Trim is the Platform, Buoyancy the Heart and Propulsion the Art.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You've definitely given me something to pay attention to on my next dive, I appreciate it. Like I said, I noticed the floaty feet syndrome, but didn't really think of it as a tool to be used, just "a thing." That would be a nice one to get sorted out!

I would put Buoyancy as the platform. Understanding what neutral buoyancy is, how to fine tune your weighting to achieve it (which takes some experience) and how to maintain it irrespective of your depth.
Trim is the heart. Understanding when it is necessary to be in proper horizontal trim (close to the bottom, during propulsion for optimal efficiency) vs when it might suit you to be in other position for what ever reason.
Propulsion is an art. Having achieved the above two you can work on refining the respective kick for efficiency, ease of use and which to use when.

1) Buoyancy
2) Trim
3) Propulsion

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Using your terms, I'd say that buoyancy, trim, and propulsion together form the heart of positioning - the mechanics of going where you want to go.

The platform is achieved when you can hold your position in one spot. Staying where you want to stay. Stability. This is needed for doing any kind of task in the water, like photography, surveying, holding a safety stop, etc.

And finally art, to me, is when you do something profound and beautiful with your positioning, based on the environment and situation. I don't think there's any shortcut to this other than to be observant and gain experience especially in challenging situations involving current, problem solving, poor visibility, etc.

For example, I found it amazing that my dive guides could hover in calm eddies in a dive site where currents were raging, when the rest of us were hooked in. Heck, even mantas gave up fighting it!

Back
Top Bottom