truck rental without CDW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most MC and Visa CC exclude luxury vehicles and pickup trucks. Read your policy. Also, it is not really insurance. You put the rental on you CC. If you are in an accident the cost of repairs is charged to your card. The CC company reimburse your charge. You have to provide them with all documentation, police report, pictures, estimates......

Get into accident, you don't leave the island until the damage is paid. In a rush to catch a plane.... Looks like your staying awhile. Total a vehicle, better have a large credit available.

CDW is also not insurance. It just limits what they can charge you,if $650. So you total a vehicle, it is $650...

All in insurance, you just walk away.

The Chase Sapphire Reserve and Preferred series Visa cards appear to cover CDW on normal size pick-up trucks with some exclusions for terrorism, drug use, antique/vintage vehicles, wear and tear on bed, if rental agency CDW is purchased, etc.

If you have a Sapphire card you can log into your chase account and pull the full benefits PDF.

These types of benefits are normally handled by Visa or another 3rd party administrator... so other bank's premium Visa cards likely have similar CDW coverage.

My credit card providers free CDW insurance for rental vehicles. I'm interested in finding a rental company that would rent to me without making me buy CDW, but they all seem to include it whether I want it or now. Does anyone have suggestions?
My credit card is chase visa. They say it is good everywhere except where prohibited by law. That it is good for all vehicles rented for 30 days or less, so long as I don’t go off road. They say that it is primary and can never be used as secondary, so if I accept CDW, then their own insurance is voided. I just want to find a company that will rent with making me buy CDW. I can’t find a website for Telrin.

My credit card is chase visa.
Note that there are ~35 types of Chase issued Visa cards. The rules between e.g a Freedom and a CSR or CSP vary significantly. Similar to an AmEx BCP and a Plat, Capital One Venture vs Venture X, etc.

so long as I don’t go off road.
Many Bonaire shore diving sites have the parking off-road. They're not traditional parking lots. I don't know to what extent the covering insurer is likely to investigate and figure that out.

Granted, I figure the odds of an economically serious vehicle damage incident are much higher when you are on the road.

Richard.

I can’t find a website for Telrin
I'm not aware of one. Telerin is a business apparently owned by Marcolva "Poppy" Henriquez. This is the contact info I have:

Marcolva Henriquez (Poppy)
Cell: 599-9-5163001 (24Hrs)
Cell: 599-7886401 (24Hrs)
Office: 599-717-4108
PIN: 2871B66B
Telerin Car Rental B.V.
P.O.Box 347
telerin@bonairelive.com
marcolva@hotmail.com

I just left Bonaire today. Our Buddy Dive truck was $11/day CDW, shared between two couples. That was well worth it for peace of mind and simplicity.

I just left Bonaire today. Our Buddy Dive truck was $11/day CDW, shared between two couples. That was well worth it for peace of mind and simplicity.
Peace of mind, okay, and if you can split the cost of a truck that’s great, but simplicity? Charging it to a card with a CDW benefit is pretty simple.

Small expenses add up in my budget. My card has an annual fee, and I’d like to utilize every benefit out of it I can.

Peace of mind, okay, and if you can split the cost of a truck that’s great, but simplicity? Charging it to a card with a CDW benefit is pretty simple.

Small expenses add up in my budget. My card has an annual fee, and I’d like to utilize every benefit out of it I can.
When I say "simplicity" I mean with regard to dealing with an accident. I've lived in several non-US countries, had accidents or insurance claims in all of them, and want to make things as simple, straightforward, and expeditious as possible in the event of an accident.

When I say "simplicity" I mean with regard to dealing with an accident. I've lived in several non-US countries, had accidents or insurance claims in all of them, and want make things as simple, straightforward, and expeditious as possible in the event of an accident.
Ah. I too was fortunate to have split the cost of the truck that was damaged with others, and it was one of the others who had put it on her AMEX and had to deal with the AMEX people to get it resolved. As she described it, it sounded like AMEX handled it professionally and without argument but she did have to spend a few hours of her time on it. I should ask if she would prefer we all agree next time to opt for the rental company's CDW. The rest of us are in no position to object.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom