Trim feedback lower back pain

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trim looks fine, but are you working hard to stay in that position? When I'm trimmed correctly, I can relax and remain in the horizontal position. In the past, when I've hired gear that isn't quite right, I've had to arch my back and perform other contortions to get my trim right which could cause back pain . As an aside, I don't generally get back pain, but nearly always have a little sciatica for a day or two after diving.

Bend your knees, lower legs perpendicular to your direction and enjoy frogkicking

Or not: if it's a bulge in a disc pressing on a nerve, arching one's back one way or the other may make it better or worse, depending on where it is. Bending your knees and looking forward at the same time may be the wrong way. Or not.

You should do core exercises regardless, they will decrease your pain overall and make your back resistant to injury. When you dive you should try and maintain the natural (neutral) curve of your spine. Flexing or overarching for long periods of time will flare you up.

If you aren't seeing a physical therapist you should consider it. A good one will help you come up with a strengthening routine. If you are seeing one and your pain is getting worse, you need to look for a different PT.

PT for bulging discs is stretching to make more room in there: less chance of things pinching, and pumping up core muscles to make them take more of the load off the discs. (And more stretching to make room for the now-bulging muscles.)

If it's not the bulging discs, OTOH, it may be entirely different.

It may be the camera angle but those fins look huge compared to your body.

Perhaps try fins with a smaller blade. Less force against you when you kick.

I personally prefer smaller blades on my fins, but can still kick faster than most divers on those rare occasions when needed.

View attachment 819641I’m a recreational warm water diver 1 tank and use a scubapro go bcd with integrated weights. I have chronic lower back pain and this recent trip to Bonaire was tough. I do shore dives but valet style with husband carrying my gear into the water and I gear up there (lucky me). I would love feedback on my trim in trying to determine if I need to upgrade my gear to better support by back, work on my trim or just do core strength exercises. Any feedback is welcome.
I don't often say this, but also consider moving your take up some. I've found that for some people when the tank is either to low (which is rare) or to long (more common) that they're arching to stay in trim they're basically pressing into the tank on their back with their butt the entire time and this smokes their lower back out.

We switched one of my friends who was diving double 120s (a very long tank) to double 130s (a not as long tank) and a lot of his back pain went away, and in playing with them I dove them a few times and noticed back fatigue from it.

you are like me if you have back problem use a support belt even when diving it will help.
I hadn’t considered that! Is there one you like? I have a couple generic ones.
It may be the camera angle but those fins look huge compared to your body.

Perhaps try fins with a smaller blade. Less force against you when you kick.

I personally prefer smaller blades on my fins, but can still kick faster than most divers on those rare occasions when needed.
great point thank you!

I don't often say this, but also consider moving your take up some. I've found that for some people when the tank is either to low (which is rare) or to long (more common) that they're arching to stay in trim they're basically pressing into the tank on their back with their butt the entire time and this smokes their lower back out.

We switched one of my friends who was diving double 120s (a very long tank) to double 130s (a not as long tank) and a lot of his back pain went away, and in playing with them I dove them a few times and noticed back fatigue from it.
Yes the tank sometimes nudges my lower back— which is why I was considering a different bcd… we have the tank up as high as possible given where the straps are I believe.

What's a "chronic lower back pain"? I have bad discs (L4/L5), but so far (knock on wood) at the stage where they can be "managed" by PT. Last I heard "normal" PT for it is a subset of core stability/strength program; lucky for me I know how to swim and have a Y pool 5 minutes away: long-term that's even better.

Obviously, if your discs are gone and your vertebrae need fusion, core strength program is not going to help.
Good question— scans show the attached and recommendation is pt. Which I’m going to resume full time now!
IMG_4622.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom