Trimix divers on board.......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dbush:
I'm a beginner Techie. I usually hang out over at TheDecoStop.com, but I check in here from time to time. I know there are many others who do the same. Actually now I am starting to spend time at SpearBoard.com since I'm doing a little of that. Funny how there is an internet forum for most everything...

Hey David,,,, I to pop in and out of DS,,,,I have been on the SpearBoard a few times also just lurking,,,,some interesting stuff...I have never done any spearfishing,,though would sometime like to give it a try. My interest is in wreck diving and have developed an interest in the tech side of diving over the past year. Its going good for me in terms of training and experience, though sport diving is and will remain a major pastime in terms of much of the diving I do (location-$-time). I am 'slowly' aquirring additional tech gear. Having been certf. since 1971 I dove when things were so much differnt than today, and being closely tied into a great scuba shop family I have an advantage over many in terms of seeing the tech side of diving from both sides of the fence. The sad thing is I see some folks getting into the tech side vastly unprepared and having no real reason for doing so other than to 'Keep up with the Jones'. Entering the tech side of diving whether it is Adv. Nitrox/Deco....Trimix....full Cave or Adv. Wreck takes time/effort and a real passion to do it right. I am having a great time learning,,,,'doing' and listening-watching, but never forgeting the 'earlier days' of scuba. Outside of a handful of commercial----research----military divers we are for the most part sport divers just taking our activity to the next level of challenge!! Happy diving.... :)

FIXXERVI6:
Well think about this, the majority of divers on here are the usual clear springs suspects, athens, etc, if you need helium in either of those places, your doing something wrong.

About the only place you can put helium to work locally is Travis, so if most of these swampers are the CSSP breed, they don't want to dive trimix, no need, so strike one, the diving in the area does not demand trimix.

Ever price what shops charge for mix around here? Helium is stupid expensive from a shop, I understand why, but understanding doesn't fill peoples wallets with money to spend on gas, places where helium is in demand is cheaper than getting mix around here, so strike two, cost.

How many tech rigs have you seen running around the lakes, I mean true tech rigs, not these DBL AL100's stuck on a 100 lbs double bladder wing or "tech BC" with hoses sticking out all over the place, now don't start flaming there is nothing wrong with that, if you want to dive that and it works for you thats fine, but those rigs reflect that person has a limited amount of training (most of the time, not always) and chances are they aren't even suppose to be doing deco let alone dabbling in the black arts, so lack of tech divers in the area, rather the vast minority, so there is 3

Computers, how many divers on this board fly by wire only and couldn't cut tables? if thats your diving style, thats fine, but those folks are going to be less likely to go to mix due to the high costs of mix computers, there is another.

Gear costs, to really dive mix you need to be on doubles, deco mixes so more regs and bottles, and you HAVE TO dive dry, not many people are willing to invest that amount of money to dive lakes when you don't take that rig to cozumel.

Lakes, who the hell wants to invest all that money to dive deep in lakes, its nasty down there, you gotta be nuts to want to dive that deep in travis, vis sucks, its cold (but its fun!) thats a hole lotta money for even a fill if you already on the gear to look at a mud plane in 50 degree water with 6" of vis

There are mix divers that lurk on this board, I know of at least one that is certified, actually I know of a few that are certified, I also know of some that dive it the same way I do, self educated - (they hide all that information in books you know) that do not speak publicly about it, so I will not disclose who they are.

So I would be more suprised if people responded then not, the local mix divers probably dont' dive much local and use mix only in good diving spots that require it like caves and wrecks.

Most home brewers, and yes I am not the first, nore are we the only ones, keep their stuff a secret, I probably should too as I really dont' want someone on here reading this and going "he does it, I can too" and going out and killing himself, some may view what I do as wreckless and irrisponsible, but those that know me know I'm very conservative and very calculated on how I perform my dives, I'm not a risk taker. I wouldn't be suprised if most of the local mix people are home brewers without certifications, this is a very common practice in other parts of the country where people are more realistic about things, cause man I tell you guys, from all the crap I've seen in my short diving career a card in your hand does not make you a safe diver, not by any measure of the word, there is a big difference between knowing, and doing, every time I come back from florida my eyeballs ahve to get pounded back in from them popping out at teh stuff I see, no wonder they have to do body recoveries, ok off track there sorry.

My point is if most locals are home brewers, chances are a lot are not certified and will not come forward, but they are out there, I know of others, certified and not.

I am not sure what motivated you to write that.
But Kudos my good man. Very good read, spoken from the heart.

Dave

Tex,

Tech is certainly not for everybody, and as Fixxer it is very expensive to get into. Further, it really is more than another certification. It is almost a "way of life". You are constantly training, improving & maintaining dive skills and physical fitness, learning about decompression physiology, gear maintenance, gas management, and the list goes on. Since the committment is so great, it really does make you a much better diver. If you do get into it make sure you have the time, the money, and the means to dive on a regular basis. I would reccomend classes (find the best and most demanding instructor you can). Certainly, some can do it without "formal" training, but you really need a good mentor for that since it is not a hobby that lends itself to learning from your mistakes too well.

dbush:
Tex,

Tech is certainly not for everybody, and as Fixxer it is very expensive to get into. Further, it really is more than another certification. It is almost a "way of life". You are constantly training, improving & maintaining dive skills and physical fitness, learning about decompression physiology, gear maintenance, gas management, and the list goes on. Since the committment is so great, it really does make you a much better diver. If you do get into it make sure you have the time, the money, and the means to dive on a regular basis. I would reccomend classes (find the best and most demanding instructor you can). Certainly, some can do it without "formal" training, but you really need a good mentor for that since it is not a hobby that lends itself to learning from your mistakes too well.

Well put!!! Yea it is a money hole and a time spender---but way cool. I am a young 51 and know my physical limits very well I am happy to see you post that topic).....years of road racing bicycles has payed off in terms of fending off the general wear of ageing,,,,THOUGH I do find it a challange sometimes to keep those extra few pounds off and my exercise routine as active as before--LOL! I agree with you on the mentoring,,,nothing better than self study- but so much is gained from those who you train with,,,,it takes both to really get a well rounded start. :)

What’s Trimix Batman?

Last year a rebreather manufacture, ex-commercial HSE deep diver (and great guy) said the following to me.
“Andrew- you don’t know, what you don’t know, so shut up and listen.”

We think that we can learn from books, the internet and buying things from manufactures that will simplify the matter. The truth is- “we don’t know, what we don’t know.”

Trimix is the beginning of something special…

Crazyduck:

that's crazy talk daffy duck ..erm Crazyduck! :wink: ..

Crazyduck:
What’s Trimix Batman?

Last year a rebreather manufacture, ex-commercial HSE deep diver (and great guy) said the following to me.
“Andrew- you don’t know, what you don’t know, so shut up and listen.”

We think that we can learn from books, the internet and buying things from manufactures that will simplify the matter. The truth is- “we don’t know, what we don’t know.”

Its funny you say that because I've mentioned this before that, you don't know what you don't know, in reference to cave diving, cave diving is not something that you can learn out of a book, and when I took the classes, what shocked me was all of the procedures and all of the wow's I didn't know something that small could have such an impact coming back to, you don't know what you don't know, and what you don't know is what will get you.

Crazyduck:
The truth is- “we don’t know, what we don’t know.”
WARNING, anecdotal story to follow. :)

When I graduated college, I had 13 classes in my major. After 4 classes, I thought I knew everything (almost). It seemed that every class I took after that I realized more fully how much I didnt know.

Back to the regularly scheduled thread.

Willie

Another (even less relevant) anecdotal story:

I remember a joke my quantum mechanics professor told us:

The first time you learn quantum mechanics, you don't think you understand it.
The second time you learn quant mech, you think understand it.
The third time you learn quant mech, you know you don't understand it.

loosebits:
Another (even less relevant) anecdotal story:

I remember a joke my quantum mechanics professor told us:

The first time you learn quantum mechanics, you don't think you understand it.
The second time you learn quant mech, you think understand it.
The third time you learn quant mech, you know you don't understand it.

This is getting 'DEEP'!!! :D eyebrow

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom