Physically Small Single Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought a pair of Al 63s for my daughter when she was learning.
FACT: Kids use less air than adults
FACT: Girls use less air than boys.
Those tanks are perfect for many people. But I have no use for them anymore. So if anyone reading this thread is thinking about some 63s, let me know.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.

There are as well 50cf tanks, a tat bigger that will suit better for longer dives and are as well light.

too tall for most people. They're only an inch shorter than an AL80, so for short people they are far too long to be comfortable. The LP72's also hold 50% more gas at working pressure for a 25% increase in weight at the same height, so they make more sense. HP80's are really the best of the lot that I've seen for really short people, but if they can't carry the weight, they shouldn't be diving the rig.... These tanks aren't really that heavy, even for a kid.

I use a couple of approaches to small/kid divers.

For petite adults, HP 80.
For kids, ZUBA (surface supplied, 20' depth max) or sidemount with AL 30 or 40 single tank.

All these systems use the same harness and skills so as they develop and move on the skills are identical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An issue with steel 72s. You cannot purchase these new anymore nor actually now for several decades. Many have an epoxy liner and you will find VIPs and hydros a challenge. Worse, again, I am on a roll with Florida, many, many shops, especially in south Florida will not fill them. Thus my use of aluminum 63s in place of steel 72s when I do road trips. I cannot count on steel 72s and a fill. My wife is a small person, I am not huge. But both of us can manage larger tanks, but why if we can complete the planned dive with adequate reserves. I feel for smaller divers with al the equipment, in addition to the weight of it all, there simply is not a lot of real-estate on small people to place it all or to accommodate the length of tanks or pockets on the waist. Small divers need to think light, small and absolute minimal equipment.

N

There are as well 50cf tanks, a tat bigger that will suit better for longer dives and are as well light.

too tall for most people. They're only an inch shorter than an AL80, so for short people they are far too long to be comfortable...

tbone1004,

I believe Remy B is referring to the 3,000 psig *aluminum* 50 (rather than to the Faber 2,400+10% psig 3AA steel 50 that you seem to be referring to).

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

hP80's are less than an inch taller than the al50's, weigh 7lbs/30% more, but hold 60% more gas. Why would you dive al50's?

hP80's are less than an inch taller than the al50's, weigh 7lbs/30% more, but hold 60% more gas. Why would you dive al50's?

tbone1004,

Keep in mind the context of my op.

Also, the link to the "Fuller" thread is here (http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/advanced-scuba-discussions/508114-using-fuller-tanks.html). My posts in that thread regarding a small single cylinder are #27, 29, 32, 39, 42, 44, 46, and 48. You probably forgot that you participated in that thread. At any rate, your question is answered in those posts, I think.

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

Most of us smaller "older" divers can handle single tanks well enough for diving, especially once its on our back. Then its probably more about length then weight. Then too, as I have gotten a littler older I have become much more willing to ask for assistance. I think its the rare diver that could not manage AL 63's or HP 80's.

I remember though on one trip a petite older female diver with a truly short HP tank that I think some referred to as "bowling ball' tanks but can't find any info on them.

Edit: Just saw tbone's post. HP 65. That's them!

yes but we addressed your issues.
You state the 46's worked perfect, fine, the AL50's are shorter, same weight, and work fine, commercially available
Faber can bring it back in a FX series if they wanted and discussion is over.

why would Faber invest hundreds of thousands of dollars to retool to make a smaller HP cylinder when the market isn't there? Worthington, Faber, and PST all had HP80's, they don't sell. Worthington and PST had HP65's, they don't sell. Faber has the FX71's which are sort of selling, but still not really because people will carry the extra weight to get more gas in the 100's. The market just isn't there. WRT the piano teacher, if she struggled to lift 25lbs, diving isn't going to work, sorry, it's just not for everyone, it's a physical activity that requires moderate strength....

An issue with steel 72s. You cannot purchase these new anymore nor actually now for several decades. Many have an epoxy liner and you will find VIPs and hydros a challenge. Worse, again, I am on a roll with Florida, many, many shops, especially in south Florida will not fill them. Thus my use of aluminum 63s in place of steel 72s when I do road trips. I cannot count on steel 72s and a fill. My wife is a small person, I am not huge. But both of us can manage larger tanks, but why if we can complete the planned dive with adequate reserves. I feel for smaller divers with al the equipment, in addition to the weight of it all, there simply is not a lot of real-estate on small people to place it all or to accommodate the length of tanks or pockets on the waist. Small divers need to think light, small and absolute minimal equipment.

N
I don't understand why shops in So Florida won't fill 72's. If they have current hydros and VIP's then what's the problem?
What's going to happen when these newer 3442 100's are a bit old but pass hydro, are they going to refuse to fill those too. What do you think is the underlying reason? You can't really believe they think they will be unsafe, do you?
What is their criteria for age, because I have some more recent 72's, like in the 80's.
I have personally never run across an epoxy lined tank, not to say there aren't any, just none I've ever seen.
All my 72's have 3/4" valves with O-rings. Many have newer valves.
I'll bet some or all of my 72's will be around a lot longer than many or most of the AL80's they are currently happy to fill in So FL.
I'm really starting to wonder about FL. What's next, are they going to tell me my regs are to old to use and kick me off their boats?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom