Question True requirements to deserve the title of Master Diver???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The requirements for the US Navy Master Diver qualification are very clear and incredibly challenging- I'd guess there's only 50-100 active duty Master Divers. And you get one of these instead of a plastic card.
1729786970352.png

So, the most important requirement when you get your Master Scuba Diver certification should be that you never call yourself a Master Diver.

But since I am a NAUI Master Scuba Diver and need to ensure that everyone recognizes my skills, I proudly wear this patch
1729788509396.png

The requirements for the US Navy Master Diver qualification are very clear and incredibly challenging- I'd guess there's only 50-100 active duty Master Divers. And you get one of these instead of a plastic card.
View attachment 867058
So, the most important requirement when you get your Master Scuba Diver certification should be that you never call yourself a Master Diver.

But since I am a NAUI Master Scuba Diver and need to ensure that everyone recognizes my skills, I proudly wear this patch
View attachment 867064

haha. All I got was this sticker. I still have it but I haven't stuck it anywhere yet.

20241024_164956.jpg

I understand what you mean but what I meant included technical as being recreational because neither are getting paid thus not professional.

In one way of thinking about it, a Master Diver would or should be an instructor and mentor be it tech or recreational (in your meaning). Problem is I have see way to many instructors who are not very good divers. Though I would agree when crossing over into the technical arena then that most such instructors might well be Master Divers or at least have mastered their specialty sufficient to successfully pass the skills and knowledge along.

But a card that says the bearer is a Master Diver :rofl3:. On a serious note, you are/were an instructor and you have taught many divers how to enjoy the underwater world successfully transferring skills and knowledge, you could be a Master Diver. But what curriculum would produce somebody like you in a few days or weeks what took you a lifetime? Seems artificial to me.
I agree, and also agree with Wibble's posts about people with poor (or at least non-perfect) buoyancy skills being labeled Master Divers. I think pretty much everyone on SB agrees and knows that something such as PADI's MSD Cert. means very little as far as being a true Master Diver. But as on past threads, I pose the question about defining Master (of anything). I have played clarinet over 50 years, since 1973 professionally and have a MM in clarinet. But, I have never played in a major symphony where the elite of the elite play. Am I a true Master?

1 - I got one with Mommy Sylvia instead
2- No used Apeks reg makes it past me on FB marketplace
3- Daddy Mike lives in my dreams
4- Pass, No dive flags either, car break ins here in Soflo are a thing.
5- Its "SeaS1ug"
6- I have desk lamps make of tanks
7- Garmin
9- Shes in a Honda Civic.

Do I qualify for the cert card?

Well, that is impressive. 2 last questions

1 - Are there more than 20 O rings, 2 mask straps, 2 fin straps, 3 spg swivels, 2 spare hoses, 6 port plugs, Din to Yolk adapter, spare 1st stage, spare spg, 2 computer batteries, flashlight bulbs, 2 mouthpieces, snorkel holders, whistles, allen wrenches, 3 different crescent wrenches, long nose piers, dental pick set, bundle of zip ties, a can of spaghetti-Os, a P38 can opener, and a spare line cutter in your save a dive kit? If so, you might be a master diver.

2 - Are your dreams of "Daddy Mike" of a sexual nature? If so, seek help you freak.

This is getting so repetitive for the millionth time, can we at least add discussions of snorkel and AIR II use in this discussion?

But, I have never played in a major symphony where the elite of the elite play. Am I a true Master?
As I wrote earlier, it's all relative. Here is a musical analogy a clarinetist would appreciate.

In 1938, the Benny Goodman Orchestra was on top of the jazz world. People were calling them the greatest band on Earth, and they tried something never done before by a band like theirs--they played Carnegie Hall, performing for true music aficionados, including members of the NY Philharmonic. The reports on the evening say their early numbers did not get a great reception, but things warmed up and it ended as a triumph.

What made the difference? According to the PBS history of jazz series, the band was scared at first, afraid that they would not measure up to such an audience. That's how they played-scared. Realizing this, drummer Gene Krupa suddenly hit every drum he had as hard as he could in a frenzied rhythm, and that broke the band out of their shell and enabled them to come to life and play up to their abilities.

As I wrote before, if you have the ability to perform competently, confidently and efficiently at your performance level, then you can think of yourself as a master and not worry about what others think of you. Just don't make any public statement that you have achieved mastery, because some obnoxious snob will sneer at you for your mediocrity.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom