Question True requirements to deserve the title of Master Diver???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are a master divers when you stop counting your dives because it doesn't matter anymore

As I wrote earlier, it's all relative. Here is a musical analogy a clarinetist would appreciate.

In 1938, the Benny Goodman Orchestra was on top of the jazz world. People were calling them the greatest band on Earth, and they tried something never done before by a band like theirs--they played Carnegie Hall, performing for true music aficionados, including members of the NY Philharmonic. The reports on the evening say their early numbers did not get a great reception, but things warmed up and it ended as a triumph.

What made the difference? According to the PBS history of jazz series, the band was scared at first, afraid that they would not measure up to such an audience. That's how they played-scared. Realizing this, drummer Gene Krupa suddenly hit every drum he had as hard as he could in a frenzied rhythm, and that broke the band out of their shell and enabled them to come to life and play up to their abilities.

As I wrote before, if you have the ability to perform competently, confidently and efficiently at your performance level, then you can think of yourself as a master and not worry about what others think of you. Just don't make any public statement that you have achieved mastery, because some obnoxious snob will sneer at you for your mediocrity.
Excellent analogy and "definition" of the elusive "Master" title. Side note, Gene Krupa was from Yonkers and about 3 blocks from where I grew up they named the street for him where he lived.

You are a master divers when you stop counting your dives because it doesn't matter anymore
Then I am not a master. I still dutifully log as I was told to in PADI OW course....

This is becoming highly philosophical. Too much so, I think. When does someone become a true soldier? Do you have to be Mad Dog Mattis or Mark Milley or James T. Kirk? When does someone become a true physician? Do you have to be Galen or Edward Jenner? When does someone become a true writer? Do you have to be Mark Twain or William Shakespeare? I think there are many true soldiers, true physicians, and true writers. And they could legitimately call themselves that on day one (completed basic training, completed medical school, wrote their first article for the New York Times, etc.)

I am a master diver. A "true" master diver. I don't advertise it. I don't use a patch or a bumper sticker. I don't even think to mention it unless it comes up in conversation. I don't have a thousand logged dives. I don't have an autographed photo of Jacques Cousteau. I own only three cylinders, four regulators, two wet suits, and one dry suit. I probably make stupid mistakes once in a while. Sometimes I even find myself saying, "Oh ****, can you open my valve?" after I'm suited up, fins on, mask in place, and standing on the stern of a boat just about to stride giant. But I remember my training. I know when to jump in and when to call a dive. I have no doubt that I earned the distinction in a thorough and rigorous training program and I appreciate and remember the lessons.

This is becoming highly philosophical. Too much so, I think. When does someone become a true soldier? Do you have to be Mad Dog Mattis or Mark Milley or James T. Kirk? When does someone become a true physician? Do you have to be Galen or Edward Jenner? When does someone become a true writer? Do you have to be Mark Twain or William Shakespeare? I think there are many true soldiers, true physicians, and true writers. And they could legitimately call themselves that on day one (completed basic training, completed medical school, wrote their first article for the New York Times, etc.)

I am a master diver. A "true" master diver. I don't advertise it. I don't use a patch or a bumper sticker. I don't even think to mention it unless it comes up in conversation. I don't have a thousand logged dives. I don't have an autographed photo of Jacques Cousteau. I own only three cylinders, four regulators, two wet suits, and one dry suit. I probably make stupid mistakes once in a while. Sometimes I even find myself saying, "Oh ****, can you open my valve?" after I'm suited up, fins on, mask in place, and standing on the stern of a boat just about to stride giant. But I remember my training. I know when to jump in and when to call a dive. I have no doubt that I earned the distinction in a thorough and rigorous training program and I appreciate and remember the lessons.

Yes, you have a NAUI Master Scuba Diver training and certification, you are a Master Scuba Diver indeed.

I aspire to be a master diver in what I do. I would never be so conceited to claim mastery as there's always room for skills development. I am always humble for criticism and suggestions and try to incorporate that.

I consider myself as a mediocre diver as improvement is always possible.

Why do people think that there is no room for improvement for a master?
Depends if by "master" you mean someone with a card that says Master, or someone who is a true master with excellence in all their skills who must have practised extensively to get to that level of mastery.

The former isn't a master in the true sense, unless the certification was extremely rigorous. For example you've played as lead clarinet in the Boston Symphony Orchestra (to steal someone else's anagogy). In diving there are very few rigorous courses/exams for that level; maybe only the BSAC First Class Diver (if others exist, please say).

That's a rather silly statement.

I still log each dive because journaling my adventures is part of my enjoyment of the sport. It also provides a reference should I decide to go back to the same area, and I can determine which dives are worth repeating.

The logbook tracks my weights used with many different gear configurations so there's little to no guesswork especially if I take a bit of a break from diving.

I also document my occasional blunder so I learn from it.

My digital logbook also allows me to place a flag at the location on the built in map so I can see my ever expanding adventures on the world map.

If anything, logging of dives points to a diver who is truly commited to the sport rather than as you suggest, someone who doesn't meet particular standards.

I consider myself as a mediocre diver as improvement is always possible.

The aiming for mediocrity cultural thing on here I hope has reached crescendo

I originally wrote this for nimrod but he has shown that he still has a way to go

Yes it's some mantra not one I would have thought would come from high achiever as yourself
And if this was your true attitude, you would not have achieved anything like the skill you have
Yeah this attitude, not one I would think would come from people wanting to achieve the most
while some may now feel better about their progress it gives others the excuse to be mediocre

It's yours now so ditch the island mentality

Come on dude just get off the expected and praised bollocks wagon

If people can be shamed into not putting their hand up that they're good at something then maybe they're not

Just to be a member of a group that holds you back
like those that say you can't do it because they can't

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom