Tres Pelicanos question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can pay for the shuttle with US$ - no problem. Some book packages with prepaid shuttle vouchers that cost twice as much! Just Ignore the "helpful" time share hawks and get in line to buy a ticket.

I tip after each trip so they know I am not going to stiff them. I hate expected tipping, but it's an evil part of the game, and I do want to play. Good tipping in dollars or pesos often yields better service as you go.

If I do tip daily- with TP, do I need to tip separately the captain and the DM, or will they split the tip. (Specific answers for this op would be very helpful.) Who do I give it to?

---------- Post added November 19th, 2014 at 12:40 PM ----------

I hate expected tipping, but it's an evil part of the game, and I do want to play.

I just consider the tip to be part of the price. It's like a "resort fee" when you thought you had a great hotel rate.

It's a tip so you can tip when YOU want to. My personal preference is to tip at the end of each day. Not only do I think the Instructors/DMs like to get paid immediately for a days work, I like my tips to give them immediate feedback about my satisfaction or lack thereof.

It's nice that you're asking about tipping. I'm sorry to say that a very large percentage of divers do NOT tip Instructors/DMs here in the USA or in the Caribbean. It's much worse here in the USA. In the Caribbean I would estimate 50-60% of satisfied customers tip. Here in Texas, USA I would say it's less than 10%.

I tip at the end and it is not a problem at all. The first time I dove with them I emailed back and forth with them a LOT before the trip started. I think they were actually surprised when I tipped, LOL, but even not expecting a tip they treated me like family (no, not THAT part of the family.....the part they actually :p )

They are extremely accommodating and I have no doubt that they really dont care which currency is used for the tip.

If I do tip daily- with TP, do I need to tip separately the captain and the DM, or will they split the tip. (Specific answers for this op would be very helpful.) Who do I give it to?

Put the tip directly into the hand of the DM. The DM is suppose to tip out his boat captain. If you're unsure that is happening, just ask..

For those of you who wait until the end of the week to tip, I hope you speak up ahead of time if you're not being satisfied. I think it's chicken sh*t to not tip at the end of the week if you didn't bother to let someone know you weren't getting the service that you wanted or expected as the week progressed.

Put the tip directly into the hand of the DM. The DM is suppose to tip out his boat captain. If you're unsure that is happening, just ask..

Thank you.

I guess if the boat captain refuses to pick me up at the end of the next day's dive, I'll know it didn't happen :)

The DM typically shares tips with the captain. I tip the DM at the end of each dive when we get back to the dock.

I haven't been out with Tres Pelicanos, but that's the way it was (and still is) at Blue Angel when Jeanie (now at TP) was running their shop.

I tip in pesos. I don't know for sure that the local folks can spend dollars as easily as we can.

I decided to go right to the source for some information on this and this was their reply:

"Tips are accepted either way. Pesos or US dollars ( NO CANADIAN). Tipping can be done each day or at the end of the dive. Sometimes a client will have a different dive master but we have records of who worked with who on what day. Thus if a person chooses to leave a gratuity at the end of their stay, we divvy it up for the guys who worked that day with them."

This is a class operation. You dont have to worry about the money being divided up appropriately.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom