Treating New Mask with Prescription Lens Inserts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flfishhead

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Recently received my first dive mask with prescription lens inserts (had to, unfortunately, stop wearing contacts). Haven't used the mask yet; however, after I got it home, I began to wonder how does one, initially, treat a brand new mask with prescription lens inserts. The mask manual recommends diluted detergent to initially treat a new mask. I've also seen toothpaste rubbed on the inside of a new mask (don't really think this is a good idea with lens inserts). Also, is it necessary to treat the inside of a mask with lens inserts with anti-fog solution before each dive, as with an ordinary mask? Would appreciate any suggestions.:confused:

If I recall, I just washed the new inserts with soap and water. On the outside of the mask I did indeed use toothpaste; regular, not gel. You need to get all the byproducts of the manufacturing process, oil and gunk, off. Don't use a lot of pressure, and be sure you get all the nooks and crannies. When you dive, just use defog as you normally would. It's a great underwater world. Even better when you can see it; and your gauges.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom