Trying to Figure what style of DrySuit to get- please help and advise!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shoupart

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello Divers!

I'm trying to figure out kind of drysuit to get... not so much which brand, but like trilam, neoprene, etc. I've done some research but still not sure what will fit my criteria. So I'm hoping you guys can chime in and give me your advice!!

1. It's gotta be durable and long-lasting. I'm primarily a Cali diver, a beach diver, and sometimes get pushed into the rocks by the surge. Something with a long lifespan would be great, I think I read neoprene drysuits don't last as long as the other kinds.

2. Preferably something that's not extremely buoyant. I dive with a 7mm suit right now so anything with less buoyancy then that would be great.

Cost isn't a big factor, I'm just wanting to know what will fit the above stuff. I don't think I'll be traveling much outside of the cold waters, so I'm not needing travel conditions factored in there.

So what are your thoughts? Thanks!

aquaoren:
My thoughts?
Crushed neoprene :wink:

I'll second that! I finally bought a DUI CFX200 after multiple leaky neoprene suits. Its great for CA diving, just get the proper thermals for underneath & you'll be toasty.

I agree. DUI's CF 200 is as bulletproof as they get.
For a lighter but still tough drysuit The Clx450 in the all cordura version is a good choice.

FWIW. I dive wrecks in the Great Lakes. Lots of sharp metal and Zebra Mussells. I dive a DUI Clx 50-50. it's the Clx-450 top (cordura) and the CF200 bottom. Great Suit!!

I dive the CF200 in SoCal. Urchin spines don't even go thru it!!. Great DS, but it is heavy, and takes a day or two to dry out.

While DUI makes excellent products, there are plenty of excellent companies around too :wink:

How frequently do you dive? If you are in the water a couple times a week you need one that can be cleaned and _dried_ before the next time you want to use it. I don't think neoprene would work out without some kind of special drying rack at your house..

I'm thinking that while I could buy a DUI suit that will last "forever" or I could buy three Bare nexus suits for $850 each. Even if I have to buy a new nexus every five years I'd be money ahead. and when it comes down to it one is as warm as the other. It's the underware that is the insulaton.

I spoke with a Bare factory rep recently and he told me fewer of the low-end suits come back for repair. The light bi-lam is tougher then it looks but maybe the divers with lighter suits are more carful with them so they don't need to be sent back?

For me it's all moot. Signed my son up for OW class -- there went by drysuit budget for this year as I'm buying another full set of gear

shoupart:
Hello Divers!

I'm trying to figure out kind of drysuit to get... not so much which brand, but like trilam, neoprene, etc. I've done some research but still not sure what will fit my criteria. So I'm hoping you guys can chime in and give me your advice!!

1. It's gotta be durable and long-lasting. I'm primarily a Cali diver, a beach diver, and sometimes get pushed into the rocks by the surge. Something with a long lifespan would be great, I think I read neoprene drysuits don't last as long as the other kinds.

2. Preferably something that's not extremely buoyant. I dive with a 7mm suit right now so anything with less buoyancy then that would be great.

Cost isn't a big factor, I'm just wanting to know what will fit the above stuff. I don't think I'll be traveling much outside of the cold waters, so I'm not needing travel conditions factored in there.

So what are your thoughts? Thanks!

I am looking at Bare and DUI also... For the money I'm going to get the Bare... It might not last as long but at over half the $$$$$ I'll buy two or three!

my .02

I dive a DUI cf200 and love it. My wife dives a Poseiden full neoprene, but she likes the extra insulation for warmth. Either way you're going to have the buoyancy issues. With a cf suit you still need an undergarment which will add buoyancy and require more weight. This even applies to trilam. No matter which way you go, you can expect about the same amount of buoyancy as with your 7mm if you wear ug.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom