Triple-L BC's and Products in general

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marek K:
For those of you (CHUD, Moogyboy, MZypher maybe) who have the Triple-L Orion BCD, and who may have been driven crazy by the elastic strap over the cummerbund...

I don't think you mean the Orion...it doesn't have an elastic strap over the cummerbund.

FWIW, here's my experience so far with Triple-L products:

Wetsuit - I got a 7mm jumpsuit, no hood. It shipped and got to me in relatively short order. Unfortunately, I didn't get to use it for a while due to the unpredictable North Coast weather this time of year. When I did go to put it on, the zipper on the right leg fell apart :( I was bummed and had to rent a suit. It looked like the zipper was broken from the get-go. The little slider piece was split and literally fell apart into two pieces when I touched it.

The good news - my brother got the same suit and has used it on at least 6 dives with no problem. I wore his suit in 52 degree F NorCal water yesterday and it was great.The other zippers on mine seem fine, and all the zippers on his seem great, too. I'm pretty sure the faulty zipper just took a good rap during the manufacturing/shipping and was cracked through when it got to me. No biggie. Just an accident.

The better news - I contacted Triple-L, got an apology and was asked to fill out a RMA request. I did, and within one day got an email that said they would be shipping a replacement wetsuit to me this week. No fuss. No muss. I don't have to return the one I have first. Replacement just ships now. Very cool.

FWIW, I have been dealing with Jack Cummins, who some on this board have given a hard time. He has been a great help to me, and I have zero complaints with the wetsuit or the way the problem was dealt with. I think these are great wetsuits for the price, and I'm sure it'll last me many dives. Jack has provided great customer service and very quickly.

weight belt- I got XL. My bro got L. I should have gotten L. I thought the pockets were removable. They are not. I am about a 36 waist and can just barely cinch down the XL to my size, but it works. Also, strangely, his belt came with a metal buckle, but mine with a plastic one. I don't know if one or the other is standard, or if they are moving from one to the other. But that's what we got. I would have rather had an L with a metal buckle, but no biggie. My bad.

Orion - I've taken it out on one dive. It's a seriously comfortable, configurable, adjustable BC. I loved diving with it. I don't have much to add beyond what others have said. It's built like a truck. And I really prefer the back-inflation to traditional stab-jacket, but on that issue, to each his own.

It has enough D-rings, but not too many, as others have said. 3 of them are for the crotch strap. (I used and liked using the crotch strap, though when I break the plastic clips on Triple-L's I'll probably build a replacement...it's simple gear, but at only $3 from them, no complaints). 2 metal D-rings on each arm strap. The plastic D-rings people refer to are really just on the end of the straps you pull to tighten the shoulder straps. I wouldn't attach anything to them, but I did find them helpful for adjustment.

The dumpable weight pockets hold in very securely with multiple layers of velcro. Easy to pull out.

Inflator/deflator was great. I had trouble finding the rear dumps when I wanted to, but that was probably me and my clumsy gloves. The rear deflators are very appropriately located. A right shoulder dump would be a nice addition.

Tank straps are very rugged, and with two of them, the tank is going nowhere. We cinched them down dry having never been wet and the tanks didn't budge.

A couple of side pockets would be nice, as others have noted. But then maybe I'd be saying it was too bulky on the sides. One of my favorite things was the lack of clutter and bulk. I have enough bulky things to deal with when getting in the water up here :wink:

All in all, I have no complaints with the Orion. It was easily the nicest BC I have dove in my limited experience (bunch of rental stab jackets and one ScubaPro KnightHawk). It has a rugged feel, is adjustable, comfortable, back-inflate (which I love), and a fantastic value in my opinion.

Happy holidays, everyone :D

Gregg

ngray:
QUETZAL--

A few tips on deflating orion:

1) Try flipping upside down and releasing the lower dumps.
2) Try angling your left shoulder up, so that the upper dump is at the highest point of the bc.
3) My initial issues with Orion bouyancy were cured by using an appropriate amount of weight. Appropriate reads: calm down to the point you could sit on the bottom and take a nap. Take weight out until you get to the weight you really "need". For me, it was just getting bouyancy fundamentals right. At that point, the BC became VERY 'natural'.

Thanks ngray,

I guess I need to do all that.

My first dive with Orion I had used 8kg of lead and had to add an extra one since I was positively buoyant (see my earlyer post); I was using a short, 3mm wetsuit.

Since than I have switched to 5mm, 2pcs suit, and for the following dive I used 10kg, I was still positively buoyant, then I switched to 12 on my last two dives; I was still positively buoyant and starting to despair;

On my last dive, at one point I noticed I had trapped air in my BC and things got easyer from that point on; but I wasn't able to figure if I got it all out; when I got out I found out I had half-filled the BC bladder with sea-water, trying to empty it;

Well, it's a good excuse to go diving again :wink: (not that I'd need any :D)

QUETZAL:
Anyone ever had a prob w/ the deflator on a Triple L BC?
Hey Scott Zeagle is a Zeagle deflator stem plastic or metal?
My deflator shaft, stem came off. But I was promptly sent a new Inflator/deflator hose and all from Vietnam took 4 days no charge.

Marek K:
For those of you (CHUD, Moogyboy, MZypher maybe) who have the Triple-L Orion BCD, and who may have been driven crazy by the elastic strap over the cummerbund... I think I've found a cheap and easy solution.

I ordered some 1-1/2" flat nylon webbing (about a foot and a half would more than do), and a couple of 1-1/2" nylon slides. About $1.50 worth of materials.

I then removed the existing elastic strap -- destructively, I'm afraid; the sucker was sewn on good.

I used one of the sliders to attach the webbing to the left side pocket oblong loop; threaded the webbing through the male part of the buckle; then used the other slider to secure the D-ring to the loose end of the webbing.

This webbing I got is pretty stiff; it's heavier than the original webbing on the BCD, and it's not sliding easily through the buckle. But that may not be bad... it's looser when it's wet, and I assume it'll loosen up a bit more with age as it softens.

It sure doesn't stretch or slip too easily through the buckle anymore!

It would be less clunky -- and completely secure -- to get the webbing heavy-duty stitched at either end, instead of using the sliders. But this should certainly do.

Oh, another minor (I hope) disadvantage... the strap obviously only pulls from one side. I'd prefer if it pulled to both sides from the center buckle, like the sternum strap does. But I think I can live with that.

I tried to upload a photo here, with no luck. If you're interested, PM me with an e-mail address and I'll send you one.

--Marek
Do you have a picture of your "fix?" I'd sure like to see it.

Randy

HumaHum,
I had a similar experience. My 5mm wetsuit had the back zipper come off the track but I too was given an new suit and was told to dispose of the other suit locally. So even though was not too happy to dive w/ my back open on my 1st 100' + dive its nice to have another suit as a back up. I was able to get the original suit zipper fixed locally at a small charge an probably will give it to my bother-in-law
or brother.

Quote: HumaHum : "FWIW, here's my experience so far with Triple-L products:

Wetsuit - I got a 7mm jumpsuit, no hood. It shipped and got to me in relatively short order. Unfortunately, I didn't get to use it for a while due to the unpredictable North Coast weather this time of year. When I did go to put it on, the zipper on the right leg fell apart :( I was bummed and had to rent a suit. It looked like the zipper was broken from the get-go. The little slider piece was split and literally fell apart into two pieces when I touched it.

The good news - my brother got the same suit and has used it on at least 6 dives with no problem. I wore his suit in 52 degree F NorCal water yesterday and it was great.The other zippers on mine seem fine, and all the zippers on his seem great, too. I'm pretty sure the faulty zipper just took a good rap during the manufacturing/shipping and was cracked through when it got to me. No biggie. Just an accident.

The better news - I contacted Triple-L, got an apology and was asked to fill out a RMA request. I did, and within one day got an email that said they would be shipping a replacement wetsuit to me this week. No fuss. No muss. I don't have to return the one I have first. Replacement just ships now. Very cool.

FWIW, I have been dealing with Jack Cummins, who some on this board have given a hard time. He has been a great help to me, and I have zero complaints with the wetsuit or the way the problem was dealt with. I think these are great wetsuits for the price, and I'm sure it'll last me many dives. Jack has provided great customer service and very quickly." End Quote:

Randy43068:
Do you have a picture of your "fix?" I'd sure like to see it.

Randy
Randy--

First... oops, Gregg "Humuhumumunukunukuapua'a" was absolutely correct... I meant the Triple-L Stratos BC, not the Orion.

I've tried and tried, but am still not able to upload and attach images for some reason; but if you're still interested, PM me your normal e-mail address and I'll send you a picture that way.

--Marek

P.S. Thanks to the heroic work of everyone involved in the SB crash. I'm sure I'm not the only one who not only appreciates the work, but the work-around efforts as well... not to mention still keeping everyone informed.

QUETZAL:
New Part.
Allen--

Thanks for the info and pictures. If this wasn't the Stratos, looks like the inflator is identical.

What seems to have happened exactly? Looks like the hard plastic end fell off, and the guts spilled out. (I love that tech talk. Valve thingy?) Did something actually break?

Were you -- or would you have been -- able to still orally inflate and deflate?

Anyway, I'm glad to hear that Triple-L was that good about getting you a replacement part (being one of those who had criticized their customer service). Was it still under warranty?

--Marek

Marek K:
Allen--

Thanks for the info and pictures. If this wasn't the Stratos, looks like the inflator is identical.

What seems to have happened exactly? Looks like the hard plastic end fell off, and the guts spilled out. (I love that tech talk. Valve thingy?) Did something actually break?

Were you -- or would you have been -- able to still orally inflate and deflate?

Anyway, I'm glad to hear that Triple-L was that good about getting you a replacement part (being one of those who had criticized their customer service). Was it still under warranty?

--Marek
Gemini 2 bladder job.
As far as I can tell it just fell off. I dove three times that day and as we were cleaning the boat out I found the two parts,spring and shaft, after a while I realized that they were from my BC.
Probably couldn't have orally inflated but dumping air would have been possible by way of two other deflation options. Being that it has two bladders inflating wouldn't have been a problem either. I could have just swapped bladders.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom