J-Valve on vintage twinset.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, I was able to make out the original hydro.

4 N 63+

The N is inside a diamond so I assume it's a Norris tank.

Nice set! The reserve works for both tanks when both valves are opened.
like teh set pictured dont they only have on valve with the J valve? I have not seen 2 j valves on a twin. as such whither they provide reserve on one tank or both depends on the valve allignment. I sould think it is best to shut off the low tank then pull the reserve to keep from cross transferring. Unlike todays manifold the cross over is dead when the tank valves are shut.

like teh set pictured dont they only have on valve with the J valve? I have not seen 2 j valves on a twin. as such whither they provide reserve on one tank or both depends on the valve allignment. I sould think it is best to shut off the low tank then pull the reserve to keep from cross transferring. Unlike todays manifold the cross over is dead when the tank valves are shut.

One J valve.
upload_2020-7-12_16-3-16.png

White Stag began life as "Hirsh Weiss" (S?) which is German for White Stag as a manufacturing company for canvas out door products ; Tents, sleeping bags etc in Portland Oregon.
The founder, Chuck Smiley, was known in the industry for his tailoring skills and form fitting wet suits for all water sports, swimming ,. water skiing, surfing and scuba diving.

I do not know when he entered to diving market; my first catalog is dated 1966, there may have been catalogs prior to that date (@Luis H , @dead dog- can you confirm?)

This 1966 Catalog contains not only diving equipment but a section on water skis and as expected a larger section devoted to wet suits

In the 1966 catalog the following was listed:

# 9830
100 CUBIC FT DOUBLE TANK BLOCKS
Galvanized with WS 12 constant reserve manifold and pack
$149.95

# Ws-42
"twin Tank" constant reserve manifold
model number 9610 with 3/4 straight thread O ring sealed
$48.95

I suspect replacement parts will be difficult if not impossible to locate for your unit - Dive the unit until nom reparable leakage occurs the offer to a dive shop for historical display or as a last resort convert into SCUBA Bells

<<< Unforueatly for a variety of reasons the company did not survive. Chuck spent the later part of his long career as a very valuable member of Harry Rescignos Sea Tec Inflatable systems staff-in Orange California - Where he passed away about 25 years ago>>>

SDM 111
@Scuba Lawyer

White Stag began life as "Hirsh Weiss" (S?) which is German for White Stag as a manufacturing company for canvas out door products ; Tents, sleeping bags etc in Portland Oregon.
The founder, Chuck Smiley, was known in the industry for his tailoring skills and form fitting wet suits for all water sports, swimming ,. water skiing, surfing and scuba diving.

I do not know when he entered to diving market; my first catalog is dated 1966, there may have been catalogs prior to that date (@Luis H , @dead dog- can you confirm?)

This 1966 Catalog contains not only diving equipment but a section on water skis and as expected a larger section devoted to wet suits

In the 1966 catalog the following was listed:

# 9830
100 CUBIC FT DOUBLE TANK BLOCKS
Galvanized with WS 12 constant reserve manifold and pack
$149.95

# Ws-42
"twin Tank" constant reserve manifold
model number 9610 with 3/4 straight thread O ring sealed
$48.95

I suspect replacement parts will be difficult if not impossible to locate for your unit - Dive the unit until nom reparable leakage occurs the offer to a dive shop for historical display or as a last resort convert into SCUBA Bells

<<< Unforueatly for a variety of reasons the company did not survive. Chuck spent the later part of his long career as a very valuable member of Harry Rescignos Sea Tec Inflatable systems staff-in Orange California - Where he passed away about 25 years ago>>>

SDM 111
@Scuba Lawyer
Sam, Thanks for the history.

Luckily, the tanks both passed hydro and were in excellent condition inside and out. The valve it's self was cleaned and rebuilt by a local dive shop and appears to be in excellent condition as well. The shop was expecting trouble with the valve but they said it just needed a cleaning and was good to go.

I have the pack, or rather a pack, that came with the set. I'll look up the catalogue and see if it matches.

I plan on diving these with the double hose DAAM that came with them as a set. It was in almost as good condition as the valves on these tanks.

Thanks again for the history.

Thanks, I got these as part of a package deal on craigs list with a all original DAAM that had not been opened since it was built. Pictures of the inside of that are on another post.

Anyway, when I finish rebuilding that regulator I plan to dive it with these tanks. I'm looking forward to going out to our local training spot and watch the students in all their silly gear stare as I go by. Think I need a BFK too. Wondering where I can get a pair of Mike Nelson style shorts.
Please note that the DA Aquamaster is an unbalanced diaphragm first stage. This means that the interstage pressure GOES UP as the tank pressure decreases. The interstage pressure therefore needs to be set at about 500 psig tank pressure.

Experiment with the valve orientation (up verses down). White Stag never made a double hose regulator. And it may be difficult to get the regulator attached if it is in the down position. But if you can, this is quite an advantage as the breathing will be easier. This is because it will decrease the distance of the regulator from the center of your lungs, which decreases the "head" of water pressure you need to overcome when breathing.

Finally, for my twins with a J-valve, I have reoriented the valve so the J-reserve is on the opposite side, but pointed toward my shoulder. This vastly decreases the potential that the J-valve can be inadvertently "tripped" by bumping into something.

SeaRat

PS, the J-valve can only affect both tanks when it is on the regulator, hooked to the centered post. The manifold J-valve normally equalizes between the two tanks. That means that if the spring holds back 500 psig, it will equalize to 250 psig in both tanks. There is no damage to either the tanks or manifold with this equalization. You, however, with this unique manifold, also have the opportunity of using only one tank at a time, therefor giving you notice when you've used half of your air supply. European divers did this all the time, and Cousteau divers using their old triple tank system did not have a J-valve, but rather held one entire tank in reserve, opening it when the other two were depleted, the resulting equalization between the one full tank and the two other empty tanks gave every team member notification that one of their divers was on reserve air.

Back
Top Bottom