Trip Report 7/8/01

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Murchison

Trusty Shellback
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Anchored over a small patch of rock bottom in the endless sand a few miles off Perdido Key, Sunday's second dive started out with a slight wrinkle... my buddy was late showing up at the bottom, so I headed out by myself, easing along looking for dinner. I cocked my speargun and began an expanding square roughly centered around an old tire on the bottom. Nothing. The snapper I'd seen on the way down had suddenly disappeared, which was a little odd but not disconcerting - still, I wondered why.
Suddenly a big Crevalle came by my right side, and my immediate thought was that he was the reason the snapper had taken cover - then another and another, then two big redfish. Suddenly, I was surrounded by dozens of the big Jack Crevalle and hundreds of two to four foot long, delicious, beautiful red drum, flashing golden and gorgeous through the clear gulf water! They were circling me, going in both directions! I'd never seen anything quite like this in over thirty years of diving. It was remarkable, beautiful, and I brought my gun to bear on several nice reds but wasn't quite satisfied with the shot yet - something wasn't right. These fish were moving too fast. Too skittish, too much energy being wasted in behavior that obviously has nothing to do with feeding... why, these big fish were acting more like a baitball than the large gulf predators they are... and they're obviously using me as a center of the ball. No, something else is going on here...
Suddenly, all comes clear -
Shark!
Big shark!
Two big sharks!
Two big heavy bodied sharks, and two more smaller ones.
Not just "cruising by" sharks, not "lucky to see" sharks, unapproachable, marvelous interesting sharks - no...
These are big, stocky, back up pectorals down maneuvering quickly and purposefully hunting feeding hungry serious Bull sharks intent on herding the school of Crevalle and Reds, and me in the middle of it all! Suddenly the biggest one (estimate 350 pounds, 7-8 feet) flipped and headed directly at me, with speed and purpose. All I could do was raise the speargun, realizing that I had no chance of doing any real damage to him, but maybe enough to discourage him with a poke in the nose. Just out of speargun range he veered off suddenly, passing on my left. As I turned to keep him in sight I could feel the tingles crawling up my spine as I was forced to turn my back on the other big shark. Why, oh why had I not waited for my buddy, my wingman - anyone to cover my six and help me keep both those big boys in sight? By now I had started a slow, deliberate, non-threatening "I am definitely not the food you want" ascent... Two full minutes - an eternity - from the sixty-odd feet where we'd started. The baitball of big fish and the hunting sharks stayed with me for awhile, but thankfully began to drop below me as I cleared 30 feet or so. No safety stop today, thank you. I surfaced about 50 yards from the boat and made a slow, deliberate swim back there just beneath the surface so as not to be flopping around like a wounded fish, all the while keeping my head on a swivel, watching for the sharks, catching the occasional glimpse of them still working the baitball beneath me.
As I got to the boat, I didn't even need to ask my buddy if he's seen 'em too, as he was already climbing in, speargun still cocked and aimed below.
God, I loved it!

Rick

Truly spellbinding storytelling! :)

BTW, excatly where is that dive site? I'm not quite sure where it was geographically...

DSDO,

~SubMariner~

I don't mind seeing a shark or 2 every now and then, as matter of fact I like to see them, but that's rather spooky. Hope I don't run up on those bad boys while diving the Mica this weekend.

Okay Rick, when you fall asleep on the sofa and have a shark nightmare, you're not supposed to wake up and post it on this site. Ha ha ha, just kidding. Sounds like it was a hair raising experience and I'm glad you and your buddy are okay. I don't get to dive anywhere near as much as you and since I will be getting back in the saltwater (first time since 10/00) I'm sure your story will stay with me as I'm finning along the reefs. I always thought you were supposed to try to descend to the bottom if a shark menaces you and leave the water when safe to do so. Of course, I wondered what happens when I get low on air and what happens if the bottom is too deep. I guess this "fraidy cat" would just expire from sheer fear!

Happy, safe diving,

Laura

Well, Warhammer, I'd been diving the Gulf over 30 years and prior to this dive only seen one Bull shark - and he was "just passin' through" - I've never seen anything like this before - my buddy has 25 years Gulf diving and had never seen anything like this before. The folks I dive with for fun are all old guys who've been at it 20-40 years, and so far we haven't found anyone who's ever seen anything like it!
Submariner: The site is ESE of Perdido pass, WSW of Pensacola pass - about 6 miles out in 75' of water. It isn't a "dive site" that any commercial diving operation would visit - indeed, not many fishermen know about it either, except the old timers. We call it the "West Bank" because it's just west of the "Dutch Bank." I don't think you'll find either on any chart.
An interesting side note - the day before this dive another Bull shark had attacked an 8 yr old boy near Pensacola pass, biting off his arm and much of a leg. The boy's uncle wrestled the shark ashore, where a deputy sheriff shot the shark. They pried his mouth open with a baton and retrieved the arm from the shark's stomach, which has been reattached in an 11 hour operation. The boy is still in horrible shape, in a coma, and likely suffered brain damage from loss of blood. He may live.
Rick

One thing about the drive by move by the shark...They have sensors along the side of their bodies which they use to electronically determine who and what you are.I am not saying that I wouldn't have beaten my feet either,but the initial moves are generally to check out and intimidate and it obviously worked...exciting dive...hehehe
Cheers Get the hell outta here ears,
The Gasman (good thing you don't use fish oil to treat the gear)
:whoa:

Originally posted by large_diver
Cool story -- while scary, it had to be one of those experiences you'll say you were lucky to have -- once you were out of the water ;-)

Yeah, really! LOL!

Rick, I had heard about the attack and now your story. If there's another attack before in the morning (when I leave to head down there), my wife might not let me go. :)

Rick,
Great dive report. Had me at the edge of my seat. I love sharks. That dive would have been scary, but worth it.
Wish you would have had a camera with you?
:sunny:

I've thought about the camera question. No, I'm glad I didn't have a camera, 'cause when the reds showed up I'd have been looking through the viewfinder and may not have seen the sharks until they were right on top of me - and it was close enough to heart attack city as it was!
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom