Tres Pelicanos question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the help :)

I'm getting really excited, my trip is coming up very soon! Since I have next week off, I only have 4 work days left.

Now, the poor weather just needs to blow away.

I decided to go right to the source for some information on this and this was their reply:

"Tips are accepted either way. Pesos or US dollars ( NO CANADIAN). Tipping can be done each day or at the end of the dive. Sometimes a client will have a different dive master but we have records of who worked with who on what day. Thus if a person chooses to leave a gratuity at the end of their stay, we divvy it up for the guys who worked that day with them."

This is a class operation. You dont have to worry about the money being divided up appropriately.

As stated either daily or at the end (it is nice to mention early that you plan to tip at the end if not daily). The TP crew are adults and pretty tight so if daily either your DM or Captain, if at the end either Jeannie, Pony or Martin at the office. The tips are pooled and devided between the DM's, Captain (s) and back office staff.

If I do tip daily- with TP, do I need to tip separately the captain and the DM, or will they split the tip. (Specific answers for this op would be very helpful.) Who do I give it to?

---------- Post added November 19th, 2014 at 12:40 PM ----------

I have dived with TP and have talked to the DM's about how the tips works.
Tip either way, daily or at the end.
Tip with either dollars or pesos, both are very much appreciated.
The tips are spilt 50/50 between the DM and captain.
I have also been told that some of the tip money goes towards the folks back in the office.

Hope this helps

Gary you beat me to it.

If you tip in dollars, keep in mind they need to be free from any rips or tears. Many banks and shops will not accept a torn bill. Have a great time on the island.

If you tip in dollars, keep in mind they need to be free from any rips or tears. Many banks and shops will not accept a torn bill. Have a great time on the island.
That's true for pesos as well.

So what do you do when the ATM spits out pesos that aren't in good condition? Who takes them?

That happened to me with a large denomination note. A corner was torn off. My hotel front desk took the bill and gave me a replacement.

So what do you do when the ATM spits out pesos that aren't in good condition? Who takes them?

That is one of the main reasons that I withdraw the money ahead of time before I leave the states. It gives me a chance exchange any damaged notes. Personally, I tip in dollars. I suck at math.

I tip daily and with good reason. You NEVER know when conditions can change enough to end your diving with the op your using. It also makes it easier for those on the boat to divide it up however they do it. Years ago I waited until the end of a trip & tracked everyone down to tip them personally but that was rather challenging.

They're not going to go inside a bank, unless they absolutely have to. They don't want to wait in line for 1/2 hr +, any more than you and I do. The dollars will be spent at Mega or Chedraui which will give them a very good exchange rate.

That's true for pesos as well.

There's a lot more latitude with pesos though. They are more familiar with their own currency, and like us, feel like they'd be able to differentiate between a counterfeit vs. a well used/worn bill.

The ATM will not spit our pesos that won't be accepted.

Back
Top Bottom