Triple 44's?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DrakeAndrews

Reaction score
I watched a SEA HUNT episode recently where Lloyd was wearing triple tanks instead of his trademark twin 38's. Any "vintage techies" out there who can enlighten me as to air capacity versus my twin steel 72's. Buoyancy characteristics? Love THE BOARD and thanx again in advance for your collective genius.

I don't know the capacity of the triples, but I believe that the original Aqualung developed by Cousteau/Gaugan in the 40's used a triple tank arrangment. Cousteau used triples several times over the years, including a rahter large set in the 70's when diving the Britanic.

I don't know the specifics of the tanks in question, but I have used triple 40s from 1958 which is the same time period the show was being filmed. They hold approximately the same amount of gas as twin 72s, but are even sweeter. They are a beautiful rig to dive.

Walter:
I don't know the specifics of the tanks in question, but I have used triple 40s from 1958 which is the same time period the show was being filmed. They hold approximately the same amount of gas as twin 72s, but are even sweeter. They are a beautiful rig to dive.
If they were U.S. Divers they were probably the same type Bridges wore.
How was your buoyancy with them on?

They were US Divers, although if memory serves it was called AquaLung at the time. You're really making me strain my memory, I only dived them once - March 8, 1986 at 11:26 in the morning, about a month and a half shy of 20 years ago. I wore an 1/8 inch farmer john/shorty and no lead. I wish I could remember the details more clearly, my log isn't much help. I do remember loving them.

Back
Top Bottom