regularly, then go with the stiffer blade. If not the softer blade will be fine. Good luck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom