Triangle Wrecks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jgarysmith

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We dove the beach dives in Nags Head called the Triangle Wrecks, Carl Gerhard and Kyzikes, this past weekend. It was excellent beach dives. Vis was 20ft and water temps in the 70's. It is a hidden secret having such great beach dives on wrecks. Lots of relief and plenty of fish and shells.Did not cost anything either. Drive there, park your car, and swin out to the wrecks. There is a large buoy on them a bout 100yds offshore. My first time diving I had a guided dive by OBX Divers last year. I recomend using them if you are still new or would like the assurance and safety of a local guided trip. Highly recommended local dive. Just be careful swimming out, it can be rough sometimes.

Are those conditions standard for this time of year for these dives? I am going to be out that way in a week or so and was thinking getting a guided shore dive in while I'm up (if my wife lets me sneak away!)

this time of year you can various currents even off shore , but to be honest if you have few extra dollars you get the best dive off charter boat and better temps and visability .

I am not sure about the conditions as I don't live there, but every time I dive it, it is usually pretty decent. Surge and surf just depends on the day and tides. Yes, the boat dives in Nags Head are great, but sometimes you don't have the time for a full day of diving or want to drop 100 bucks. I would choose a boat dive over a beach dive any day, but beach dives are still fun.

I have been looking for info on shore diving since I will be moving out there in about 3-4 months.

Is 20 ft really considered good vis out there?

I am too spoiled with the average 60-100 ft vis in the areas that I usually dive out here.

the wrecks in the gulf stream can get good viz, but other than that 20 is not bad for this area.

20ft vis on a beach dive in the Nags Head area is pretty good. I dove the Triangle Wrecks before and had about 5 to 10 ft vis. Still fun, cheap dives. I am spoiled by boat dives too, but it is nice to have some close by beach dives.

I'm in SOBX near Swansboro and I have NOT been able to find a beach dive site ANYWHERE.

(anyone have an ideas in this area?)

:06:

Diver294:
I'm in SOBX near Swansboro and I have NOT been able to find a beach dive site ANYWHERE.

(anyone have an ideas in this area?)

:06:

Triangle Wrecks are located at Milepost 7, at the 2nd Street Public Parking Beach Access. There is a Dive Flag sign on the post. We dove it again today (Sat June 5) Awesome, calm day with little surf or waves. Visibility was clear top to bottom at 20ft. There were even snorklers at the wrecks spearfishing because the vis was so good. A great local beach dive.
Gary

Just got back from Nags Head and Snorkled the triangles from the beach. Got a polespear at the dive shop, vis was anywhere from 5 ft to 20 ft. Speared some nice Triggers and sheepsheads. Great freediving, should of rented gear and went all the way under.

Back
Top Bottom