Trouble with "reply with quote" function

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting. I was just going to try what you suggested when something completely different happened. I clicked "reply with quote" and the spinny icon froze up almost immediately upon starting. I got a message saying that IE was not responding, and clicked the option for Windows to try to figure out what the problem was. The browser was closed, so I reopened it, came back, clicked on "reply with quote," and it worked for the first time since this started. :confused:

Just tried it again and as you can see, it's working. Computer gremlins?

I'm happy that it's working -- for no more apparent reason than it quit in the first place -- but now I'm really baffled. I'm not asking for any more of your time because this seems to be an issue with my machine and I can't imagine how much other stuff you have to do. If I ever make any sense of it, I'll let you know just for data purposes.

Thanks much for your help. :)

---------- Post Merged at 02:03 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:02 PM ----------

I had similar problems a while ago, and I cured it by updating my browser.

Still working -- this is so weird. John, which browser were you using and what did you update to?

---------- Post Merged at 02:50 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:02 PM ----------

And... now it's gone again. While the spinny icon was going, I clicked on "go advanced," and all that happened was that I got directed to that screen, without the embedded quote present. The spinny icon is doing its thing over this window as I type. I did several full scans of this machine a week ago after a virus scare, but this irregularity did not occur until days later, and it's the only thing going on that I can identify. I'm going to do more scans, just to see.

Still spinning...

Still working -- this is so weird. John, which browser were you using and what did you update to?

I was using Firefox, and I thought I had it set to update automatically. It turned out, though, that I had an outdated version--by more than 1.5 years. I just downloaded the latest version and installed it.

Thanks, John. :)

---------- Post Merged on June 24th, 2012 at 08:53 AM ---------- Previous Post was on June 23rd, 2012 at 04:05 PM ----------

An additional little data point: "Reply with quote" is still out to lunch today, but I've discovered a work-around. I click on it the first time, which gets the icon to endlessly spinning, then I click on it again, which brings up the "go advanced" screen with the embedded quote showing. Go figure. :confused:

Yeah. According to my searches for resolves... I found a similar work around solution on other forums.

The work around I used when I had trouble was to use the multi-quote button on the bottom right and then click on Reply to Thread.

The work around I used when I had trouble was to use the multi-quote button on the bottom right and then click on Reply to Thread.

Yep, that works, too, as you can see. Thanks John -- it's good to have options. :)

And thanks, Howard, for your research; I really appreciate it.

I just ran into the same problem. "Reply with quote" would just bring up the spinny icon, so does "reply" and pretty much every other button. This is after switching to Chrome (Chromium in fact, version 20.0.1132.41). The Javascript console spits out:
Code:
Uncaught TypeError: Cannot call method 'getElementsByTagName' of null vbulletin_quick_reply.js:11qr_handle_activate vbulletin_quick_reply.js:11YAHOO.util.Connect.handleTransactionResponse connection-min.js:7(anonymous function)

---------- Post Merged at 10:22 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:22 PM ----------

I just ran into the same problem. "Reply with quote" would just bring up the spinny icon, so does "reply" and pretty much every other button. This is after switching to Chrome (Chromium in fact, version 20.0.1132.41). The Javascript console spits out:
Code:
Uncaught TypeError: Cannot call method 'getElementsByTagName' of null vbulletin_quick_reply.js:11qr_handle_activate vbulletin_quick_reply.js:11YAHOO.util.Connect.handleTransactionResponse connection-min.js:7(anonymous function)

---------- Post Merged at 10:23 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:22 PM ----------

Oh nice, and posting a reply through the "quick reply" box (which doesn't bring up the WYSIWYG editor even though it used to) posts my reply twice.

---------- Post Merged at 10:23 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:22 PM ----------

Oh nice, and posting a reply through the "quick reply" box (which doesn't bring up the WYSIWYG editor even though it used to) posts my reply twice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom