Two questions? What are considered "Old Steelies" and LP45's instead of AL40's for deco?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Holy ****! Well I'm glad you survived this ordeal. So the tank melted... I wonder what would have happened if it was aluminum.

This definitely is a story that needs to be shared.

Thanks..

This tank actually is/was the very popular aluminum 40. Yes, it technically melted, but it did so in a fraction of a second, so it essentially went off like a bomb.. Reached and estimated 1,800 degrees F in about the same amount of time...

Here are a couple of videos of portable 02 tanks exploding - via gunfire.. Talk about energy amplification..

Pretty much what the title says... I recently saw a poor listing that simply said, "Old Steelie tanks" for sale with a picture of a couple small steel tanks that I couldn't identify based on the pics.

Hard to tell, could be LP52s, 1800 PSI, with the + rating they're filled to 1980 PSI.

Any why not LP45's instead of AL40's for deco? Seems they would be a better option for O2 fills and have close to the same specs, except the 45's hold more gas.

Most of the older small LP cylinders out there -- anything smaller than an LP72 -- are big and floaty compared to an AL40. There's all kinds of oddball stuff, old CO2 fire extinguisher cylinders, old medical O2 cylinders, etc., mostly with tapered threads. I have a couple of HP40s that the seller used for deco gases, very negative and not much capacity if you fill them to the lower pressures usually used for pure O2.

Why AL40s? They are small, neutral, and in fashion, and fashion is a functional thing when you want everyone on the team to use identical gear.

Dude if those are steel and have 3/4" necks grab them and double them up if nothing else. They look pretty much matched other than paint color.

He's asking $60/each. I just can't imagine what I would use them for.

I would offer $100 if it was local to me and double those little bastards up. Rec doubles. Hell you could buy them double them and sell them as tiny doubles and make money.

If I was not on scuba spending lock down I would get them myself. I would love to have a set of little doubles.

I'm in a scuba spending hold myself... Kinda. :D Depends on the deal and need. Lol

Well here is the deal, you buy them :wink: and I will buy them from you in $5 a week installments that can be hidden as "coffee purchases" and we will be awesome! LOL

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom