Triple-L BC's and Products in general

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

QUETZAL:
Gemini 2 bladder job.
As far as I can tell it just fell off. I dove three times that day and as we were cleaning the boat out I found the two parts,spring and shaft, after a while I realized that they were from my BC.
Probably couldn't have orally inflated but dumping air would have been possible by way of two other deflation options. Being that it has two bladders inflating wouldn't have been a problem either. I could have just swapped bladders.
Hmmm... checking the inflator parts diagram that came with my Stratos, looks like it was your release button and its spring that fell out.

Hard to tell from the diagram, but it looks like there's a valve seat inside the inflator, and that the valve itself is formed by the stem of the button. Which would mean that, with the button completely gone, it would be difficult to keep air in the bladder. I suppose if this happened underwater, and the end of the inflator were held downward, that would keep at least some air in -- but the bladder would be open to the water.

I also suppose if you held your hand or thumb over the open end of the inflator, you might be able to orally inflate the BC -- and even maybe power-inflate it. Of course you'd be aborting the dive, and the problem would be controlling the release of air as you're surfacing.

Doesn't look from your photo like the stem of your button was broken -- but it doesn't seem like there'd be any other way for the button to come out that way. Unless the valve seat inside broke somehow.

--Marek

Humuhumunukunukuapua'a:
FWIW, I have been dealing with Jack Cummins, who some on this board have given a hard time...Gregg
As one of those who was giving Jack at Triple-L a "hard time," I just wanted to add something positive. I just had a chance to use their Live Chat again -- I assume it was with Jack again -- to ask a question about weight belt sizing. He didn't know the answer right away, but took my e-mail address and promised to check when the factory opened.

Jack is the one who then sent me a prompt e-mail reply, and just what I was looking for.

OBTW... the Live Chat guy also confirmed for me that the three stainless steel d-rings along the bottom edge of the Stratos jacket-type BC are indeed meant for a crotch strap.

So thanks, Jack!

--Marek

OK, finally managed to squeeze the image down so that it would upload.

Here's a webcam photo of the strap that I replaced the Stratos elastic cummerbund strap with.

Randy43068:
Do you have a picture of your "fix?" I'd sure like to see it.

Randy

Has anyone else had a negative experence with a Triple L B.C.
If so please post your experience.

I have only seen Triple-L BC's and not owned one myself, but they seemed to be as high a quality as any other jacket BC I've seen. I have ordered 6 wetsuits from them, 3 bags, a belt, 3 DSMB's, 4 regulator bags, 1 weight belt, 2 hoods and some other misc. items. I've been very pleased with the quality so far - on 3 occassions they have sent me the wrong order (either wrong item, size or in one case another customers entire order) but they have resolved it quickly each time.

Being in Hawaii I am thrilled that they will ship FedEx Ground and offer us the free shipping just as they do for you "mainland" folks - very few companies either know about FedEx ground (yes they do this, but UPS does not) or they do not offer free shipping to Hawaii (understandable, but it's nice when they do) Once an order is shipped it takes 2-10 business days to arrive depending on FedEx's schedule.

I recently ordered 2 full wetsuits - the one appears too small for the person it was bought for, but I think I will keep it and just order another larger one (I take a lot of kids out and frequently need wetsuits in smaller sizes so it's not a "big" deal - lol)
Aloha, Tim

The only problem I had with my Orion is that the plastic that is used to help form the harness backpiece would sometims dig into my neck while diving. No matter how high or low I adjusted the harness it was there. I had planned on having a seamstress open it up at the top and cut out a big section so it would be soft. Other than that, top quality!

Jason

I am pretty new to diving and really didn't know which way to turn when buying gear. A friend of mine had purchased an Orion and told me about Triple-L. I was extremely skeptical when he told me the price. After seeing the BC, I was impressed with the quality. He later told me of a hybrid bc from Triple-L, called the Gemini. For $127.00, I thought I would take a chance on it. I am 6'2", 265lbs, so decided to order the XXL. The BC turned out to be too big for me. I sold the BC to my dive buddy who is a little larger than I am. We dive in Alaska and I wanted a BC that could hold a good deal of weight. The Triple-L Instructor seems to be able to hold the most integrated weight of all Triple-L BC's. I have recently purchased the Instructor and like everyone else who has posted reviews about the BC, except for the word Instructor being embroidered on one pocket, I really like it. I ordered the XL this time and the fit is perfect. I have read other reviews and it does seem that the Triple-L BC's are running a little big, so keep this in mind if you have any plans to try one. Oh, and this is my first post to scubaboard. Thanks everyone for all of your great insight.

FWIW - I put 28 pounds in my Orion. 8 pounds in each dump pocket. 6 pounds in each of the two trim pockets. I think that's more than they say it can hold, but it's not going anywhere. The dump pockets hold very well.

lhamptoninak:
I am pretty new to diving and really didn't know which way to turn when buying gear. A friend of mine had purchased an Orion and told me about Triple-L. I was extremely skeptical when he told me the price. After seeing the BC, I was impressed with the quality. He later told me of a hybrid bc from Triple-L, called the Gemini. For $127.00, I thought I would take a chance on it. I am 6'2", 265lbs, so decided to order the XXL. The BC turned out to be too big for me. I sold the BC to my dive buddy who is a little larger than I am. We dive in Alaska and I wanted a BC that could hold a good deal of weight. The Triple-L Instructor seems to be able to hold the most integrated weight of all Triple-L BC's. I have recently purchased the Instructor and like everyone else who has posted reviews about the BC, except for the word Instructor being embroidered on one pocket, I really like it. I ordered the XL this time and the fit is perfect. I have read other reviews and it does seem that the Triple-L BC's are running a little big, so keep this in mind if you have any plans to try one. Oh, and this is my first post to scubaboard. Thanks everyone for all of your great insight.
I also have the Triple-L Gemini I had a problem w/ the inflator but otherwise a-ok. How does your dive buddy like his Gemini?

Please Help Me You Orion Users.
My Chest Is 40"
My Waist Is 33"
And I Am 6' 0"
Weight 180#
What Size Orion Should I Get?
According To Size Chart I Should Be Med Or Large But Which?
* General Bcd Sizing Chart *​
small Medium Large X-large Xx-large​
Chest
34" - 38.5" 36" - 40" 39" - 42.5" 41" - 46" 42" - 50"​
Waist
27" - 34" 32" - 39" 37 " - 44" 40" - 49" 44" - 52"​
Height
5' 2" - 5' 7" 5' 6" - 5' 9" 5' 9" - 6' 5' 11" - 6' 8" 6' 0" - 6' 10"​
Weight(lbs).
110 - 140 140 - 165 170 - 200 205 - 235 220 - 260​
http://69.20.52.146/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=9

Back