Trying to Figure what style of DrySuit to get- please help and advise!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm a fairly new drysuit diver after doing 200+ wetsuit dives here in the last 1.5 yrs in
the PNW. I went with the Seasoft 3000Ti compressed (but not crushed) 3mm
neoprene suit, and I've got a dozen or so dives on it now. It's a nice compromise -
you get some insulation from the compressed neoprene, and good flexibility, with a
nice close fit. The suit is covered on the outside in some kind of cloth, the same stuff
they use on the outside of the Seasoft gloves. You don't need much undergarment
- I use a skin suit (flannel inside, lycra outside) that is intended as
a warm water wetsuit replacement. I'm carrying less weight in the drysuit than I was
in my 6.5/6.5 farmer john - 28 lbs vs 30, for a 6'2, 255 lb man.
I've found diving with this drysuit to be very easy with a quick learning curve. I think
this is due to the thin undergarment, close fit, and resultant low total weight
and low drag. I never use my BC anymore; why put air in there when it can make me
more comortable if I add it to the suit? All in all, I would recommend this suit to
anyone. The only downside is the price, after the adds for a custom fit, pockets, and
a relief zipper you are above $2K, which is a lot more than a basic neoprene suit
would cost.
Hope this helps.
Tim

crushed neopreme is wonderful but most all drysuits will require you to add a few pounds over a 7mil.

Hi Tim!
Thank you very much for the advice! What kind of diving do you normally do (boat vs. beach diving)? I bought a dry suit about half a year ago but returned it since I decided I couldn't really account for it; it just seemed like wetsuits would work just as well. I do a lot of beach diving and often in rough, surgy conditions and get knocked into things, and I was fearing that using a dry suit would quickly destroy it.

But I'll still probably get one someday, and keep your words in mind!

Thanks,
Jason

I just purchased a DUI Flx 50-50...the CF200 lower with the trilam upper. I settled on it as a compromise between the CF200 and Clx 450 / TLS 350. However, the rep I spoke to about the suits and types of diving I wanted to do stated that he used to exclusively dive the CF 200 for wrecks, and then he decided to try out a TLS. He commented that he figured the TLS would not be very durable, but found the opposite was true in his experience.

When I tried out some Whites shell suits, they felt like they would be pretty durable as well.

I just got my CF 200. I chose the crushed neoprene for several reasons
-more flexibility than a trilam
-more flexibility means a leaner cut without a lack of mobility
-no bouyancy swing like regular neoprene
-tough as nails (abrasion and wear resistant, harder to tear)
-Neoprene shell suit allows me to use it in any water temp by changing underwear
-telescoping torso and great fit of the DUI
-7 year DUI warranty means I'll sell it long before the warranty goes up

Lots of options out there, but this is just the one I made, sounds like it would work best for your situation too. Good luck in your decision making. Get measured by someone who knows what they are doing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom