Tres Pelicanos question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I tip in pesos. The banks keep track of how much foreign money is exchanged. Helps the crew on the tax end.

PH

The ATM will not spit our pesos that won't be accepted.
That's not necessarily true. Last May an ATM gave me a 500 peso note with a corner torn off. I tried twice to spend it in town and no one would take it. My hotel front desk took it and gave me one in better shape.

we pay U.S. dollars cash, daily, but I do think some folks pay at the end of their stay, I'd just be sure that the DM's know that you are going to tip at the end.

I prefer to tip at the end of each 2-tank trip out, when I'm stepping off the boat. I also tip in Pesos, which I have ordered for me from my local bank before heading down that way. Make sure you tip Servando or Jorge directly, and they will tip out the captain themselves. Have fun.

I prefer to tip at the end of each 2-tank trip out, when I'm stepping off the boat. I also tip in Pesos, which I have ordered for me from my local bank before heading down that way. Make sure you tip Servando or Jorge directly, and they will tip out the captain themselves. Have fun.

Boy, that's an expensive way to acquire pesos. Probably THE most expensive way.

Anyone know what rate ATMs exchange at?

Wells Fargo is currently at 0.07804, which seems reasonable since Google tells me the current exchange rate (for giant buyers) is 0.073.

But if ATMs are going to exchange a lot better than that, then I'd go to an ATM; but don't ATMs usually have a lot of fees associated with them?

Anyone know what rate ATMs exchange at?

Wells Fargo is currently at 0.07804, which seems reasonable since Google tells me the current exchange rate (for giant buyers) is 0.073.

But if ATMs are going to exchange a lot better than that, then I'd go to an ATM; but don't ATMs usually have a lot of fees associated with them?
I think WF charges me 3% just to use my card there, but not sure.

ATMs don't exchange. They give cash with debit card use. Fees vary, some outlandish, and fraud happens.

I think WF charges me 3% just to use my card there, but not sure.
ATMs don't exchange. They give cash with debit card use. Fees vary, some outlandish, and fraud happens.

Oh, I meant to go into Wells Fargo and buy pesos. The only credit card I use in Mexico has no foreign transaction fee, and we got it for the express purpose of international travel.

ATMs have to exchange. The money in my bank is in dollars, the money it spits out is in pesos. An exchange happens. Is the rate a lot better than what WF would give me that it is worth the risk of fraud (which my bank also covers, but it's a giant PITA if someone empties my bank account!) Which is why I'm wondering what rate they exchange at. And depending on what the fees are, it would be worth taking the lesser exchange rate at the bank, since I don't pay a fee there. (I don't use ATMs in the states, so I am nervous about using them outside the country. In the US I exist cashless, and if I really need paper money I go into the bank once or twice a year to get it.)

I always use the Bamex machine at Mega (never a ATM on a street) I get whatever the official exchange rate is plus a ATM fee of around $30 MEX (3 USD) plus foreign transation fee. On the 6th I was getting 0.074188 or 13.479 peso's to the doller plus ATM fee. My bank (credit union)charges 1 % for a foreign transation fee but this varies bank to bank. As for the ATM fees there are varies linkages beteeen banks that waive the ATM fees such as HSBC and Santander, check with your bank.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom