Tropical Storm Grace

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We're on the island now too, the original forecast had it hitting here right about now, and then backed it off, supposed to get here about 2 a.m. Been coming here for 16 years now, and this'll be our first hurricane. Its been interesting to see the reaction of the locals though, very interesting. Nobody is stripping shelves of food or water, there's no runs on gasoline or supplies, everyone is just going about their business like "no big deal," they boarded up everything downtown and went home. As noted above, day hasn't been bad, my wife and I actually got out about an hour ago and walked a couple miles to get some exercise, it was a little windy but nothing significant. I guess we'll close up the storm shutters in a little while, hit the sack, and deal with it in the morning.

You weren't in an Oxxo right before closing LOL - they were pulling all the cigarrettes off the shelves, most everything behind the counters and locking it up somewhere. I asked the guy wtf he was doing and he just said this is Mexico Baby!!!

I took a big nap, it's hard for me to sleep thru one of these plus the curiosity gets you - wait and see what daylight brings.....

I probably posted same graphic twice below. Sorry--
You can remove one with Edit if you want to.
Centerline would take it over Punta Sur more or less with the entire island catching the dirty side of the storm and hurricane force winds.
Dang, that centerline aim was below Tulum, but now it's aiming at the island. It may swerve either way in the next 12 hours. Good luck to all.
Hearing thunder from one of outer bands now.
You should be napping now. No one is going to get any sleep after midnight.
Been coming here for 16 years now, and this'll be our first hurricane.
Tell me that you didn't arrive recently.

I flew to the island once even tho a much stronger H.Dean was forecast to hit, me thinking that surely it'd swerve - me, thinking I knew more than the experts. Then I decided to forfeit and run the day before it was expected. There were people arriving that day saying "What hurricane?" Dean did veer south at the last possible chance to miss, but retreating was a good call. Should have done that before going.

I had confirmed reservations to leave even tho I had to get to Cancun the next morning. I walked thru a crowd of beggars, many of whom had been there all night.

Maybe just enough south. Still on dirty side , but further away. Also odds of west wind (and more importantly waves ) way down

upload_2021-8-18_22-51-51.png

Center passed south of island. Landfall near Tulum around 4:50 am. Reported winds not too bad in Cozumel all things considered. Will see what daylight brings.

WTNT62 KNHC 190952
TCUAT2

Hurricane Grace Tropical Cyclone Update
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL AL072021
450 AM CDT Thu Aug 19 2021

...GRACE MAKES LANDFALL ALONG THE EASTERN YUCATAN PENINSULA
OF MEXICO NEAR TULUM...

Satellite images and radar data from Belize indicate that Hurricane
Grace made landfall along the eastern Yucatan Peninsula around 445
AM CDT...0945 UTC...just south of Tulum, Mexico.

A Weatherflow station at Xcaret Park near Playa del Carmen, Mexico,
recently measured a sustained wind of 60 mph (97 km/h) and a gust
to 85 mph (137 km/h). Another Weatherflow station located at
Cancun, Mexico, recently measured a sustained wind of 59 mph (95
km/h) and a gust to 80 mph (129 km/h), while the Weatherflow site
located at Puerto Morelos, Mexico, recently measured a sustained
wind of 51 mph (83 km/h) a gust to 70 mph (113 km/h). On Cozumel, a
sustained wind of 41 mph (66 km/h) and a gust to 68 mph (109 km/h)
was observed at the Cozumel Lighthouse.

SUMMARY OF 445 AM CDT...0945 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...20.1N 87.5W
ABOUT 10 MI...15 KM S OF TULUM MEXICO
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...80 MPH...130 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...W OR 280 DEGREES AT 17 MPH...28 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...986 MB...29.12 INCHES

$$
Forecaster Stewart/Berg
66.png
67.png
67.png
67.png

Cameras are still on at the condo. Electric is on in our part of centro. Some other parts of town are out. Looks like winds never got over 80. Coz is almost out of the yellow.

upload_2021-8-19_7-26-23.png

Attachments

• upload_2021-8-19_7-25-43.png
    upload_2021-8-19_7-25-43.png
    78 KB · Views: 30
It was blustery, it was loud and it rained a decent amout. A huge mess in the pool and backyard with leaves. The wind direction probably played havoc on the East side, will see if they let me over there in a bit

Hi all,
Arriving on Saturday, the 21st, planned on a week of diving.
Do you think it will be in jeopardy or will it be business as usual by then?

We usually come in April so not sure what to expect in August.
TIA,
Dan

ps Staying at Secrets

It was a very noisy night. A friend drove over to Puerto Abrigo to check on her boat. Some downed trees, lots of water and debris. At our house in Corpus, the garage gate blew open and is now quite broken. Tiles from the small overhang on our terrace are in the pool. Our palapa lost some of the palm but it looks perfect. We did not loose electricity! Still raining!

Hi all,
Arriving on Saturday, the 21st, planned on a week of diving.
Do you think it will be in jeopardy or will it be business as usual by then?

We usually come in April so not sure what to expect in August.
TIA,
Dan

ps Staying at Secrets

It should be fine by then, from what I have seen and the pictures, you'll hardly noticed anything happened by tomorrow night

I'm gonna edit this because I just seen a picture of the old road heading south, doesn't say exactly where this is at BUT it doesn't seem like there is a whole lot of pole damage in town so maybe this will be just a few days to fix.

239454899_4793531277328263_2506088840245098993_n.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom