Trip Review Cozumel/Scub Club Cozumel July 2014

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It isn't? Hmm. You should let Aldora, Living Underwater, Blue XT Sea, et al. know that they're obviously in the wrong place!

Why not? On my recent trip, I only ate one traditional Mexican dish, the chilaquiles at Blue Angel. I had fish tacos and breakfast tacos at Rock 'N Java, but they were made with healthy whole-wheat tortillas (and breakfast tacos are hardly "traditional"). Kinta and Kondesa serve nouvelle Mexican cuisine which would hardly be recognizable as Mexican to an gringo used to authentic stuff like Taco Bell and Del Taco :)

My other restaurants this trip included New Especias, Sorrisi, and Le Chef. Of the dishes I sampled at those three, the only one remotely Mexican was the calamari al ajillo because it was prepared with strips of chile guajillo in addition to the typically Spanish garlic bath.

I should? Why? I've got no dog in this fight. Feel free to tell them whatever you want if you're passionate about this issue. Nothing wrong with Aldora or Blue XTsea. Good operations and decent hotel. I'd book with either one again.

Food...what are you even arguing about? The OP stated she didn't like Mexican food. I asked what kind of food she expected to find in Mexico. The OP stated the food at SCC was "far from gourmet" and I agreed. You listed a bunch of great places to eat...so whats your point? Those places aren't SCC. Do you really consider the food at SCC to be gourmet when you've obviously dined at better places on the island?

---------- Post added July 10th, 2014 at 01:40 PM ----------

You are talking about Cozumel? The one across from Playa? All we do on the Coz board is discuss which 'valet' style OP is our favorite.

So...is SCC considered "valet" style? How exactly do you define "valet" style?

Well I would have to say around the Island there are restaurants serving ALL kinds of 'not-Mexican' food. Heck there is a Tai Noodle place.....

Agreed, lots of great food on the island, Mexican and otherwise. OP was refering to SCC. What's your point?

Of course you should check it, but it doesn't alleviate the responsibility of the person who set it up for you. My valet OP does everything for me. I check all my air for function before I go in, but if I found it was screwed up, I would B$%TCH, because that is what I am paying them for. If I found out after I got in, then I would be an idiot too, but not instead of them.

Yeah...uh...it kinda does. Either they are responsible or you are responsible. Its not a 50/50 split.

Wow. People relaxing and enjoying themselves on a dive trip? The horror of it when boats should be run like a Seal op.

Again, whats your point? I've got no problem relaxing and enjoying myself. Plenty of time to have fun and be responsible on the dive boat. But in this case, the OP was complaining about being left behind. Who said anything like running a boat like a SEAL operation. You get extra points for having a flair for the dramatic though.

Maybe change the OP should philosopise about finding an OP that is full service and responds to their needs. There is an OP for everyone's way of diving in Coz, I think. No need dive someone else's way. It may be great for others but if you don't like it, find the OP for you. Doesn't make you (or them) wrong.

Agreed...mostly. Obviously SCC is not for the OP.

I should? Why? I've got no dog in this fight. Feel free to tell them whatever you want if you're passionate about this issue. Nothing wrong with Aldora or Blue XTsea. Good operations and decent hotel. I'd book with either one again.
Whoa, please keep it in context. I was merely replying to your comment "That's not really what Coz is all about."
For me, Cozumel is all about valet diving. There are multiple boutique/valet dive ops to choose from. On vacation, I prefer to let someone else store and set up my gear for me, it satisfies my vacation laziness. I prefer to be picked up at the dock with my gear all ready to dive. And since I don't live on the island, Cozumel is all about vacation to me. That's really what Coz is all about. To me at least.

Sure, there are DIY dive ops where you show up with all your gear in hand(s), set it up yourself. Maybe there are dive ops that even let you fill your own tanks, cast your own weights from molten lead, and were it not for Marine Park rules, lead your own boat dives. But, to me at least, that's not what Cozumel is all about.

At home, I can fill my own tanks at the local dive shop, I can drive myself down to the beach, set up my own gear, dive my own dive. Unfortunately, besides being a lot of work, it's also cold water.

Food...what are you even arguing about? The OP stated she didn't like Mexican food. I asked what kind of food she expected to find in Mexico. The OP stated the food at SCC was "far from gourmet" and I agreed. You listed a bunch of great places to eat...so whats your point? Those places aren't SCC. Do you really consider the food at SCC to be gourmet when you've obviously dined at better places on the island?
Again, please keep it in context. Here I was replying to your comment "Were you really expecting something other than Mexican food in Mexico?"

Yes, I really expect something other than Mexican food in Mexico. Again, if I just wanted Mexican food, I could stay at home. There are far more Mexican restaurants in the greater L.A. area than on the tiny vacation isle of Cozumel. I can eat Oaxacan, Yucatan, chilango, Baja, and even Tex-Mex should I desire.

