Trip Report U-352 01 May

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BobbyT22

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all. Got in a trip to U-352 this past weekend. Bottom line: great dive! I went with a group from Divers Unlimited in Norfolk, who arranged the charter through Discovery Diving in Beaufort. Drove down the night before and crashed with the rest of the group in a bunkhouse Discovery owns right next to the shop. Not 4 star accomodations, but helpful for a few hours sleep. I think there were 18 divers and 2 spectators on the boat, all with our group. Things were a bit tight on deck, sort of a cattle car, but manageable. The 2 hour ride out was fine, a little bumpy but I have seen much worse. Once on sight, conditions were good for offshore NC, 10-15 KT winds, 2-3 foot wind driven seas, light swell.

The dive was awesome. First time on a U-boat for me, and it was worth both the 4 hour drive the night before, and 2 hour ride to the site. Vis was about 40 feet, bottom temp was 64. The wreck is the only cover around, with lots of schooling baitfish, some large grouper, and a few large amberjack that did a drive by. To top it all off, a 7-foot sand tiger was lazily cruising the wreck too, just to make it perfect.

I was diving EAN-32. Total BT was 31 min at 112 feet for me.

After a 2:32 surface interval and a nice nap, the second dive was on the Indra. Nice, easy dive on the upright wreck. I especially liked the large swim-thru's cut into the ship. Made it easy for some psedo-penetration, nothing too tough but better than circling on the outside. Tons of small fish, nothing larger than 2 feet though. Still 40 foot vis, temp was 63.

Overall, great weekend! Highly recommended, and I hope to do it again soon.

Rob

Glad to help. I guess technically this should be on the NC wreck board, since the dive was out of Beaufort, NC, but everyone I know is on this board!

Rob,

Nice report! Glad you had the opportunity to make it south. Morehead City/Beaufort area has some fantastic dive sites. U352 is a nice dive, perhaps a bit crowded with 18 divers on the wreck. UBoats, after all, just aren't that large but VERY interesting.

Safe Diving,
Will

Wow and I thought I had some good diving at Rawlings today with me throwing dead fish at my buddy!:dork2:

I was on the trip and the two dives were great. I hoping to get some of the pictures one of the other divers took at both sites. If I get them I will post some of the better ones, but do not know how long before I get to see him again.

While it was crowded that did not end up being an issue. Waited till everyone else ran around and hurried to jump in the water, then once it was not crowded took my time getting ready and getting in the water. The boat captain was good and did not put out a set time that everyone had to be back in the boat, he allowed you to use your air and maximize your dive time. It was nice knowing that they were there to help us make the most of the dive and not feel rushed.

The differences in the wrecks made it a great dive. While the bunkhouse was ok and the price for it was even better. I will say be careful of the number of divers because the limited parking at the bunkhouse fills up quickly.

It was a great weekend of diving and a great group of divers to enjoy it with, I had a blast!

Ted

Hey Ted, good to see you here. I was remiss in getting your contact info, had to bolt back to VB. I was going to ask Capt Tom for it, but now I don't have to. You were a very good buddy and I really enjoyed diving with you. I would like to do so again, anytime. Will certainly keep in touch.

Rob.

Rob,

Thanks, I was glad to see your post because I wanted to get your information. It was good finding someone with the same mindset and comfort level in the water. I am taking Capt. Tom's Stress and Rescue course and was going to ask him for your information or hope that you were taking the course, now I'll send you a PM with my information.

Still have to find some free time during the weekend, but I'd like to try to dive Lake Rawlings. I have heard some good things, but I have not gotten out there. Especially since I have wanted to find someone that I could dive with, now just need to find a mutual time. And as you know, I have no issues diving dry!

Ted

Ted,
I will send you a PM with my contact info. I am a frequent flyer at Rawlings, I got my solo card specifically to dive there mid-week when I can take a day off from work. I'd be happy to meet you there any time. I have it worked out with a daycare in Emporia that I can bring my 3 year old daughter with me, drop her at the daycare on the way, dive for a few hours and then pick her up when I am done. Works out really well and now my wife actually looks forward to me diving there so she gets a break from the kids for the day. The catch is the daycare is only open mon-fri, so I have to take a day off from work when i do this. But, being active duty on shore duty, taking leave is no problem for me. Not the most exciting diving, but with 2 kids and another on the way, it is what fits my life right now.

I also try to get out on the miss lindsey whenever she sails, but weather was horrible last season. I have three tickets I still need to use, so I'll keep an eye on the sked. Those are usually short day trips on the weekends.

I took stress & rescue with Tom along with AOW a few years back. Fun course. Next up for me is hopefully an entry level tech course, but realisically that is probably not until I retire in 2012. It would have been nice to spend more than 30 minutes on U-352 last weekend. Next time you bring your 130 and I'll bring my drysuit and baby doubles and we'll get some more BT.

Rob

Thnx for the report

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom