trouble trimming out in doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cmufieldhockey8:
I got some advice to arch my back more with the doubles and it took care of the problem for me immediately!

yes, thank you, i've been told and it helps to tighten my upper back but keep head up against manifold but doesn't fully compensate for the head-heaviness.

TSandM:
I dive the Diving Concepts 200g Thinsulate jumpsuit and the 200g Thinsulate vest, plus a layer of fleece under all that. I have buddies diving the DUI 400g Thinsulate UG and they're happy, but for me, the dratted thing would have to have been custom.

There's way less air-trapping with the Thinsulate, at least in my experience.

thank you, i'm gonna try a pair of "carols" layered with some other polartec stuff and see how much a difference that makes with regard to venting.

a.

dsteding:
I'd second the comments about getting used to things, but to answer your question re tanks:

Fabers (in my experience) are typically more head heavy than Worthingtons. I've dived double Faber 95s, double OMS 108s (same as faber 104s), PST 119s, and Worthington 100s and 119s. In singles, I've dived 95s, 130s, 119s, and a water heater Faber 120. I have a tank problem . . .

Of all of those, the Worthingtons are clearly the most butt heavy, as compared to the PSTs they put a pound of steel in the bottom of each tank. The Fabers are clearly the most top heavy. I tend to have the opposite problem you have and am feet-down, but even with the Worthingtons I am starting to be able to get things where I want them at times (I end up a bit knee-down, and need to remember to arch my back a fair amount to get things right). I have about 45 dives in doubles now, and I am starting to think trim has more to do with body positioning than gear configuration. Once you get the gear in the balllpark, you can use your body to get it the rest of the way.

Honestly, I'd say get used to the 95s. But, if you are looking for a sweet set of lighter tanks that may be more bottom-heavy, try out a set of Worthingon 100s. You mention shore diving, and for that purpose they are sweet (unless you need mad amounts of gas).

now that is something i hadn't thought of before. i may try a set of the worthingtons if i can find them. that extra steel down there sounds pretty good to me...

FWIW, I initially used a set of E8-119s. Completely relaxed, at a dead stop, I would slowly shift into a headstand every time.

Traded out for a set of E8-130s. Not a single other change in configuration, arch, equipment, etc. Trimmed out properly, effortlessly.

Tanks can make a huge difference.

If you look at this table, in the "length" column, you'll see that the difference is about 1.5".
http://www.lloydbaileysscuba.com/PST E Series Tanks.htm

A little bit can make a significant different. Your body is a lever, your center of gravity is the fulcrum. You arrange weight all along it by such things as breathing, where you position your feet/fins, your arch, etc. But tanks are a fairly significant item, and one you could find where a change might easily solve the problem you're having.

Best,

Doc

TSandM:
I dive the Diving Concepts 200g Thinsulate jumpsuit and the 200g Thinsulate vest, plus a layer of fleece under all that. I have buddies diving the DUI 400g Thinsulate UG and they're happy, but for me, the dratted thing would have to have been custom.

There's way less air-trapping with the Thinsulate, at least in my experience.

Is it true that thinsulate traps the moisture more than the weezle? I have the DUI 400G and was told recently that I'd be warmer AND dryer with the weezle.

Doc Intrepid:
FWIW, I initially used a set of E8-119s. Completely relaxed, at a dead stop, I would slowly shift into a headstand every time.

Traded out for a set of E8-130s. Not a single other change in configuration, arch, equipment, etc. Trimmed out properly, effortlessly.

Tanks can make a huge difference.

If you look at this table, in the "length" column, you'll see that the difference is about 1.5".
http://www.lloydbaileysscuba.com/PST E Series Tanks.htm

A little bit can make a significant different. Your body is a lever, your center of gravity is the fulcrum. You arrange weight all along it by such things as breathing, where you position your feet/fins, your arch, etc. But tanks are a fairly significant item, and one you could find where a change might easily solve the problem you're having.

Best,

Doc

that's exactly what's happening to me. glad you've confirmed that longer tanks sorted your problem out. the E8-130's look appealing but i'm hoping the LP 85s work also, just because they're about 10lb lighter per tank and i'm doing shore based dives.

a.

I don't know -- My Thinsulate doesn't seem to trap moisture. I get a little condensation on the surface from time to time, is all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom