Triangle Wrecks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

what kind of depths can you get at the triangle wrecks I've read 20-45 ft is that correct?

what's the structure look like now? IS it pretty much broken and spread flat along the bottom or does rise from the bottom. Oh how much fish life is there to see. Are the any nice sized fish to spear aswell?

I live about a mile up the beach from the triangle wreck. I have been out there 3 times this week. Its a nice place to stop for an hour after work and spear a couple fish for dinner. Lots of fish. Last night there were a bunch of spades (yummy) and I saw a few big sheepshead but never got a shot at them. Saw a few amberjack. Earler this week there were tons of triggers, sheepshead and big flounder. If you get a clear day you can look in the holes and sees some tautog and black sea bass. The top of the wrecks are about 6-8 feet under and the sand is anywhere from 12-20 depending on how the weather has been.

fishboy are the two ships that make the Triangle wreck close together like within 100 yards of each other. What kinda of viz should I expect During the first part of October? should just plan on running into anything form 4ft. to 20ft. viz?

I was planning on taking my freedive/spearfishing vacation at the end of October but I let it slip my mind that my brothers wedding is at the end of October Ooops!

The parts of the wreck are close together. The part where the bouy is gets the most pressure but if you go inside, outside or to the south it is usually not too crowded. The vis can be anything and so can the temp. Two days ago it was 76 and vis was about 12 ft. yesterday the temp crashed to 54 and the vis went to about 6 ft. So you can never tell. The east wind usually means warmer and clearer water.

I didn't know there was a place to shore dive down there. How far from VA is this?

Geez sounds like I might have to drag along my 3mm and 5mm wetsuits if temps jump around that damn much! Once again thank for the speedy info. and sorry for all the questions just trying to get a good plan going !!!

A wetsuit is a must for almost any time of year, as you never know what the temp will be. But in the summer most of the clear days the water is warm.

The triangle and the Huron are the two main places to shore dive here. The triangle is about an hour from the NC VA line if your coming from 168/158/64. The Huron is about 10 min down the beach.

The beach conditions on the OBX are dictated by the winds. Watch for strong W or SW winds that will blow the warm water off shore. Light E winds will bring in warm, clear water.

FreediverGa:
Geez sounds like I might have to drag along my 3mm and 5mm wetsuits if temps jump around that damn much! Once again thank for the speedy info. and sorry for all the questions just trying to get a good plan going !!!

Just back from Hatteas. All wreck diving. Bottom temps all in very high 70's (78-79) to 80s.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom