truck rental without CDW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jomcclain

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My credit card providers free CDW insurance for rental vehicles. I'm interested in finding a rental company that would rent to me without making me buy CDW, but they all seem to include it whether I want it or now. Does anyone have suggestions?

We rented many times from Telerin (Marcolva "Poppy" Henriquez), using our AMEX's CDW benefit.

Very few businesses in general accept American Express on Bonaire. At Bonaire Truck Rental they include the CDW in their rate. All other rental companies I've seen charge extra for it. We've also rented at Telerin but their trucks (and communication) are definitely inferior to Daniel & Anna's at BTR.

My credit card providers free CDW insurance for rental vehicles.
A topic that's come up in other threads is that the CDW insurance provided by some credit card companies may have stipulations, such as excluding pickup trucks (vehicles likely to be used 'off road'). I don't know the particulars of your policy, but suggest a long, hard look at the fine print.

Richard.

While the premium AMEX insurance does indeed cover pick-up trucks, it does not cover any vehicle over 20 years old. I rent from Poppy, and some of her trucks are pretty old. Just an FYI.
I doubt a truck could last that long on Bonaire. But interesting point.

A topic that's come up in other threads is that the CDW insurance provided by some credit card companies may have stipulations, such as excluding pickup trucks (vehicles likely to be used 'off road'). I don't know the particulars of your policy, but suggest a long, hard look at the fine print.

Richard.
^^^ What he said. ^^^

A lot of the CC companies offer CDW - but I think it is usually only good in the country in which the card is issued (ie US card won't cover accident in Mexico...). At least that was my conclusion after reading the fine print over on my card. I would get the CDW in the country you're renting... They know the laws and the traditions in that country. Your CC has a legitimate out on this one. They know the laws and customs in the home country, not necessarily in small foreign locales.

OMMOHy

A lot of the CC companies offer CDW - but I think it is usually only good in the country in which the card is issued (ie US card won't cover accident in Mexico...).
No, the AMEX policy names the few countries where it is not valid. I don't feel like searching for the official source, but here's some random blog post discussing it: American Express Car Rental Insurance Outside the U.S. - AutoSlash

AMEX definitely covered our incident on Bonaire where someone took the truck for a joyride and damaged it. Took a while to resolve, but AMEX covered it.

No, the AMEX policy names the few countries where it is not valid. I don't feel like searching for the official source, but here's some random blog post discussing it: American Express Car Rental Insurance Outside the U.S. - AutoSlash

AMEX definitely covered our incident on Bonaire where someone took the truck for a joyride and damaged it. Took a while to resolve, but AMEX covered it.
Good to know. I think my Wells Fargo or Citibank Visa specifically disclaimed foreign coverage.

OMMOHJY

Fyi most credit card company rental insurance is secondary insurance. If your personal auto policy covers a rental you have to exhaust that before the credit card policy kicks in.

Back
Top Bottom