Trip Report: Russian Freighter and Tex Edwards aboard Niuhi 09-29-12

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MRXRAY

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Our first trip of the day aboard Niuhi Dive Charter in Pensacola, Florida www.NiuhiDiveCharters.com was to the Russian Freighter an old favorite of mine.

On Saturday we went to the Russian Freighter in the AM and had about 40-50 foot vis we had our Diving Diva Andrea Wraalstad onboard and Captain Andy Ross did an Awseome job getting us out to the site and anchored in perfectly.
The freighter dive was real nice and it was s...o nice to get back to her and see some of the usualy suspects including a few Moray Eels and some very beautiful Angel, and Butterfly fish were about, we also saw a huge Nursery of fish near the boilers that was just teaming with tiny blue fish. So nice to see that our friends the Lionfish seemed to be in check at this site. Water temps were right at about 81* at depth.

Our Second dive of the AM trip was to the Tex Edwards and this was the highlight of the whole weekend for me. As soon as we dropped in we were met by the Goliath Grouper (A 250#'er) who hung around us the whole dive, he even gave us a couple of deep grunts to let us know we were pestering the hell out of him, It makes me laugh as it reminds me of my wife barking orders. ;-). I had a minimum water temp of 79* on this dive. While we were headed back up to the boat two awesome sandbar sharks (5-6') in length showed up and followed us up from the bottom to make sure that we could all see how beautiful and amazing these creatures really are. I think we all saw them and all walked away thinking how blessed we were to have seen them and the Grouper. What a great day of diving. Thanks to everyone who joined us it was a great day on the water with some old friends and with some new ones.

Check out the Video I shot with the Go-Pro:

[vimeo]50506578[/vimeo]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom