Trimix vs Helitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Remy B.

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Can some TDI instructors explain to me, why it seems Helitrox is not as popular as Trimix ( as it is a trimix but with limitations )

You can take AN and Helitrox ( where they teach deco ), but you can't take Trimix without having the Tec Foundation courses that are AN and DP.

You can't take Helitrox without having deep specialty, but you can take Trimix without deep speciality

since Helitrox have depth limitations why you need the deep specialty, and with trimix you can go deeper but you don't need the deep specialty

I confused, what am I missing ?

in what will Helitrox benefit a student in the path to get to trimix, or it is better to go directly to trimix ?

It's not as popular because it is more limited. And divers wanting to go deeper will need to do trimix. You are comparing different courses.
On the other hand, one could compare Deco Procedures and Helitrox as they stand on a similar level. In that case, I think also DP is more widely available and many people are ok with diving on air to those depths (although no one is forced to and DP has a lot more to teach).

So the requirements for helitrox are similar to those for DP and for trimix, as it's the next level, are different. With trimix you don't need the deep specialty, but need either DP or helitrox, which are already more advanced!

Depends on what you mean by "going directly to trimix". You'll need a basic decompression course first! That can be Deco Procedures or Helitrox. Only after you can do Trimix.

Can some TDI instructors explain to me, why it seems Helitrox is not as popular as Trimix ( as it is a trimix but with limitations )

You can take AN and Helitrox ( where they teach deco ), but you can't take Trimix without having the Tec Foundation courses that are AN and DP.

You can't take Helitrox without having deep specialty, but you can take Trimix without deep speciality

since Helitrox have depth limitations why you need the deep specialty, and with trimix you can go deeper but you don't need the deep specialty

I confused, what am I missing ?

in what will Helitrox benefit a student in the path to get to trimix, or it is better to go directly to trimix ?

I believe the confusion may be that you are viewing TDI Helitrox as a replacement for TDI Trimix, it is not. It would be more appropriate to consider Helitrox as a replacement for Decompression Procedures. The intention of the Helitrox course is simply to allow the use of a limited amount of helium in the mix (20% max) to decrease narcosis. It is extremely popular in areas where narcosis at 45m/150ft is significant (cold, dark water for example).

The prerequisites for Helitrox and Deco Procedures are very similar, with the addition of a deep diver certification being required for Helitrox. Deep Diver is a required prerequisite for Helitrox and not Deco Procedures because there is an added element to the course, diving with helium in the mix, and to reduce task loading we have found it best that the student have verified experience with planning and executing deep dives. This is not required for TDI Trimix, because the student is required to be certified as Advanced Nitrox and Decompression Procedures (or Helitrox) and therefore has experience planning and conducting deep dives.

For a student planning on going through to TDI Trimix, and they are diving in an environment where narcosis is not significant 45m/150ft, Helitrox may not be the appropriate path. This is a discussion you should have with your instructor when planning your training path.

I hope this answers your question, if there is anything else, please feel free to contact training@tdisdi.com.

No I'm looking at Helitrox to be part of Trimix since it is a trimix gas combination, just don't understand why it is where it is, it is kind of confusing the course requirements As per TDI website.

My instructor is a Island away, so only get to meet him when I go to do the cources, but there are not Helitrox certified instructors in that island, they have Trimix instructors, I don't think I was going the Helitrox path anyway, but to reach Trimix I have a long path ahead of me, I guess the Helitrox is for a small group of people that don't want to get that deep as trimix, and have the advantage of no getting Nitrogen Narc.

It's for those who don't want to go deeper or who don't want to dive on air in the 30-45 m range on their way to trimix.

In my area instructors are teaching an/dp with heliotrox thrown in to help them herd their punters. I advocate helium early and often after seeing to many people " farm animal stupid " at 150fsw. Heliotrox is a tool to be used if needed. If you are a air baddass then you do not need it. My advice is to " get sober " during an/dp and do full trimix if you want to go deeper.
YMMVEric

Helitrox was intended to be a narcosis management tool for dives between 100-150ft. It is basically hyperoxic trimix. Agencies that truly believe that the narcosis level on air below 100' is unacceptable tend to push the helitrox course to be taught in conjunction with AN/DP. I think Helitrox is a good tool, however it is widely unpopular. People wanting to dive helium generally don't have an issue with doing AN/DP and then going on to do a full normoxic course. the physics and theory that applies to helitrox is very much the same as full trimix, but the trimix course will likely involve handling more stages and deco bottles. Personally I don't think anyone should be diving helium until they have a grasp on how important being able to hold a stop without doing the roller coaster thing is....its not such a big deal on air.

I don't see any reason not to take your DP course with Helitrox added, whether or not you plan to continue on to normoxic trimix. How can having a clearer during a class be a bad thing?

I don't see any reason not to take your DP course with Helitrox added, whether or not you plan to continue on to normoxic trimix. How can having a clearer during a class be a bad thing?

I agree it is not a bad thing, never said it was bad, just didn'd understand where it is like an isolated course since it is a trimix gas, some how you will cover it in the trimix course or not ?

It's not just about the gas. It can be the first deco course. Wouldn't be wise if it was straight to 60 m with 2 deco bottles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom