Trip report, Aldora, Mary Carmen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jryana6e

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just returned from 5 days of diving with Aldora. Really enjoyable. There were three of us, all experienced (2 DIs) plus one non diver. 5x2 tank morning dives. I really like the steel tanks - we spen 12 hours underwater for a 1hr 12min average. First dives to 100+ on 4 days. 32/36 Nitrox made it possible. Devil’s Throat two days. Columbia deep another. Spotted Eagle rays on 4 dives. Many turtles. Scorpion fish. And two Octopus in daylight. Aldora boats are faster than most and small but have engines - we saw one larger dive boat under tow, so this can matter. They also are willing to go further south. The dive time alone more than pays for the premium price, but it also comes with good service, other experienced divers in the matched groups (usually), great guides, and better site choices. We will use Aldora again. My only issue was being charged full price when one of our divers woke up ill and skipped a dive - some reduction would have been appreciated given how much diving we did do.

Most days we were grouped with other experienced divers which was great. We noticed the difference when an inexperienced diver with a go pro and lights joined us for Devils Throat. Kicked up silt in the swim through, then was shining the lights in our faces as we exited the dark tunnel. Not very considerate. Worse was the constant reef contact as he was filming. He got within inches of the octopus, which I suspect only stuck around to protect it’s mate in the hole laying eggs. I felt bad for the pair. He stayed there for a long time while the rest of us patiently pedaled against the current. He completely lacked situational awareness. I didn’t let it ruin my enjoyment, but it really made me appreciate diving with considerate, capable divers.

Mary Carmen hotel was very inexpensive but good enough for the price and conveniently located downtown. Breakfast for $6 the first morning was not very good so the rest of the days we walked to Casa Mexicana and paid about $9 for their wonderful breakfast. Next time, I’ll plan to stay at Casa Mexicana again (no rooms left for this last minute trip). Carnival Parade was fun to watch, but it spiked the hotel prices so I’ll avoid that week next year. We spend our de-gas 24 hours in Playa del Carmen and flew out of Cancun. For 4 of us, the taxi to the airport was $45, or about what it cost us to ride the ADO bus on the way in. The flights to Coz were at least $200 pp higher than Cancún (3 weeks ahead), so the bus to Playa and Ferry to Coz option saved enough to pay for a couple of dive trips. Next time I might consider flying into Coz and out of Cancun - convenience inbound and a good way to spend 24 hours pre flight outbound.

Just returned from 5 days of diving with Aldora. Really enjoyable. There were three of us, all experienced (2 DIs) plus one non diver. 5x2 tank morning dives. I really like the steel tanks - we spen 12 hours underwater for a 1hr 12min average. First dives to 100+ on 4 days. 32/36 Nitrox made it possible. Devil’s Throat two days. Columbia deep another. Spotted Eagle rays on 4 dives. Many turtles. Scorpion fish. And two Octopus in daylight. Aldora boats are faster than most and small but have engines - we saw one larger dive boat under tow, so this can matter. They also are willing to go further south. The dive time alone more than pays for the premium price, but it also comes with good service, other experienced divers in the matched groups (usually), great guides, and better site choices. We will use Aldora again. My only issue was being charged full price when one of our divers woke up ill and skipped a dive - some reduction would have been appreciated given how much diving we did do.

Most days we were grouped with other experienced divers which was great. We noticed the difference when an inexperienced diver with a go pro and lights joined us for Devils Throat. Kicked up silt in the swim through, then was shining the lights in our faces as we exited the dark tunnel. Not very considerate. Worse was the constant reef contact as he was filming. He got within inches of the octopus, which I suspect only stuck around to protect it’s mate in the hole laying eggs. I felt bad for the pair. He stayed there for a long time while the rest of us patiently pedaled against the current. He completely lacked situational awareness. I didn’t let it ruin my enjoyment, but it really made me appreciate diving with considerate, capable divers.

Mary Carmen hotel was very inexpensive but good enough for the price and conveniently located downtown. Breakfast for $6 the first morning was not very good so the rest of the days we walked to Casa Mexicana and paid about $9 for their wonderful breakfast. Next time, I’ll plan to stay at Casa Mexicana again (no rooms left for this last minute trip). Carnival Parade was fun to watch, but it spiked the hotel prices so I’ll avoid that week next year. We spend our de-gas 24 hours in Playa del Carmen and flew out of Cancun. For 4 of us, the taxi to the airport was $45, or about what it cost us to ride the ADO bus on the way in. The flights to Coz were at least $200 pp higher than Cancún (3 weeks ahead), so the bus to Playa and Ferry to Coz option saved enough to pay for a couple of dive trips. Next time I might consider flying into Coz and out of Cancun - convenience inbound and a good way to spend 24 hours pre flight outbound.
If you get shut out of Casa Mexicana int he future, you should consider Hotel Suites Colonial. It is across the street from Mary Carmen and much nicer. It is a sister hotel to Casa Mexicana and the breakfast at Casa Mexicana is included. For non-holiday weeks, the average cost per night at Suites Colonial is around $45-$50. Thanks for the write-up!

Suites Bahia is a sister hotel, too, I believe. We stayed there and used the Casa Mexicana breakfast. I believe Suites Bahia is the lowest-budget option of the three.

...They also are willing to go further south.
I have been to Chunchacab, Maracaibo, and Colombia Shallows with other operators; what's further south than that?

I have been to Chunchacab, Maracaibo, and Colombia Shallows with other operators; what's further south than that?
I didn’t mean to imply that they were the sole operation going to the southern sites. But you do see only a few boats that far south. And my first week in Coz a few years ago the operation I chose wouldn’t go south of Palancar.

..... And my first week in Coz a few years ago the operation I chose wouldn’t go south of Palancar.

I don't blame them. While Devil's throat is a pretty cool dive , I always felt Punta Sur/Columbia and that whole far-south area was over-rated. It's tough to do a gradually ascending profile (and still see reef), like you can on the wall dives further north, so the dive stays very deep and puts everyone at the limits of their air and no-deco times. And, many of the giant coral heads have a lot of distance between them, so you burn can a lot of air cruising across the sand to the next one.
Also, some of the weirdest, most unpredictable currents I've run into in Cozumel have been there. (I recall many times signalling the divers to do like i was, get down low and and dig their hands into the sand and pull across the sand to the next coral head, when the currents were particularly uncooperative. I've seen some strong up and down drafts cause some real problems,too).
Compound all this with the fact that most divers.....can't dive, it makes for a difficult and often scary endeavor for the divemaster.
Personally, I always preferred most of Palancar, and Santa Rosa, as first dives.

I happen to prefer Santa Rosa as a second dive. Ask me why?

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom