Trying out doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

teknitroxdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Right now I'm trying to find someone to do a basic wreck course with, and my #1 at the moment is chickdiver in Pensacola, FL. I just had a (possibly) brilliant idea: since my current plans involve proceeding into some serious tech diving in the future, I thought I would find out if there was somewhere or someone down there that I could rent some AL80 doubles and a wing and use that for the wreck course, since I would be 'in the presence' of an experienced tech diver who could offer tips and whatnot. I haven't been able to get in contact with chickdiver about this yet, but of course I would discuss this with her beforehand.

What are you guy's impressions on this idea? I was going to wait to talk to Heather first but I figured I might as well get some more info while I'm waiting.

thanks

Does she know your a single tank diver? She might expect you to be in doubles, just for the redundancy.

But...IMO I wouldn't be trying anything new on a course like that. If you are going to use doubles, try them a few times before the course.

Not specifically, no. It's just a basic NAUI wreck course, not a tech wreck course.

IMO, the gear issues would probably distract from the rest of the course. And most of the issues wouldn't be anything requiring expert assistance that you couldn't have figured out on your own. It'll just be additional task loading that you're adding to the class. Best to ask heather about it though...

teknitroxdiver:
Right now I'm trying to find someone to do a basic wreck course with, and my #1 at the moment is chickdiver in Pensacola, FL. I just had a (possibly) brilliant idea: since my current plans involve proceeding into some serious tech diving in the future, I thought I would find out if there was somewhere or someone down there that I could rent some AL80 doubles and a wing and use that for the wreck course, since I would be 'in the presence' of an experienced tech diver who could offer tips and whatnot. I haven't been able to get in contact with chickdiver about this yet, but of course I would discuss this with her beforehand.

What are you guy's impressions on this idea? I was going to wait to talk to Heather first but I figured I might as well get some more info while I'm waiting.

thanks

You can rent pretty much anything you need at MBT Divers in Pensacola.

http://www.mbtdivers.com/

I don't think any other shop in Pcola has tech gear, but MBT has pretty much everything you need, and the owners are knowledgable tech divers.

They sell both Halcyon and DiveRight wings and I believe they have some you can rent. They have LP 95s or 80s that you can rent and turn into doubles if you need to.

If you have any problem, let me know and I'll see what I can do to help you out. I dive Halycon 65 # wings, but mine are still set up with single tank adapters. I haven't gotten to diving doubles yet.

Back
Top Bottom