Trip advice - early august

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

View attachment 98468
Just because the weather is nice where you are at that particular time does'nt mean the weather is the same all over the Phils.

June through November is rainy season and most has the most typhoons than any other time of the year.

Are you one of those guys who is always wearing rose colored glasses ?

My point which you clearly missed is that even though its RAINY SEASON - that doesnt mean the weather is bad all the time. You might be surprised if you check the Typhoon stats for the recent years.(Although I could be wrong!)

As others have noted, letting the words of rainy season effect your travel plans can be a misplaced choice. There was a ton of ****ty weather this year in JAN FEB MAR and APRIL.... weather is unpredictable that's all I'm saying...

I agree with Matt,I have been on Malapascua for tghe last two weeks and done some great diving plus had great weather included. IF you are expecting paradise in paradise then stay home & watch TV....Come on down "I-NEED-A-DIVE-BUDDY!

"living life without a hard bottom"
KT

Guys...I've been diving in the Philippines the last 5 summers and winters.. twice I have not been able to get a ferry due to typhoons in the summer....but once in Balicasac a day or two after a typhoon I had amazing diving which put the winter - am I down here during rush hour in Manila? - diving to shame...weather and the typhoon potential are part of the mix for decisions about summer diving, but I'm not going to stay home because of it....that being said, close to the departing flight from Manila - as in Subic - is a plus....I'd like to hear more about Subic....is the daytime diving worth the visit?

Subic is 3-4 hours by bus from Pasay/Manila, depending on what time you travel (the bus goes up EDSA...enough said). It costs 218php each way (via San Fernando) or 250php (via Angeles/Dau). Alternatively, you can get a private car, which costs about 4000php/$100USD each way.

There's a great variety of diving in Subic, as each wreck has its own flavor and vibe. Most divers who visit there on daytrips don't get past the USS New York... which has bad viz and encourages the rumor that the whole of Subic is a right-off visibility wise...

The New York is an amazing wreck. It's not great for viz, as others have mentioned, because it lies directly in the path of the Olongapo river exit... which feeds silty water from the surrounding hills/jungles. Apart from some nice soft corals on the upper hull, there isn't a lot of color either. The real vibe of the New York is the size, historical significance and sombre atmosphere of the dive. Big slabs of thick metal, twisted girders, giant propeller and enormous primary guns... casting giant shadows and emerald streams of light through water. You can drop 15m into the inky blackness of a cavernous coal bunker through a hold in the lower hull... a real adrenaline experience for most novice wreck divers. Despite the bad viz, most divers are very eager to return and repeat the experience.

Landing Ship Tank has much better visibity (much further from the river)...typically 15-20m Lots of marine life on this and the occasional pelagic crossing overhead. It has historical value and serves as a cleaning station for many passing creatures. I've seen large bull sharks and eagle rays here on several occasions. Despite being a deep dive (30-36m) it is very tranquil. The photo in my avatar (see right) is the penetration through the vehicle deck at 32m.

San Quentin, Barges and the coral reefs around Grande Island are good for photography. Unless there has been heavy rain/storms, the visibility should be 15-20m+ Lots of reef fish, occasional turtles, decent macro subjects and, if very lucky, blacktip reef shark. I've seen frogfish, pipefish, ribbon eels, many nudibranch varieties and various species of octopus on these sites. Barges has (this year) a huge resident school of Jacks... tornado-like swirling of (literally) hundreds of these large fish.

El Capitan is a heroic WWII vessel, that sank shortly after the war due to a typhoon. It lies in shallow water and can best be described as an 'underwater playground'. It's perfect for any divers first taste of wreck penetration - as the accessable inner areas (two giant cargo holds and the boiler room) have many exits, lots of depth (away from the silty bottom) and are relatively well illuminated. You can penetrate from the forward hold to the rear hold (virtually the entire 90m length of the ship) in one dive...and enjoy finning through the cathedral-like inner spaces, enjoying the atmosphere of light shafting into the darkness around you.

LCU and Japanese Patrol Boat are smaller wrecks, but have unique characters. The japanese wreck has a nice collection of marine life and has a flourishing coral growth. LCU (landing craft utility) has some nice swim-through rooms.

There are also coral reefs at Nabassan and Light House. These aren't on a par with the best that other Philippines locations have to offer - and the visibility is entirely dependant on recent weather.

More information on the Subic Bay dive sites here: http://www.scubatechphilippines.com/scuba_diving_subic_bay.html

Photos here: http://www.scubatechphilippines.com/gallery.html

I am also currently working with a dive operator/charter in Subic to develop some trips that will go outside of the bay...probably overnight expeditions (camping on a beach, with BBQ etc). These are likely to open up some new, spectacular off-shore dive sites :)

I just got back from running a day-trip to Subic. It was a long day, but everyone had fun. Departed Manila by bus at 5am, enjoyed 3 dives (USS New York, Barges and El Capitan) and was back in Manila by 9pm.

Last edited:
it wouldnt make any sense to go to donsol. but ticao island and the manta bowl is in the same area and really worth your time. august is also right smack in the center of the manta season.

My point which you clearly missed is that even though its RAINY SEASON - that doesnt mean the weather is bad all the time. You might be surprised if you check the Typhoon stats for the recent years.(Although I could be wrong!)

As others have noted, letting the words of rainy season effect your travel plans can be a misplaced choice. There was a ton of ****ty weather this year in JAN FEB MAR and APRIL.... weather is unpredictable that's all I'm saying...

Right. Well you missed my point also. All I said it was not summer here it is rainy / typhoon season. He is talking about summer I guess in the northern hemisphere.

Who cares if it is raining when diving ? It is not like you should care about getting wet.

But my point with wearing rose colored glasses is NOTHING is perfect about the Philippines. If you think so, you are wearing rose colored glasses.

Last edited:
Hi...I'd like to go someplace new..., Malapascua seems too far...Is there some place I'm missing? Thanks!

The travel time from Manila to Malapasqua is about the same as to Moalboal, the difference is if the weather is rough then you may strand in Mayo as the last bit to Malapasqua is with a banka. You could go to San Fernando on Luzon its about 5-6 hours drive from Manila, or go to Sipalay on Negros, both of these are fairly sheltered so diving should be possible even in bad weather.

Yes DevonDiver,
It is San Fernando La Union I mean; I should have said La Union.
We have a house in Alcala (Pangasinan) so San Fernando and 100 Islands are local dive sites for us (and suitable for OW divers), maybe we would consider Subic Bay one day, being at the subject is Subic Bay suitable for OW divers?

Ocean Deep is the ONLY operator right next to the airport in San Fernando(La Union).
Fagg Reef is OK and the M10 tanks are in deep water. There are several of them.
The bay is pretty open and can be rough if the wind is blowing. Subic Bay is much better as I never encountered stiff current there.

is Subic Bay suitable for OW divers?

Absolutely. There's virtually zero current and the bay is very sheltered from adverse weather.

The only 'deep' sites are USS New York, LST, Japanese Patrol Boat, F4 Phantom and the Japanese Maru outside of the bay. The last two sites are for technical divers. The NY and LST are deep (30-36m), but generally easy to dive. Low viz on the NY adds some complexity, so some novice divers might want to avoid diving there if they aren't very confident.

Barges, El Capitan, LCU, San Quentin and the reefs around Grande Island, Nabassan and Lighthouse are very easy, shallow and stress-free dives.

I'll have to get up to La Union sometime - I didn't know there was diving there until this thread raised the subject :D

Back
Top Bottom