Tropic Air Belize Baggage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hamanasi uses Tropic Air as well, and they mention the 40 lb limit on their web page. They flat out say it's not an issue, and the worse case scenario is that the baggage will arrive next flight.

I flew Tropic Air with a few LARGE bags . . . there wasn;t enough space on the plane for it all . . . make sure you have some cash . . . tips can be persuasive . . . just saying . . .

I've never heard of tips making one iota of difference. They will always give passengers priority over baggage, but they will also do their utmost to ensure the baggage isn't far behind. That's without bribery.

I didn't say bribe, merely tips...

Isn't that what tips are customarily used for, to get service that other people not paying them don't get?

Bribery sounds underhanded.. Like paying to ensure your bags make it onto the plane and don't leave your sight... :whistle:

Used to be, but increasingly some people like either to pay a tip up front or make it clear that there will be a tip. That is bribery. Sorry if the word sounds ugly, but that's the reality. People who tip generously because they know they'll be back - that's also bribery. They want to steal a march on the next guy.

IMO there's little place for tips. There should be an agreed price and that's it. Whether that price is a standard tariff or is negotiated specially for the occasion, it should still be decided before service is provided. Those organisations which pay their staff so poorly that they need tips to live on should increase their wages - the amount paid & received is the same either way, but my suggested way is more honest. That's all in an ideal world of course, which I recognise we don't live in.

A recent survey in the capitals of Europe showed that the norm for tips left at restaurants and hotels was that they went to the business proprietors, not the staff. Think about it. Next time you want to add something to a card payment, it is unlikely that it will get to the intended staff member. And of course a waiter is visible to you and may get a tip, but what about all the other people who have gone to make your experience what it was? They for sure never get anything.

No. Tipping is an unsatisfactory practice which plays into the hands of unscrupulous employers. Far better only to patronise those establishments which pay their staff properly.

Yeah Sandy, you'll be OK. Tropic Air will carry anything you bring. Could you imagine what would happen to the diving industry there if divers couldn't take their gear?

I have to agree with the others, Tropic Air is not going to make a stink about bags, in general.

Peter,

I am back in Houston and had a nice time at the Tides. Sorry, I can't agree with you on tips. In the USA, tipping is part of our culture. In England and many other countries, I understand, it is not part of the culture. Admittedly, there are problems with owners treating the tips as part of their revenue. Starbucks got sued in California for diverting tips to their managers and lost.

IMO, there is not a universal right or wrong answer here. It depends on where you are, and what the system is there. In Central America where a very high percentage of the tourists are from the States, tips are usually expected. Workers often have bad things to say about visitors from countries where tipping is not customary. Believe me, I get an earful about it frequently.

-Ron

Back
Top Bottom