When one travels to L.A., should they expect something other than American food? Sure, we have Pink's hot dogs, Fatburger, and even Kentucky Fried Chicken. But we also have the best sushi in the U.S., excellent dim sum in the San Gabriel Valley, Vietnamese, Ethiopian, Persian, Thai, Italian, Indian, Greek, Malaysian, and whatever else one may crave from a melting pot of millions.

So...is SCC considered "valet" style? How exactly do you define "valet" style?

You said "valet" style was not what COZ was all about. In that, I submit, you are incorrect. From the description, I would not describe SCC as a 'valet' op.

Agreed, lots of great food on the island, Mexican and otherwise. OP was refering to SCC. What's your point?

He was, but you weren't, apparently. You said "Were you really expecting something other than Mexican food in Mexico?"

I submit thinking that about Cozumel is simply incorrect. Unless there some particular reason SCC would be expected to serve only MX food?
Yeah...uh...it kinda does. Either they are responsible or you are responsible. Its not a 50/50 split.

No, not really. The fact that someone sets up my gear does not relieve me of reasonable responsibility to check it out. Neither does the fact that I should check it relieve them of the responsibility of setting it up correctly. If they don't intend to set it up correctly, they simply should not do it. Lemme borrow from politics, it isn't one pie of blame they have to share. There can be more pies of blame if needed.

You get extra points for having a flair for the dramatic though.
Well now I agree with you.

Agreed...mostly. Obviously SCC is not for the OP.

And many others I am sure. It is also perfect for a lot of people. That diversity is the wonderfulness of Coz....

---------- Post added July 10th, 2014 at 05:59 PM ----------

There are far more Mexican restaurants in the greater L.A. area than on the tiny vacation isle of Cozumel. I can eat Oaxacan, Yucatan, chilango, Baja, and even Tex-Mex should I desire. Sure, we have Pink's hot dogs, Fatburger, and even Kentucky Fried Chicken. But we also have the best sushi in the U.S., excellent dim sum in the San Gabriel Valley, Vietnamese, Ethiopian, Persian, Thai, Italian, Indian, Greek, Malaysian, and whatever else one may crave from a melting pot of millions.

You are making me hungry....

I think your review is very fair and spot on. I have stayed there twice and will again this winter. The hotel is quaint and well located. The shore dive is very nice by Cozumel standards and your experience with the dive op completely depends on who you get as a DM. Most I have had were fine but I have met others there that are in the wrong line of business.

In my two visits once was as part of a group, the other was with just my family. The difference in service and attention was obvious. If you go there with a group you will be happy and have more control over the chosen sites and the ability of the divers in your party. As a small party you get blended in with the other few non-group people and you get what you get. I am going back with a group this winter and really looking forward to it. If I go again as a small party it will be with a different dive op.

So, I booked 4 days of diving with SCC based on all the great reviews of them that I have read and the special they were running. I arrive there this coming Friday, July 18. However, I am by myself, not with a group, not even a buddy going with me. Will I have a hard time buddying up? Am I going to regret using SCC since I am by myself and not with a group? I used Dive With Martin last time I was in Coz and I loved them. If I go back again, and am not taking advantage of a great special that includes everything, then I will likely use DWM again. This is my only good dive trip this summer, I want it to be an excellent trip, and I am sure it still will be if I make it that way. But do you have suggestions on anything I should do to minimize the negative impact of being the "loner" at SCC those four days? Thanks!!

This is my only good dive trip this summer, I want it to be an excellent trip, and I am sure it still will be if I make it that way. But do you have suggestions on anything I should do to minimize the negative impact of being the "loner" at SCC those four days? Thanks!!
Drinking helps.

Otherwise, just be friendly. I've never been a solo on a dive boat without having people to talk to during and after the dives. Well, not exactly during the dives, then I talk to the fish. Fish are often friendly but some go out of their way to avoid you. In fact, some people can be like that too. Don't take it personally.

Also, avoid places where they call you a dork for being a regular poster to ScubaBoard.

So, I booked 4 days of diving with SCC based on all the great reviews of them that I have read and the special they were running. I arrive there this coming Friday, July 18. However, I am by myself, not with a group, not even a buddy going with me. Will I have a hard time buddying up? Am I going to regret using SCC since I am by myself and not with a group? I used Dive With Martin last time I was in Coz and I loved them. If I go back again, and am not taking advantage of a great special that includes everything, then I will likely use DWM again. This is my only good dive trip this summer, I want it to be an excellent trip, and I am sure it still will be if I make it that way. But do you have suggestions on anything I should do to minimize the negative impact of being the "loner" at SCC those four days? Thanks!!

I've been to Scuba Club 4 times now. Last two visits I was travelling by myself. Trust me when I say you won't be a loner, unless you want to be. :)

The last two trips I have met some great people from all over the U.S. and Canada - people who I now consider friends. Some of us are already
working on plans for a 2015 reunion. :biggrin:

Enjoy your stay, and post a trip report when you can.

Dive safe !!

Divegoose :D

Uh, I've been diving for 15 years now and I've never entered the water with my tank off. I guess I'm special.

Happened to me early on and I have to say that was the best learning experience for me ever. I don't see it ever happening again....ever.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom