Tropical Depression 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This was nine years ago. I guess the flattened houses were older.

Ike was 2008, but yes likely. As older houses got destroyed since the code changes, you see a lot fewer of the "roof removals" that we saw in the past. I remember roof removals from tropical storms when I first arrived in Florida.

I just went on Google Maps and every new house in that community is a hurricane house on stilts, though it appears much of it still hasn't been rebuilt.

I don’t really care one way or the other , but evidently the theory in using tape is that the tape reduced the number of shards flying around (not that tape strengthens the window ). They realized that while the tape reduces the number of shards flying around , the ones that are flying around are larger and more lethal .

I use aluminum shutters 😀
I have aluminum shutters. No insurance discount for me. Apparently now aluminum isn't good enough, it has to be steel.

I have aluminum shutters. No insurance discount for me. Apparently now aluminum isn't good enough, it has to be steel.
IN Wilma, 2005, my aluminum hurricane shutters at the VillaAldora had a perfect record against the strongest hurricane ever measured in the Atlantic…except in the Barracuda Suite against waves. I doubt that even steel would have worked there.

Dave Dillehay

That is crazy, aluminum shutters should be able to protect you from all but the strongest storms. And even then it would take something major to breech it.

Beryl is now expected to make landfall as a Cat 1. Better news, for sure, but we'll see... Still some very warm water to cross yet.

And continues to slip east towards Dave Dillehay. Was in Corpus this afternoon, some clouds but nothing else at the airport.

It would help if developers would build stronger houses on the coast, with hurricane-clipped roofs, etc. I remember one published photo from that area after a bad storm showing a house that was built right and still standing but surrounded by the debris out dozens of flattened houses.

Ah, I found it. A lone home left standing in September 2008 after Hurricane Ike in Gilchrist, Texas. Credit...Pool photo by Smiley N. Pool, via Getty Images Article at Opinion | When the Next Hurricane Hits Texas (Published 2016)...

View attachment 850018

That really looks photoshopped. I mean, hurricane clips and better construction really helps but clearly the surge crossed the entire barrier island and there's not even mud on that home's driveway and porch.

That really looks photoshopped. I mean, hurricane clips and better construction really helps but clearly the surge crossed the entire barrier island and there's not even mud on that home's driveway and porch.
Yeah, it's clean, but the point is it's standing. They can build better structures if they bother.

It looks like Beryle is going to land on Freeport, then head for that huge city built in a swamp. Yeah, a port was needed there but it's still a dumb place for a city. Remember the time when the whole city tried to leave at once? Then the flooding is going to continue thru a big swath from there to Detroit. I hope more are taking it seriously with reasonable plans and preparations.

Back
Top Bottom