truck rental without CDW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've used AMEX in the past and they have covered the truck twice due to minor damage that was my fault. However, I never hit another car. I've been led to believe the AMEX insurance won't cover liability to another vehicle or the persons in it if you collide with another vehicle and are found to be at fault.

I've used AMEX in the past and they have covered the truck twice due to minor damage that was my fault. However, I never hit another car. I've been led to believe the AMEX insurance won't cover liability to another vehicle or the persons in it if you collide with another vehicle and are found to be at fault.
I believe you're correct. The insurance policy you have for your car at home includes liability for accidents in which you were driving a different car, such as a friend's car or rental car (at least within the US--now that I think about it, is this true for rentals outside the US?) I may be mistaken, but I believe whether you buy the CDW offered by the rental company or decline it and rely on something else doesn't makes any difference in that case.

My credit card providers free CDW insurance for rental vehicles. I'm interested in finding a rental company that would rent to me without making me buy CDW, but they all seem to include it whether I want it or now. Does anyone have suggestions?
Almost no one is responding to the question asked. I already know about the issues concerning using credit card with rental car and forgoing CDW. Am trying to find out if there is a rental agency on the island that lets you forgo CDW. Does anyone know?

Almost no one is responding to the question asked. I already know about the issues concerning using credit card with rental car and forgoing CDW. Am trying to find out if there is a rental agency on the island that lets you forgo CDW. Does anyone know?
This was already answered with at least one rental agency, Telerin ("Poppy"). You can decline CDW and rely on your credit card's CDW benefit. She may not have a website, but Telerin is 100% legit, and I provided contact info in a post above. I rented many times from her, the last being August 2021. Some people have said they had difficulty getting a reply to an initial email inquiry, but we haven't had that issue. She also has a phone number. We often joked that the trucks seemed a little beat up, so on our last trip (March 2022) we gave AB a try. The AB truck seemed in no better condition than an average Telerin truck. It's likely that an average truck in Telerin's fleet would be of an age at the older end of AB's fleet.

The first post in response to your question told you Telerin will accept AMEX.
That is true, I was just put off by the comments about Telerin's trucks being old. I don't want to spend vacation time dealing with a mechanical problem.

I've been renting from Poppy for a long time...like years.... Yeah, some of the trucks aren't great but, personally, thats what I prefer. Fresh scratches stand out alot more on new trucks. I've never had a mechanical problem with Poppy's trucks. I had one that was a little tough to start in the morning but it always started.

That is true, I was just put off by the comments about Telerin's trucks being old. I don't want to spend vacation time dealing with a mechanical problem.
Like @scuba127, I have never had a mechanical problem. I keep in mind how many ancient pickup trucks I have seen working in harsh conditions around the world. These are sturdy beasts. And if you had a problem and were able to call, I'm sure Telerin would have another truck out to you quickly. Sure, the probability of a problem with an older vehicle is higher than the probability with a newer vehicle, but the probability is still low. If Telerin's trucks were breaking down left and right, they'd be out of business.

We've rented from Poppy for a long time too. Make no mistake her trucks are beaters, but beaters on Bonaire are good. Long time ago I rented a brand spanking new truck from Everts. I spent the whole 2 weeks worrying about scratches on that damn new truck.

Beaters they are, but we've never had a mechanical failure. And the pick-up/drop-off arrangement is the best thing going.

One thing to watch out for: Make sure your truck has a functioning tailgate. If you're well-used, like me, sitting on the tailgate makes gearing up a lot easier. Those mesh "tailgates" suxk.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom