Triggers of Dive Accidents

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe there is a substantial segment (40-60% varying on area) who intend on being more than a casual diver. I also believe they would pay for a longer and more expensive course that offers greater competence, wet-time, and prestige. It is a matter of marketing. Far too many shops sell higher margin regulators based on implications that less is not as safe. That motivation boils down to confidence in the product. I find it difficult to believe they could not also sell better courses based on the same motivation, especially since they will probably pay for them later anyway.

DVDs and online training aids are capable of substantially reducing classroom time, but could (and should) offer far greater depth (figuratively). For a person entering the sport with that mindset, the DVD would also set the stage for sales of specialty courses, as opposed to basic competence courses. A little entertainment can go a long way.

There is also a market characterized by the warm-water vacation/casual diver. Unfortunately, the quickie resort courses have dumbed-down the course everyone is forced to begin with. Even worse, some also leave the basic course with the belief they are reasonably competent. Tell it like it is. You can get the quick course for those who want to dive in less demanding conditions under supervision, or take a complete course that trains for substantially greater independence and demanding conditions.

The biggest problem is lazy salesmanship, not customer expectations. The only risk is dive shops may scare off a few people who probably should not be diving outside of shallow tropical resorts anyway. That strikes me as a small price to pay. A resort course serves those individuals better and will keep insurance costs down.

Last edited:
This has, once again, opened up the basic question of:

What is the goal of Basic Open Water Training instruction? And, more importantly, what is the goal of the Basic Open Water Student in taking the instruction?
Wth a minor shift in emphasis I think you are correct. But it should be less a matter of what the student's goal is and more a matter of what the instructor's goal is since the student really doesn't, except in very rate cases, know what is involved. What the real issue comes down to is the industry's stubborn demand to mix apples and oranges, people who want to dive with leadership personnel, once a year (or so) in a resort atmosphere, in almost perfect conditions, with people who want to learn to dive with minimum risk, just about anywhere they might live (or go). Perhaps we need to somewhat expand the DSD concept to cover all of the once a year resort diving and tropical referral training and return everything else to the 40 to sixty hour programs that it used to be.
One thing I am quite sure is that the goal of the Student is NOT to be one of Thal's highly trained research divers and thus his program is irrelevant in reality.
If we where to expand DSD/enhance the rest, then the difference between what I do (highly trained research divers) and what other instructors do (competent local temperate divers) becomes passing small, just as it was in the sixties and seventies.
It is also true that most "divers" are not "hard core" divers like the people who have responded to this thread. As Bob (NWGratefulDiver) pointed out, even IF the student had been carefully trained, they aren't in the water and they certainly don't practice skills when they do get in the water. And if they do practice some skill, such as air sharing, they are likely to be scolded by the DM at the resort! (Note -- This has actually happened to me and we were scolded for sharing air. An instructor who happened to be on the dive continued by saying that the ONLY possible response to sharing air was a direct ascent -- but that instructor also believes Gas Management is "Tech Sh%t" and thinks a long hose is going to strangle you!)
I can't imagine being scolded by DM at at a resort, I'd rip him a new one six ways from Sunday, and so should you.
I don't know what the possible solutions may be -- even Thal's training system will probably not be of much help to the recreational diver who hasn't been in the water for two (or more) years prior to his trip to Coz.
I beg to differ. I don't think that the training would "stick" at the level it would need to, but we design our exercises to also be used by divers to get themselves ready to dive again after a layoff. I have no concern that a pair of divers whom I trained would have any difficulty bringing themselves back up to speed with about four hours of pool time and a small number of shallow workup dives (that could be made, even in a resort environ). We discuss just that issue during class.
I don't think the real problem is the initial training -- it is the lack of continuous training and practice after the class is over.
I think the problem is initial training AND the lack or either continuous training and practice after the class OR a clearly defined system for resharpening rusty skills.
Free ascents or CESA (Controlled Emergency Swimming Ascent) dangerous? I suppose that is true if you are clueless about basic diving physics and physiology. I don't consider a free ascent bolting, more like a valuable skill that is far more reliable than swimming around looking for a buddy in bad visability.
A flared buoyant ascent is an integral component of the exercises we use. First in a free diving mode, and then in a series of scuba exercises. I sould guess that by the time we finish, each student has done it in a pool, in free diving mode twenty to thirty times and in a scuba mode (for real, requiring actual exhilaration experience) maybe twice as many times as well as about half that number of times in open water. We definitely do not consider it to be "bolting," but we also teach divers to remain close enough to their buddy to be prepared to intervene on their buddy's behalf if there is a problem, with means that they are never, "swimming around looking for a buddy in bad visibility."
I don't think the industry is coming anywhere near teaching the skills you suggest have been done for years...more and more over the last decade, divers have been turned out that have terrible propulsive abilities, often leading to ( or made worse by) pathetic split fins which drastically reduce muscle load on dangerously weak legs.....if we let them dive barefoot there would be even less strain....

Point is, the industry is trying to get the physically inadequate to feel good about diving. This is irresponsible. It is all about greed and market size.
I don't know about the physically inadequate, I've seen plenty of physically adequate students who still lacked the skills and training to be competent in the water.
I have gotten some of my cycling buddies to freedive over the years....fit people can pick up free diving well. Freediving IS achieving perfection of propulsion and watermanship as Thal often discusses. Most of these guys would decide to get into scuba sometime after becoming a good Freediver. Guess how they went through there scuba classes---typically on day one looking better in the water than some instructors. They go on to be great divers. They needed the s drills and gas management , etc, but this was extremely easy for them....maybe this was so easy because learning is more effective when the student is absolutely at ease....maybe it was so easy because with the huge foundation skills of free diving, everything else just makes sense, instantly.
Ain't that the truth!
I have always wondered why some agency does not try to offer a free diving module to come before basic open water scuba. Just imagine the difference to BOW if free diving mastery came first!!!

Of course, the industry would hate this idea, because a higher level of fitness would be required to master free diving, and they would actually have to teach propulsive skills.
Most agencies have such a course on the books, its just that almost nobody does this. It is amazing how easy it is to transition a competent freediver to scuba, it is almost effortless.
Peter,
I think the goal of Basic Open Water Training, should be to give a person the skills and knowledge, "to not kill themselves" on a 40 to 60 foot dive, by doing something stupid. It is not supposed to make them a GREAT Diver. But they do need the most important skills----guage reading/monitoring air supply.....s-drill air sharing.. mask off and on underwater.....peripherol awareness of buddy....don't do follow the leader diving....how to kick/propel yourself on scuba....how to find close to neutral with a BC at depth....and how to do a CESA. Lots of practice with the CESA...

Rather than than choosing to not teach OOA scenarios to the divers MOST LIKELY to run out of air, if anything, let these agencies with profit and expediency in mind, eliminate teaching anything of table or DCS knowledge beyond just showing them the NDL for 60 feet, 50 feet and 40 feet.
Or, maybe just simplify this....the basic underwater diver does NOT dive deeper than 60 feet, and NEVER dives longer than 40 minutes ( less to remember, less chance of OOA)....Someone like Cressi could make a cheap and simple gauge that shows depth and time, alarms like crazy if 61 feet or deeper is reached, and alarms like crazy at 40 minutes into any dive.....
The reality is, left to their own duration attempts, the new Basic Open Water Diver will run low on air long before they become saturated with nitrogen-- to the degree that this risk comes anywhere close to the risk of OOA. Let's have the instructors spend the time where it is really needed.
There is some sense to that, but I think that there may also be some sense to teaching that group I wrote about at the top of this post (people who want to dive with leadership personnel, once a year, or so, in a resort atmosphere, in almost perfect conditions,) to not go deeper than 60 feet, to not stay under more than 50 minutes, to not run out of air, to drop all the OOA protocols besides the use of a leaders auxiliary, and to not certify them to dive without leadership assistance.

You have data, 900 cases,you exclude the majority, 550 cases, because it does not easily fit the analysis you want to make and post the results of a picked sample in super bold and red implying that this is the root cause of all SCUBA deaths. I am not trivializing anything just trying to put it in perspective.

Much as I enjoy having my honesty questioned . . . uh . . . no.

First of all, we don't gave data from 900 cases. There are 900 cases and only 350 of them have data (regarding the triggers).

Secondly (and don't forget this came from a DAN presentation - this wasn't a case of me reaching a conclusion and then fabricating statistics to "prove" my point), what it showed was that the trigger in 41% of the cases was out-of-air.

"That seems phenomenally high," I thought. "Why would that be so?" And off I went.

Now if you don't agree with my analysis or conclusions or don't want to even think about the questions I raised, then don't. But it still doesn't change the fact that in 350 cases where we have full data, 41% percent of those people died because of something that seems easily preventable (out-of-air) and I simply am saying that that should give us pause to think about why this might be so.

If all this training is in OW expect the class prices to be through the roof.

I see nothing wrong with that. As someone said earlier, this idea of anyone-can-do-scuba isn't true. More expensive, longer, more thorough classes might either solve the OOA/training probems we're talking about or at least eliminate some of the people who are likely to be problems because they'll think it's too expensive or too involved. Higher pricing for better classes could have all kinds of benefits.

There are some of us that are still p****d off that we had to get a c-card to continue diving.

Get over it. :D

- Ken

You know, every one of these discussions comes down to "we need longer and more expensive classes", which is something which, at heart, I agree with.

But then I go back to the 51 year old woman who had a trip to Australia scheduled, and went into the local dive shop to see what it would take, and what it would cost to learn to dive. If I'd had to be able to make a class every night for a month, or every weekend, or if it had cost $1000, I would have begged off. I couldn't make that kind of time commitment, I didn't want to spend that kind of money, and I thought of scuba diving as something we'd do on the occasional warm water vacation.

I had no idea I would become the diver I am today. Shoot, I didn't even know people dove in caves. I didn't know much of anything.

That's what the first class is about. It's about letting someone find out if this is something they want to do. I actually LIKE the idea of a simple gauge that squawks if you exceed 60 feet or 40 minutes. I think people ought to get in the water with enough training to do simple, low risk dives, and find out if the whole experience grabs them.

You know, every one of these discussions comes down to "we need longer and more expensive classes", which is something which, at heart, I agree with.

But then I go back to the 51 year old woman who had a trip to Australia scheduled, and went into the local dive shop to see what it would take, and what it would cost to learn to dive. If I'd had to be able to make a class every night for a month, or every weekend, or if it had cost $1000, I would have begged off. I couldn't make that kind of time commitment, I didn't want to spend that kind of money, and I thought of scuba diving as something we'd do on the occasional warm water vacation.

I had no idea I would become the diver I am today. Shoot, I didn't even know people dove in caves. I didn't know much of anything.

That's what the first class is about. It's about letting someone find out if this is something they want to do. I actually LIKE the idea of a simple gauge that squawks if you exceed 60 feet or 40 minutes. I think people ought to get in the water with enough training to do simple, low risk dives, and find out if the whole experience grabs them.
Lynne, there is another way, a two tier system that is designed to fit both sets of needs. The problem is that many vested interests want to teach one of those tiers while pretending (for either marking reasons or ego) that it is the other. Actually this would make the Super-DSD tier less expensive than BOW is right now, and the little time now spent on tables (remember, there'd be one rule, no dives deeper than 60 feet or longer than 50 minutes) and buddy diving/auxiliary use (total dependence on the guide equipped with a long hose) could be applied to buoyancy and other things that really effect the fun of diving for these sorts of folks. If they really dig it, there would be an upgrade path.

First of all, we don't gave data from 900 cases. There are 900 cases and only 350 of them have data (regarding the triggers).

Is there any info on why there is no trigger info in the other cases? I would think OOA is one of the easiest things to check for after an incident. So I would suspect very few of the 500 or so other cases would have OOA as a trigger? Unless if many of the divers were never found etc. The OOA % would then still be high, but not as stated in first post.

Just because a diving accident victim is recovered with an empty tank does not mean that being OOA had anything to do with the incident.

One thing I am quite sure is that the goal of the Student is NOT to be one of Thal's highly trained research divers and thus his program is irrelevant in reality.

How can I become one of Thal's highly trained research divers?

There maybe a course at the UBC lab, or you could spend two weeks to a month here in Hawaii with me.:D

Just because a diving accident victim is recovered with an empty tank does not mean that being OOA had anything to do with the incident.
But is this normal? How many of those 500 was found with empty tanks? Cause non-empty with open valve should rule out OOA.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom