Troubling dive...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Although we will never know the perpetrators motive it is not something I would do even if the dog died of natural causes. I have a backyard full of buried pets from over the years. Some of my dogs have markers on their graves.
I had to put down my 16 year old Golden Retriever last year. I had had her since she was 5 weeks old. That was one of the hardest things I ever had to do. I vowed no more pet after that.

Yea, I fully understand the heartache of that. But, OTOH, I can't help but remember all the animals that need good homes, and I mourn, then move on to the next dog who is in a shelter with no home, who will live out their lives with me. I think I was meant to do this.

If I found the dog skeleton, my diving would be done for the day.

When I first saw this title I thought this was going to be a "dive went bad, lesson learned" thread. It upsets me tremendously to read this. The horror that dog must have gone through in the last moments of its life. The person who did this needs serious help or anger management. :(

I definitely don't think you are being too sensitive but then I act as a foster home for abandon dogs.

People who have the capacity for cruelty to animals often have the same capacity to be cruel to humans as well. This was a loathsome act if it was done out of cruelty. On the other hand, I have read that drowning is a relatively painless way to go (though I have my doubts), and it may have been a misguided attempt at euthanasia on a budget for a beloved pet. Either way, it would have spoiled my dive and my day to find that.

I was resuscitated from drowning when I was kid. Diving off grain elevators I got caught in a net at depth. Those first couple of seconds trying to get myself free were an eternity. The panic grew and grew. It was not pleasant. When I was exhausted and could hold my breath no longer was the worst moment. As everything went dim and I passed out there was a moment of acceptance. The panic faded away and I accepted I was about to die. At that moment I found peace. Let's see, 3 minutes of sheer terror and less than 1 second of acceptance. Not a good way to go.

I was resuscitated from drowning when I was kid. Diving off grain elevators I got caught in a net at depth. Those first couple of seconds trying to get myself free were an eternity. The panic grew and grew. It was not pleasant. When I was exhausted and could hold my breath no longer was the worst moment. As everything went dim and I passed out there was a moment of acceptance. The panic faded away and I accepted I was about to die. At that moment I found peace. Let's see, 3 minutes of sheer terror and less than 1 second of acceptance. Not a good way to go.

:shocked2: Oh my gosh! That's terrible!!!! Wow. I'm glad you made it through that.

Regarding the dog breeder saying drowning is the best way....Are not those needles the vet gives painless and just put the dog to sleep? If the dog was already dead, I see no harm in a "burial at sea". No pain there. If this were the case, perhaps dumping him where divers may frequent was a poor choice of place (maybe they didn't think of it, or it was an out of the norm place for divers)... it would freak me out too. But there could be worse things, like diving in the Hudson River and running into Jimmy Hoffa. Or like diving in the Hudson River.

Glad you came through that one OK. That is what I was thinking when I made an earlier post. I came close to what I thought was my end, surfing one time. That time under water, unable to surface, couldn't hold my breath any longer, chest pounding, the terror you spoke of, no thanks. I'd rather take my Harley, full speed over a 1000' cliff.

Some people might want to give it a burial at sea. :idk:

OK, since we don't know, perhaps we can imagine a good scenario. Try this one.

Sparky was a marvelous dog, a Labrador retriever who would spend every moment in the water if he could. Bring him near water, and it was all you could do to get him out. And retrieve? That's all he wanted to do. He would chase balls or sticks into the water and bring them back to you until you were exhausted, and then he would look for someone else to throw for him.

He lived a good life, but all things must pass, and one day, so did he. The owners wept at his passing, and then wondered how best to put his body to rest. What better place, they thought, then in the river where he so much loved to play?​

I'm not saying that happened, but it is just as possible as someone drowning a dog when there are so many much, much easier ways to get rid of an unwanted dog.

BTW, I owned two dogs with Sparky's disposition, and each my children owns one now.

Regarding the dog breeder saying drowning is the best way....Are not those needles the vet gives painless and just put the dog to sleep? If the dog was already dead, I see no harm in a "burial at sea". No pain there. If this were the case, perhaps dumping him where divers may frequent was a poor choice of place (maybe they didn't think of it, or it was an out of the norm place for divers)... it would freak me out too. But there could be worse things, like diving in the Hudson River and running into Jimmy Hoffa. Or like diving in the Hudson River.

She claimed this is what her and her vet decided upon.

With bricks.
I loathe the domestic animals that generate
my capacity to loathe dogs and cats and kids.

If the dog was indeed alive at the entry point then I think the punishment should fit the crime. So let's see - how many bricks will it take to sink a Neanderthal? :peepwalla:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom