Trusted site for (fin) reviews?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aloha Joe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just curious which sites you trust for reviews. I know this is all very subjective (especially for fins) but I'm hoping to at least narrow my selection down to higher quality, higher performance rated fins.

I know fins are very debatable, and especially when considering split fins. But I've decided to shop for a pair of split fins. I was looking at the Atomic open-heel fins and see they're at the upper end of the price spectrum, so I was hoping to find what some of the other 'better' split fins are.

While not exactly "reviews," in my opinion a site called ScubaBoard has the most insightful debates/discussions about fin options.

You forgot rants.

I’ve found eBay extremely useful in this area. Buyer used and try em all.

Just curious which sites you trust for reviews. I know this is all very subjective (especially for fins) but I'm hoping to at least narrow my selection down to higher quality, higher performance rated fins.

I know fins are very debatable, and especially when considering split fins. But I've decided to shop for a pair of split fins. I was looking at the Atomic open-heel fins and see they're at the upper end of the price spectrum, so I was hoping to find what some of the other 'better' split fins are.

this site is about as reliable as any for reviews on gear as you have multiple opinions coming in from experienced divers.
That said, since split fins are largely a marketing gimmick and this site is populated by a large amount of tech divers, you will not see any love for them on here.

the only time I used split fins was when I had a full laceration of my leg and was unable to kick with a normal fin for several months. The split fins were better than barefoot, but as soon as I could go back to real fins, they got sold to some recreational diver who thought they were the tits

I know split fins get less than favorable comments here :) But I also know some people seem to really like them. I noticed this past weekend that seem to prefer short, quick flutter kicks when there's a decent swell or current, and I read that's the kind of kick that appropriate for split fins so I thought I'd give them a shot.

I have Mares Avanti Quattro which are pretty highly rated, and I don't like them at all - for any kick.

I found a pair of Atomics on Craigslist - if they're still available I'll grab 'em and try 'em out.

ScubaLab does a fin test every year. Google ScubaLab fin test and you can get the results. A caveat. ScubaLab only tests fins that are provided by the manufacturer, they do not buy fins to test them. Some find this to be annoying. If you want to know about the original fin test team (Many of them were crewmembers of mine), I can hook you up with the guy who uses the original ScubaLab criteria and has kept records for over 20 years.

I imagine because they don't come up for sale that often and the search function is good enough that you can find them easily.

so here's the question. what did you not like about your current fins, and what do you think split fins will solve?

this site is about as reliable as any for reviews on gear as you have multiple opinions coming in from experienced divers.
That said, since split fins are largely a marketing gimmick and this site is populated by a large amount of tech divers, you will not see any love for them on here.

the only time I used split fins was when I had a full laceration of my leg and was unable to kick with a normal fin for several months. The split fins were better than barefoot, but as soon as I could go back to real fins, they got sold to some recreational diver who thought they were the tits
No way, man. I once talked to a guy who knew someone whose brother loved split fins.

the quattros are considered above average for speed and efficiency. not the best in any facet but decent all around for a fin that is only slightly negatively buoyant.

there are some fins that are considered faster / more efficient, but chances are that a physical fitness or technique issue is in play more so than any design deficiency of the fins.

Back
Top Bottom